Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Cell 8 LIVE CHAT

Join us here on Thursday January 19th from 

12:00 to 2:00 pm EST

11:00AM - 1:00 CST

9:00AM - 11:00 PST

for a live chat with the authors of Cell 8

Anders Roslund and Borge Hellstrom

Mark your calendars and check back for this great opportunity

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Cell 8 LIVE CHAT

here's what Nathaniel Marunas said about tomorrows live chat

Anders and Borge are excited about tomorrow's live chat, too—they are eager to interact with their US fans online. Everyone should feel free to bring up subjects from any of their books that have been published here: BOX 21, THREE SECONDS, and CELL 8. And please tell everyone you know you might be interested in joining the discussion but who are not part of the Book Club here! That's 12:00 to 2:00 EST tomorrow, January 19.

Be sure to tune in, don't miss this once in a lifetime opportunity, Anders and Borge are only in the US for a short time promoting Cell 8 and will be at the SilverOak offices tomorrow to chat with us.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

15 minutes and counting :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

First of all I want to thank Nathaniel for facilitating this chat and I want to welcome our authors

Mr's Anders Roslund and Borge Hellstrom

thank you both for being with us.

Congratulations for this new US release of Cell 8 the third released here in the US with the Grens crime fighting team at the helm.

How many novels are in the series with Inspector Grens

And do you have a set amount of novels in the series

Frequent Contributor
SilverOakNM
0 Kudos

Hi, Everyone: I am here with Anders Roslund and Börge Hellström, authors of the novel CELL 8, which was published here in the United States two weeks ago. The crime-writing duo are also the authors of four other books about Stockholm detective Ewert Grens and his team of investigators, three of which—BOX 21, last year's New York Times bestseller THREE SECONDS, and now CELL 8—have been translated into English. As many of you know, THREE SECONDS won international acclaim and several crime-writing awards, including best Swedish Crime Novel.

Without further ado, it is with great pleasure that I present Anders and Börge to you all. They are ready and willing to field any questions you might have about their books, the recent popularity of Swedish crime fiction, their favorite authors, the sport of curling, lutfisk, the temperature in Stockholm, etc. Fire away!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi gentelmen and welcome, it's so nice to have you chatting with us today.

Okay I'll bite, how's the weather in Sweden right now

and who are your favorite authors,

I will not ask about curling or lutefish :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
SilverOakNM
0 Kudos

Börge and Anders here: This is an answer to Debbie's question about the number of planned books in the series about Grens and his team.

Swedish writers, especially crime writers—and many US writers, too, including such modern authors as Michael Connelly—were inspired by the incredible writing partners Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö, who produced a series of 10 books that are internationally very, very famous. As a result, most Swedish authors tend to answer this question by saying, "10! We'll write 10 novels." 

At the moment, the manuscript for the 6th Grens book is on the desk of our publisher in Sweden and we have two perfect plots already planned out for books 7 and 8. Then if, we don't kill each other over the writing of those next two books, we plan to write numbers 9 and 10, and maybe even 11, if we manage to live that long. We like to joke sometimes that we will write 9 or 11 in total, just to be different from all the other Swedish authors! 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Here's another question for you

Where do you get your novel ideas from - Was there someithing specific that inspired Cell 8

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Thanks for answering my question

Do you plan on any more cross continent storylines

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Here is a question just for Cell 8

how has the reception been for the controversial background story of capital punishment

has it differed between Sweden and here in the US

Frequent Contributor
SilverOakNM
0 Kudos

This is a response to the question about the weather and about our favorite authors:

The weather in Sweden right now is not so good, or at least not so normal—it's raining, so obviously it's not as cold as it should be at this time of year. This is the most unusual weather we've ever experienced, in fact. Usually by December there is snow everywhere in Sweden, but this year there is no snow still! Everyone is talking about global warming, of course, but as a retired meteorologist friend of ours says, "The weather has no memory." Anyway, it's not what it usually is.

As for authors, here are the two of us speaking for ourselves:

BORGE: Edgar Allan Poe is one of my very favorites--he is a spooky man, that one. I really like the older authors, as you can tell from these, so one of my other favorites is Leon Uris! And from Sweden, all crime writers are inspired and influenced by the great playwright August Strindberg.

ANDERS: We are very proud here in Sweden of the latest Nobel prize laureate, Tomas Transtörmer, who is unable to speak and gave a musical acceptance of the prize. I am a big fan of his. In the US, I love Dennis Lehane. And I also am inspired by Strindberg.

Look, it's a historical moment--we agree on something! Strindberg!

New User
Sila77

Hi guys! Really excited you're here to answer our fan-mail and questions. A good deal of the plot is set in the US, specifically in Ohio. Did you guys go to Ohio yourselves or did you conduct interviews to get an idea of what life is like there? There seems to be a lot of detail about U.S. prison life—is that based on interviews or personal observation? Did you talk to any prison guards or wardens who work in Death Row prisons in the state? 

becke_davis

Hi! Can we expect more books by these authors soon? If so, will there be a delay before we get them in the U.S.?

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991

Welcome! Thank you very much for coming! I'm curious what inspired you to write?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Frequent Contributor
SilverOakNM
0 Kudos

When we met in 1997, we had a couple of ideas for writing books together right away. For example, we debated the prison system in Sweden and the sentencing of criminals here and that generated a lot of ideas for our books. Some of those ideas are still generating plot lines for the books today.

As it turned out, CELL 8 was inspired at least in part by Börge's own experiences as a convict. For us, the book is not really a book about the death penalty, even though it figures so heavily in the plot. What we were trying to accomplish is to draw the line between revenge, which is a personal sort of feeling that is an emotional response, and redemption (the closest English word to what in Sweden is "uppratelse"), which is something else again because it suggests that you have been healed, inside. The best way we could think of to draw this distinction was to bring an American to Sweden and place him at the center of the death penalty debate and give the characters around him the chance to tease out the different ways to look at crime and its consequences.

It is a book about perpetrators and victims and how often they are the exact same person.

BORGE here: As a perpetrator I was a bad person, there is no question, but I was also a victim in my life. And when people learn that about me, it puts my crimes into a different light for them--as a victim, I am a sympathetic person. But the people who were victimized by me, most of them never experienced the redemption or retribution that they deserve because in a sense it is not possible. Something was taken from them as a result of the crimes I committed that they will never get back, and in a way, as a reformed criminal I have lost something irretrievable, too.

Frequent Contributor
SilverOakNM
0 Kudos

ANDERS here, about the prison system in Ohio: I lived in the United States on two different occasions, once in Colorado and once in Washington, D.C. It was during that time that I visited four prisons in four states, one of them in Ohio. I was allowed officially into two of those prisons because I was working as a reporter for Swedish television, but I was also able to ask many of the questions we needed to ask to get the background for the story of CELL 8. I spoke to many of the prisoners and a few of the guards who work at these prisons.

BORGE here: I have a Swedish friend who even now works as a guard in a US prison in a state that allows the death penalty, who is able to answer many of the questions we have about the prison system as it really is for the prisoners on Death Row. That connection has been invaluable. In fact, the guard in CELL 8 who cannot watch another execution because it makes him physically sick is based on a real US prison warden with the same reactions.

Finally, we want to make sure our readers know that all of our plot lines are thoroughly researched, firsthand, in a way that makes the story as realistic as possible. As a journalist, Anders approaches this research in the same way he would a news story, but he is able to dig deeper because he can speak to people off the record by assuring them he is talking to them as a novelist.

Frequent Contributor
SilverOakNM
0 Kudos

Yes, there will be more books from us in the US. The sixth book in the Grens series is with our Swedish publisher now. If everything goes smoothly, that book should be available in America in late 2013. The title of the new book hasn't been decided yet, but we are in discussions about it now. As you can imagine, publishers and authors sometimes need some extra time to agree on a book title.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for taking this time to answer all our questions

I have and I'm sure the other commenters here have learned many things we didn't know before about you, soon you will have no secrets from us :smileyhappy:

here's a question about the translations, many translated novels are only translated into one version of English either US or Queens, what made you decide to use both forms of tanslating and do you find that fans in the different English speaking countries appreciate that.

Also how many languages are your novels translated into,

Frequent Contributor
SilverOakNM
0 Kudos

We were both parole officers at one point, and when we first met and started to talk we found that we held many similar positions on some of the issues about prisoners and the penal system. We decided that novels would be the most effective way to spread the discussion about these important issues because novels have such wide appeal. A good story and a strong plot are always our first consideration when we write, but we always build those stories around the matters we feel need to be part of the discussion.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

SilverOakNM wrote:

Yes, there will be more books from us in the US. The sixth book in the Grens series is with our Swedish publisher now. If everything goes smoothly, that book should be available in America in late 2013. The title of the new book hasn't been decided yet, but we are in discussions about it now. As you can imagine, publishers and authors sometimes need some extra time to agree on a book title.

How much input do you have in the titles?