Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Booklover68
0 Kudos

Characters in books

[ Edited ]
I would like to hear from authors about how they pick the names of their characters. I can almost tell the good guys from the bad at the beginning of the book by their names.

If a book is very involved and has many characters, it would be nice to have a reference page at the front of the book to list their relationships to one another. Many times I had to go back and find a certain person's previous history, so I can make sense of the story. There was one book I read a long time ago that had a reference section, and it was very useful.

Marika

Message Edited by Booklover68 on 01-27-200703:30 PM

Contributor
kkfern
0 Kudos

Re: Characters in books

Greetings

That is an interesting thought. When I was a programmer we called it end line thinking. That is when we programmed something we would start at the end because we knew what we wanted. So it is also with writing. In the end we know the character of our character but not the handle by which to know him.

That is the trick. I find it better to not give a common name. The reader will then identify with a person they know instead of the person you are creating. A good example of this is Harry Potter. How many Harrys do you know? The second trick, and this is a trick, is to give the name something that you can picture. Another good example is Potter. So without knowing it the reader will have the picture of a potter going on in their mind so they will automatically associate it to the character and therefore have an easier time following the story line because you know whom they are talking about.

Keeping these ideas in mind will make the reference page unnecessary. It is also one of the reasons I picked Fern as a pen name. Writing is not only about the skill, it is about the tricks.

Yours,
Kathryn Fern
Contributor
Booklover68
0 Kudos

O.K. Here is another question. Do you think it is harder for a male author to write a first person story where the main character is a female?

I just started reading The Dogs of Babel, and I am completely taken with the Ms. Parkhurst's keen ability to write from a man's perspective. Is that a special talent.

Marika
Contributor
Booklover68
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi,

Do you write? I write short essays about things I have been experiencing since I have retired.

When I was still working, three of us at the office signed up for "word-for-the-day", and as soon as we had a week worth of words we took turns composing a story. It was one of the most enjoyable time for me. We didn't know where the story will go. It started in Cuba and ended in Venice. In between we had done a lot of research, so I can appreciate how much research authors have to do when they undertake a new book.

Marika

Message Edited by Booklover68 on 01-29-200705:06 PM

Message Edited by Booklover68 on 01-29-200705:06 PM

New User
spikeandsora
0 Kudos

I have been writing many books and stories, and what I do is I adapt off of other names. Such as these:
Zexion-Zelion
Sapphire-Saphir
Some I just take some names with a different personality, and also I just think of names randomly.
"No second chances. I'm that sort of man."-The Tenth Doctor
"As everything is born, they are also condemned to die."-Haku