Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
savagemonk
0 Kudos

Children's book title (60's,70's,80's? publication)

[ Edited ]

My girlfriend says she would love to find a book she used to read when she was a kid. My girlfriend was born in 74' and remembers having it as a child. She has very few details but I've seen some amazing results from this site on other long forgotten book titles and hope you all can help.

The only details we have are that the book was most likely published sometime between 1970-1987 (not for sure) and has something to do with a a girl who daydreams of what it would be like to have many children one day or babysitting many children. The one illustration she sort of remembers is one of babies all over the place (on the floor, on the furniture, and even a baby even climbing out the window using bedsheets). I never read this book so I'm lost as to how to find it.
If anyone can provide any help it's greatly appreciated by us both.

Also, this is another thing that ,we are not sure of but the illustrations may be similar to a copy of 'The Best Christmas Pageant Ever', illustrated by Judith Gwyn Brown, as seen here:

http://buggyjill.blogspot.com/2007/12/yuletide-greetings.html

Message Edited by savagemonk on 12-03-2008 02:29 AM
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Children's book title (60's,70's,80's? publication)

This is the veritable needle in the haystack.   If she can remember any character names, that would be a place to start.   The first Babysitter's club book was published in 1986 - Kristen's Big Idea?  and I bought and read them all, along with my daughter, who was born in late '83.  The illustration you mentioned is ringing a bell.

The thing is, with illustrations like the one you mentioned, this could be a really old book.  Does she remember is the illustration was pen and ink, or colored?   

Stephanie
Contributor
savagemonk
0 Kudos

No, unfortunately for us, she really hasn't got much to work. She does say that the book illustration in her memory (although fuzzy), resembles the work of judith gywn brown from "the best christmas pageant ever" (sketched artwork) so I'm assuming it may be a bit of a mixture of both.
Contributor
savagemonk
0 Kudos

I guess another bit of info that may be helpful is that she remembers it as feeling sort of like a 'little girl who lived in a shoe' scenario. My gf and even her older brother remember the book as making them want to spank the children in the book, so I take it they must be very michevious babies and the girl in the story was in over her head with the responsibility.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I searched the Library of Congress, and also some rare/hard to find book sites, but your best bet is probably to query some of the rare book dealers on the web.  Google: find old children's book (or try "search" instead of "find") and you'll see some of the sites I'm talking about.

Stephanie
New User
photorelativity
0 Kudos

Contributor
savagemonk
0 Kudos

We are currently looking for somewhere to view the pages or at least get more of a summary than the only one we've found on all sites pertaing to this story, ("Chris claims half the bedroom as her own private property, but realizes it is the half without a door--she will have to stay there forever unless she can find a graceful way out of her predicament.")...............but I think and am hopeful that you may have done the impossible! Thank you for your help. :smileyhappy:

New User
photorelativity
0 Kudos

Hi savagemonk,

Please let me know if that book ends up being the one...I'm really curious! It used to be one of my favorite books as a girl too! I just happened to have been looking at it on Amazon a week or so before I read your posts here.

Contributor
savagemonk
0 Kudos

That was amazing. I really appreciate your help. That was in fact the book my girlfriend had searched for, for so long!! I still can't believe you were able to come up with that from such limited details.

Thank you again and Have a Happy New Year!!!!

: )

New User
jrsketching
0 Kudos

Hi Photorelativity,

I happen to find this post thread as I was doing a random search for a very specific book.  It is KILLING ME that I can't find it...  Seeing that you helped Savagemonk find a book, I was wondering if you could help me find something as well.  (if it's too much trouble, no worries).  

This book I'm looking for as a title that says: People Go .. or People in Uniform..or something.. I know it says "People" but can't remember the rest.  The book cover is dark green itself and has a picture of a dark haired kid (maybe 2 kids)  looking at the street.  Illustrations look almost like cut outs.  I don't have any artist to make reference to.  Big letters, simple pictures.  And I also remember there being a  bit with some pigeons in it.  I can say it was definitely published 80's to VERY early 90's.  

I would sincerely appreciate it if you could help me with this.  I have a child now (3 months) and have been looking for this book ever since he was just a glimmer in our eyes. :smileywink:

Thanks! 

New User
coolkittymama
0 Kudos

Okay, I noticed that You were able to help someone to find a book here, so maybe You can point me in the right direction...

I am trying to help my husband find a children's book that his deceased mother (Eva Maria Gaisser, maiden name Hauswald) published when he was a teen.  Because of the fact that he was a teen, he did not pay attention much to the fact that his mother had even had a book published at all, and now he of course regrets that very much.  I would love to help him find it if You might know how to point me in the right direction...  All I know is that the characters were named after their pets and maybe there was a teddy bear named Koki, may not be spelled correctly....and of course the pets were most definitely cats.  There may even have been characters named after her children, Thomas and Shirley.  I am thinking that since he is 37 now, it would have probably been published in the 80's or maybe even early 90's. 

Any help is most certainly appreciated as I cannot imagine the loss of a mother, and I am sure that hind sight is Always 20/20.

Blessings

Heather Gaisser

New User
mommamilley
0 Kudos

Hi , I came upon this site by accident. I am trying to find a story book that my mother used to read to me as a child. I was born in 1965 so I can only assume it was published around then. I believe the book was just a story book with pictures on each page . But I do remember the name it was called Me Too.

Thanks

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

mommamilley wrote:

Hi , I came upon this site by accident. I am trying to find a story book that my mother used to read to me as a child. I was born in 1965 so I can only assume it was published around then. I believe the book was just a story book with pictures on each page . But I do remember the name it was called Me Too.

Thanks

Me Too!  by Mercer Mayer

Is it this one, Momma Milley?  The author seems to have created several related titles as well.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
Artzy
0 Kudos

Hi, I am also looking for a childhood book that I wish to introduce to my 8 year old daughter. I dont remember the title but do remember some details. I remember it was a great story and it was about a girl, written in 1st person narrarative. the girl told about her summer vacation and the simple yet fun events that happened in her small town. I remember she was sort of a tom boy and in one particular part of the story she told of a contest in her town that she participated which was called, "The dirtiest Sneakers Contest"; I dont remember if she won or not but do remember that she entered the contest and purposefully overwore her sneakers and beat them down til the day of the contest so she would win. The prize was a new pair of sneakers by the contest host, the town shoe store owner. The title of the book was something related to food, maybe like a shake but in a metaphoric way, I might be wrong but i think that is close. I remember the book had illustrations in a sketch simple design in ink, no color. I am trying hard here to remember and trying to be as accurate as possible to remember in order to find this book. It was a chapter book and I would say maybe 4th or 5th grade level. I am 27 years old and I read this book when I was probably in 10 years old so that means maybe published in the late 80s orthe early 90s...I hope someone can remember this book and help me recall something else if not the title.

New User
nook_wormette
0 Kudos

Collection of Children's Bedtime Stories from 80's?

Hi, 

I remember my grandmother reading to me out of a collection of bedtime stories.  The book was a larger hardcover.  The collection contained "The Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat," "Winken, Blinken, and Nod," "The Shoemaker and His Elves," and many other stories.  I can't remember at all what the book is called and have been unsuccessful at finding it.  Can anyone help me figure out this book?

Thanks!  

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Collection of Children's Bedtime Stories from 80's?

nook_wormette wrote:

Hi, 

I remember my grandmother reading to me out of a collection of bedtime stories.  The book was a larger hardcover.  The collection contained "The Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat," "Winken, Blinken, and Nod," "The Shoemaker and His Elves," and many other stories.  I can't remember at all what the book is called and have been unsuccessful at finding it.  Can anyone help me figure out this book?

Thanks!  

Hi nook, that's quite a stumper

the best bet is the doubleday series from the 50's and 60's and the best pod of them I could find was on goodreads

http://www.goodreads.com/series/55094-best-in-children-s-books

hope it helps

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

nook_wormette wrote:

Hi, 

Thanks!  

I can't help you with the book, but it you want to find "The Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat", it is several places online.  It is a poem that I remembered from grade school days and finally went looking for a few years ago.  It is also called "The Duel" and was written by Eugene Field.  Here is one instance of it:

http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/gingham.htm

It looks to me as if "The Shoemaker and His Elves" is a Brother's Grimm fairy tale and isn't "Winken, Blinken, and Nod" a nursery rhyme?  So, if it helps anyone's memory, this truly sounds like a collection of bedtime stories (and rhymes), just as Nook calls it.

Do you remember anything about the cover or the illustrations that might stir someone's memory? 

Try the Lost Books board, too, if you haven't already. 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Thanks Pepper for mentioning the Lost Books, this bug that has me has my mind in mush :smileyhappy:

New User
laurakram4
0 Kudos

I'm hoping someone can help me find a book that my mom and Dad use to read to me in the early 80's.  All I can remember is great illustrations, lots of pigs, I think they were living in a house.  And at the end of the book, I just remember seeing a bunch of pigs in the kitchen, and in the illustration, they were doing all different things, such as hiding in cabinets.  Any thoughts?  Thank you!

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/pigs-in-hiding-arlene-dubanevich/1002090360?ean=9780590445030      

I'm not sure if this is the book you are thinking of or not, but this link will take you to the B&N page for "Pigs in Hiding" by by Arlene Dubanevich. It appears to only be available through marketplace sellers here.

If this is the correct book, you may want to search Pigs In Hiding on YouTube. I found a video by Wagner Junior Junior there that is the animated version of the book that you might enjoy.

Hope this helps.