Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Kalie
0 Kudos

Dead until Dark

I am just about to finish Dead Until Dark and I am not sure if I should continue on to the next book in the series, Dead in Dallas.  I thought the first one was just O.K. and I am wondering if the series will get better.  It was quite a let down after just finishing the Twilight saga.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Dead until Dark

Kalie wrote:

I am just about to finish Dead Until Dark and I am not sure if I should continue on to the next book in the series, Dead in Dallas.  I thought the first one was just O.K. and I am wondering if the series will get better.  It was quite a let down after just finishing the Twilight saga.

The answer is YES. They get better. Come over to paranormal. Several of us will tell you the same thing. 

Contributor
writers_fable
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TiggerBear wrote:

Kalie wrote:

The answer is YES. They get better. Come over to paranormal. Several of us will tell you the same thing. 

I will vouch for that as well. I haven't had a chance to finish the series, my mind tends to wonder to other books. LOL.

But yes, they do get better. 

Twilight just didn't do it for me at all.

Message Edited by writers_fable on 12-14-2008 09:45 PM
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Kalie wrote--I am just about to finish Dead Until Dark and I am not sure if I should continue on to the next book in the series, Dead in Dallas.  I thought the first one was just O.K. and I am wondering if the series will get better.  It was quite a let down after just finishing the Twilight saga

Yes, please move on to Dead in Dallas, the series get better with get book.  Wander over to the paranormal thread and I am sure you will find a lot of us that feel the same way.  :smileyhappy:

Phyllis
Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

I was the same way after reading Twilight, nothing compared but I have to say I'm starting to enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse collection. I watched the series on HBO and now I'm hooked. Keep reading, I'm sure you'll wind up enjoying them as well. :smileyhappy:
To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Contributor
CompulsiveReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Kalie,

Unfortunately if you are like me there won't be anything to compare to Twilight; for some reason I can't find anything as good as Bella & Edward :smileysad: However, I did enjoy the Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine. I have to admit that I was disappointed with the television series after reading the first book. I have completed the series (waiting for 'Dead and Gone' to come out in May of this year) and found them to be uncomplicated quick reads. I found the relationships interesting and have family from that area so the idea of Vampires in the swamps appealed to me.

I hope you move on to the next book in the series and enjoy what Charlaine offers in her unique view of the south and vampires.

Amanda

Message Edited by CompulsiveReader on 01-07-2009 03:07 AM
Message Edited by CompulsiveReader on 01-07-2009 03:08 AM
New User
Angel64
0 Kudos

I read the entire Sookie Stackhouse series and I wish there were more.  There is much to come with respect to creatures and unexpected situations.  The series is not limited to vampires but is only designed around these creatures.  You may be surprised to find out what Charlaine has in store for the innocent waitress.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Angel64,

There will be a new Sookie book out the first of May and the title is Dead and Gone.  Charlaine has the first chapter posted on her website if you are interested in getting a sneak peak.  And she has said that she has a few more that she would like to write.  So the series is not finished yet.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
Sammah
0 Kudos

I just finished Dead Until Dark after falling in love with True Blood on HBO. I just ordered the next Sookie Stackhouse book, and I'm looking forward to it. I hope the rest of the series is just as interesting as the first book was.

Anyone have any suggestions for other good vampire books? Besides Twilight or Anne Rice.

Oh, come on. You heard them, just behind the veil, didn't you? They were just lurking out of sight, that's all.
-Luna Lovegood, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Contributor
CompulsiveReader
0 Kudos

Sammah,

Depending on what you like I have read the following other series:

Young Adult: 

Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz

House of Night by P.C and Kristin Cast 

Adult:

Anita Blake by Laurell K Hamilton (Vampire Hunter)

The Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward (More of a Romance series but centered around Vamps)

I am a chicken when it comes to scary books - so probably not the best to give advice on Vamp books, but I have read all of the ones above. 

Amanda 

New User
Dark1X
0 Kudos

I hate to hear that the story line in "Dead Until Dark" has proven to fall short of your taste for satisfaction.  I offer to you, however, a truly refreshing read.  If you are looking for "new" yet SATISFYING material, I invite you to explore my new web site, dedicated to all persons who enjoy dark, chilling tales that captivate and stimulate your cravings for a good scare--stories that also have a well-written plot.  My site is currently a collection of "Short Stories" that I've devised...particularly so that I might reveal a sufficient evidence base of my skills and "style" as a "Dark" writer; a style I believe will truly captivated the minds of those persons who would bravely chose to "follow" my career.

I'm currently making available ("FREE", no strings attached) three of my stories for full public view, for all dark fiction readers--or to anyone, for that matter, seeking new ideas to consider.  There are, at this point, eight chilling tales being offered at the site.

So...please review the site, and be certain to send me a "REPLY", advising me of your thoughts.  Said site is located @ www.daoodbrown.com...  Enjoy!

"Dark Fiction"