Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Dean Koontz answers your questions in his new video blog!

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to announce that Dean Koontz is here to post his video responses to the questions that you asked last month!  

We won't be taking any new questions in this thread, but please feel free to respond to Dean's answers here or to each other.

Stay tuned for a brief introduction from Dean, as well as his introductory video.  The first of the videos will be posted on Monday, and a new video will be posted every day for the next several days.   So be sure to check back frequently to see if your question is one of those that Dean chose to answer in his video blog!

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Author
Dean_Koontz
0 Kudos

Re: Dean Koontz answers your questions in his new video blog!

[ Edited ]
Hi—I’m Dean Koontz. This is a new experience for me. Writing books can be a solitary business, so it is always exciting to be able to interact with readers. I assure you I enjoy the feedback and the questions, although some of you do have me a little worried (you know who you are). I'm eager to hear what your reaction to my video answers will be, so make sure you check back to see them all.

Click play below to watch my video introduction.

Message Edited by Dean_Koontz on 11-12-2008 03:30 PM

Learn more about Your Heart Belongs to Me.

Discover all Dean Koontz titles.
Author
Dean_Koontz
0 Kudos

Sequels

Howard wrote:

Hi Dean,

I remember reading sometime back that you had an aversion to sequels.  I think I read that a little after I first read "Dark Rivers of the Heart", a book that really screamed "Sequel".

After the second "Chris Snow" book came out, i thought maybe there is a chance you would revisit some past books. 

Then you wrote another book screaming for a sequel "By the Light of the Moon".  I think I even remember reading that you planed sequels for that one.  I'm not sure.

Now we have "Odd Thomas" and for him, the sequel list keeps growing.  He is a great character, but you have had many great heroes.

My questions are: 

So why has only "Odd Thomas" captured your sequel quill? 

When is the next "Chris Snow" book coming out?

Will you ever go back to either the worlds of "Dark Rivers of the Heart" (please) or "By the Light of the Moon".

Thanks for all the hours of pleasure reading (and listening) you have provided me.

Howard 

Author
Dean_Koontz
0 Kudos

A Third Frankenstein?

suzzion wrote:
When are you going to finish the Frankenstein series???

ginitonic wrote:

Dear Dean, are you going to finish the Frankenstein series? The book not the comic. I have been waiting for the book after City of the Night for a very long time. I know you touched on it on your homepage a while back but I can not find where it is now. I really want to find out what happens to Deucalion and Victor.

Gini

Mark54 wrote:
When do you plan to release the next Frankenstein novel?

fabiola29 wrote:
I have read book 1 & 2 in the Frankenstein series over a year ago................WHEN is the third one going to be published?!?!   Very soon, I hope!!!!  Actually, wasn't it supposed to come out this year??

Author
Dean_Koontz
0 Kudos

Killer Artists

Rozalina wrote:

Dear Dean,

As I was recently re-reading your book Velocity, I was struck by the usage of a serial killer who invents a murderous game in the name of art. Was that an indirect - or rather very direct - critique of contemporary art and in extension of the so-called postmodern society that in the "everything-goes" spirit and constant investigation of limits may push a person to a murderous (yet creative) spree in the name of Art? I would appreciate any response as I am actually thinking of basing my MA dissertation on your book!

Author
Dean_Koontz
0 Kudos

Special Needs Characters

[ Edited ]

mkdiva wrote:

I am curious to wonder how you gave some of your characters Autism/Asperger's Syndrome.  When you wrote some of these characters these disorders were not popular.

How did you get the disorders so accurate?

I have a daughter with Asperger's Syndrome and your characters have enlightened me.  To laugh at some of the niaeve/anti social symptoms.  Not once have I ever felt that you did any unjust to the disorders.  It is as if you lived it or had someone very close live it.

My most favorite is By the Light of the Moon.  I laughed so much, understanding the difficulty Shep has.

Thank you for your wonderful books.  I am in the process of reading all of them and have come down to the rarest to find.

MKDiva

Karenreads wrote:

Dear Dean,

I think I have read just about everything you've written (that's still in print) and a few questions have occurred to me along the way. I've noticed that you have several characters named Roy and they are usually antagonists.... any reason for that or is it coincidental?

I see you have a passion for dogs and handicapped children, I've heard you speak of how you fell in love with Trixie, but regarding disabled kids, how did this come about?

Speaking of Trixie, I lost my Eskie to a similar condition a few months after Trixie passed. When I read the description of the dog being put down in Darkest Evening, it tore me apart. Did you write it after Trixie's passing and was that how it happened? Will you ever get another dog?

I have also read that you are a former teacher. Do you ever miss it? As a Libertarian, how do you now feel about public education?

Karen

Message Edited by Dean_Koontz on 11-16-2008 09:46 PM

Author
Dean_Koontz
0 Kudos

Trixie's Books

suep60 wrote:

I've noticed that you've been doing a lot of diverse writing lately in that you are doing the Frankenstein comics, the Odd Magna comics and Trixies books. As much as I enjoy them, when are you going to get back to the good ole meat and potatoes Dean stuff that so many of us love? I miss being behind in your books on my shelves, eagerly anticipating being kept up all hours of the night reading. While the comics are ok, they really aren't meaty enough for me and I read through them in less than a day. I'm still waiting for the rest of the Frankenstein series as well as any new stuff you have. I know that puts enormous pressure on you but frankly, I going crazy having to find anything half worth while to read that is of any quality, compared to you! Please, help me!! At least I have something now the end of November but that sure seems a long way off!

I'm the lady that spoke with you on the radio in Fredericksburg, Va. that won the baking contest with my cheesecake. I'm going so stir crazy I'm baking them for all my doctors now! (which they enjoy but I'm going broke so help me!) LOL! Thanks, and be well.

Author
Dean_Koontz
0 Kudos

Advice for Writers

april_12 wrote:

First of all, I just want to say how excited I am to be talking to you. You have been my favorite author since I was 13 years old and I absolutely LOVE your books. I sound like a silly schoolgirl but my dream is to meet you :smileyhappy:.

Anyway, an even bigger dream of mine is to be a best-selling author. I guess my question to you is do you have any tips you could give me that would help make this a reality? Anything I could start doing now, classes I could take that would be useful, just anything you think might help me.

Thanks!!

New User
Lana
0 Kudos

Re: Advice for Writers

Hi Dean

OMG thank you so much for answering April's question.  This has helped me with my writing as you spoke about time management which is my problem.  Thanks for all the tips.......oh and incase you didnt know, you are my favourite author so will hold the most influence for me with my writing!

Looking forward to the latest book!

Regards

Lana

New User
V-Car
0 Kudos

I just want to thank Dean for taking the time to answer questions from readers - I didn't submit a question, but as I suspected, those questions I would have asked were asked by others and have now been answered. Like many, I am a great fan of the heroes in his sequels ... and am extremely excited to hear that there will be more Odd books, as well as another Chris Snow, and that the third Frankenstein should be out soon. As well, I love the way you can just feel the light shining through the darkness in his books! You know that the good will always win when you are reading a Koontz book - but you're never sure how! There is no formula to his writing ... the twists and turns keep me interested every time! I have also seen how those with illness and disability are so often the ones who complain the least, and can teach us the most - thanks again Dean for reminding us that there is so much good in this world, and sometimes in the places we least expect it!
Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Dean_Koontz wrote:
Hi—I’m Dean Koontz. This is a new experience for me. Writing books can be a solitary business, so it is always exciting to be able to interact with readers. I assure you I enjoy the feedback and the questions, although some of you do have me a little worried (you know who you are). I'm eager to hear what your reaction to my video answers will be, so make sure you check back to see them all.

Welcome, Dean!

These videos are great, and a whole lot of fun. The "rare autonomic response" made me laugh out loud.

Fans ... Dean has promised new videos every weekday through Nov. 26, so be sure to check back every day. If you're new here, consider setting up a My B&N profile (click on the big red button at the very top of this page). And remember, Your Heart Belongs to Me debuts on the 25th.

Author
Dean_Koontz

Writer's Block

Chad922 wrote:

Have you ever been about half-way or almost finished  with writing a novel and then you realized you were unable to finish the book because you couldn't really figure out how the novel should end?

New User
Lextacy

Re: Writer's Block

As I was reading through some of the questions this is one of the questions that popped into my head. I am in love with the idea of writing and can get premises together but when it comes down to the actual writing I can't seem to do it. I think taking writing classes has clouded my mind with thoughts of how writing should be done. You are so write on so many points you have made through your responses Dean. Thank you so much for being so responsive to your readers and fans and for being so darn entertaining. Im glad to see that you are a person with a great sense of humility and humor. If you ever do get the chance to respond to any of these posts I am curious to know if you ever watched the episode of family guy where you were mentioned.

Again thank you so much for countless hours of entertainment, inspiration and enjoyment. =)

New User
lamuhtaseb
0 Kudos

Re: Trixie's Books

Hi Dean,

I first want to thank you for your response regarding the Trixie Books (and all others) and commend you on your kindness in the donations of the proceeds!

I have found there are few popular authors (or even people in general) who will give so much!

As far as the food gifts you recieve by mail, I totally agree with you, as a matter of fact I generally do not eat the food gifts given to me from people I am aquianted with :smileyhappy: especially the pet food (by the way, I do not have a pet).....:smileytongue:

I look forward to each new book and have a question regarding the Odd Thomas series. I thought that you had released the latest "In Odd we Trust" and even thought I had seen it on a store shelf one day when i was running through on an errand but when I went back to purchase it, it was no longer there nor have i been able to find it on-line with any book club.

Did something happen to this or am I just totally losing it? Has it actually been released?

Thanks Again for all you do and all the joy you bring to so many people!!

Laura

Spread Happiness :smileyhappy:
It is contagious
Laurie
New User
april_12
0 Kudos

Re: Advice for Writers

Dean,

Thank you so much for answering my question. (Oh and just to clarify, I'm not 14 or 98... I'm almost 19 :smileyhappy:). I just want to say you have know idea how much it meant to me that you chose to reply to me. Thank you for making my day! I appreciate the advice and I will definitely use it in my writing career. Once again, thanks so much. Look for me in bookstores in a few years!

April Schiltz

New User
Rozalina
0 Kudos

Re: Killer Artists

Dear Dean,

Thanks for your reply! First of all, starting with your last comment about saying goodbye to my academic career if i'm going to base my dissertation on your book....well that made me laugh! Perhaps i put it the wrong way, because as much as i love your book (it was, after all, what "inspired" me to look at the idea of murder as art) my dissertation is going to investigate whether there is a relation between novels such as yours that purposely (and perhaps as a warning) represent artists as murderers and the increasing violence (as you said) in contemporary art movements. I was thinking that if people are willing to be shot in the arm or mutilate themselves in the name of art (eg. the Vienna Actionists), what stops them from murdering someone else and call THAT art? I happen to very much like Impressionism by the way, but thanks for the suggestion of looking at From the Corner of his Eye, and once again for taking the time to answer my question. All the best!!

New User
annabella
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Block

your advice for writers and writer's block posts are awsome.

Im so glad that you answered these,especially when you said you had not taken classes.And i laughed at the part about  writing like or the samething as other writers.I always wondered about that because i have that issue at times.lol

Also, now i dont feel crazy for not having an ending or not planning out how my book will be.Just having the basics of what i want and letting it take shape from there.

Not too long ago someone told i was nuts and waisted a little too much time on detail and not getting to the point fast enough,"you need writing classes they said"

well..HAH! lol dont think i didnt e-mail them your posts. 

Pamela Kay
Author
Dean_Koontz

Dog Talk

mom2oscar-dog wrote:

Mr. Koontz,

My dog, Oscar, enjoyed participating in Trixie's writing contest. Although he is still grumbling about not even making runner-up, he is wondering if there will be more contests for him in the future. Also, he'd like to know what his chances are of getting a date with your beautiful daughter, Anna. (He made me ask.)

I have no questions for you myself. I would like to say thank you so much for all the wonderful entertainment you have provided for this anti-television family.

Blessed be.

Robin

New User
UofLNancy
0 Kudos

Re: Dog Talk

That last video response was so funny, I laughed until soda came out of my nose.  It was priceless.  Thanks to Dean and to Oscar!  :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
leighvmewithmyimagination
0 Kudos

I've only read one Dean Koontz book (False Memory), but I loved it!  Loved it so much that I went out and bought a bag full of others.  I love the way he writes and look forward to reading others.  I'm so glad he had a video blog....I never imagined he was so hilarious!!!  I think it's wonderful he took time out to read and answer questions from his fans.

--Dean Koontz, you're amazing!--