Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Re: Dog Talk

UofLNancy wrote:
That last video response was so funny, I laughed until soda came out of my nose.  It was priceless.  Thanks to Dean and to Oscar!  :smileyvery-happy:

You're right, UofLNancy. I laugh out loud every time I watch this.

Hey, fans ... if you like these videos, tell your friends about them. All of these videos are also posted in at B&N Studio (www.bn.com/studio), where we've launched an Ask Dean Koontz channel. All the videos there can be emailed and embedded in blogs or other web pages.

Author
Dean_Koontz
0 Kudos

Character Development

bigdaddyMM wrote:

Mr.Koontz,

I have been reading your books ever since I found them in the early 90's. It seems to me why I like them so very much is your character development. Do you spend an extraordinary amount of time on your characters or does it come easily. Odd Thomas and the world of Pico Mundo are extremely interesting. I usually stay up late on school nites to read them into the wee hours of the morning and I am 43....school for my kids. I mean. I really cannot put them down. I was wondering if you have ever met Stephen King? If so, did you have a lot to talk about ? Or is there a rivalry there? I have read both of your novels and to tell you the truth yours seem to keep me more involved. Thanks Dean...keep on writing.

Learn more about Your Heart Belongs to Me.

Discover all Dean Koontz titles.
New User
AldenNight
0 Kudos

Re: Character Development

Dean Koontz- the Odd Thomas of the Literary World. I was really hoping he would spill on Stephen King- but I guess it goes along with his experience with critiquing other writers work.

Thanks Mr. Koontz for sharing your world with us.

New User
persiphone_hellecat
0 Kudos

Great answer, Dean, but how about a little hint? At least tell us if you and Mr. King know each other. I am sure you do, though. I wouldn't ask for a crit of his work from you, just a personal remark.
Author
Dean_Koontz
0 Kudos

Love Stories

Taylo wrote:

Mr. Koontz,

Do you consider yourself a romantic? 

As odd as it may seem, one of the themes that has attracted me to your books over the years is that there is a bit of a love story lurking behind the horrific events that unfold.  It's in just about every book I can think of that I've read by you, and it's a recurring theme.  I love this aspect to the stories--no matter how scary or crazy life can get, it's a hell of a lot easier to deal with it when you've got someone you love by your side.  Maybe not your intent, per se, but I just wonder if you would describe yourself as a bit of a romantic in that sense. 

New User
annabella
0 Kudos

Re: Love Stories

lol i love that movie,that and city of angels. i dunno why
Pamela Kay
New User
kaijafon
0 Kudos

Re: Dean Koontz answers your questions in his new video blog!

I cannot pick a favorite book of yours since I love them all, but was wondering what was the inspiration behind "The Taking"?

Thank you for female heros and male heros!  And least I forget: DOG heros!!  

do you ever think you will have another female villian?  

thanks!  I appreciate the joy you transfer from yourself through your writings! 

Bliss to you! 

New User
Taylo
0 Kudos

I thought it silly asking this question at first, but am so glad that the recurring theme of love and family in Mr. Koontzs' stories aren't gratuitous or by accident; I think these relationships add so much to the story--and really draw the reader into caring what happens to the characters....Odd Thomas is one of my favorite characters--I can't even think about that book w/o my heart fluttering a bit--I bawled like a baby at the end of it.  I don't think that is the reaction people expect when you read a Dean Koontz book!

Author
Dean_Koontz
0 Kudos

Deadline Pressure

tigercasual wrote:

Dean,

We all know that during the maelstrom that is writing/creating, particularly when there are deadlines involved, the writer/artist looses a great deal of perspective regarding their work. So my question is twofold. One, what is your system of checks and balances; is there anyone (including yourself) pushing to make the story better, rather than beating the deadline? Two, would you ever miss a deadline if you thought the book wasn't ready and you knew that it wouldn't be ready for some time- or does your loyalty to the publisher supersede your loyalty to the story?

Thanks,

Danny

New User
comicbookgal08
0 Kudos

I can completely relate to what Taylo said about bawling like a baby when reading Odd Thomas. I've also been a huge fan of the fantastic Mr Koontz's since the early 90's....and I've loved all his books, but Odd also really touched a special place in my heart. My husband thought I was insane, because I was loving the book so much, but when I got to the last few chapters I had to put it down. When he asked me why I wasn't finishing it, I told him I had a feeling I knew what was coming and couldn't bring myself to read it....he told me I was being silly (but then gave me a huge cuddle when I read it and also bawled my eyes out!)

As a librarian, I get great pleasure in sharing Dean's books with lots of readers looking for a great read....they sell themselves so easily...only takes one and they are HOOKED! keep up the fantastic job Dean...you are such a star :smileyhappy:

Kelly

Author
Dean_Koontz
0 Kudos

Odd Thomas & Chris Snow?

jbennett wrote:

Hi Dean,

Odd Thomas / Chris Snow connection?

I just finished listening to "Odd Hours", great job I loved it!

The real shocker was when I heard mention of the sweatshirt that had the name "Mystery Train" on it. I instantly stopped my iPod and played "Fear Nothing" through the first few minutes where upon I heard what I was looking for, the hat Chris Snow wore also had the name "Mystery Train" on it. Chris found that hat on the military base, Fort Wyvern, 3 stories underground. Plus Odd encounters wolves are and are not wolves like the cats, dog and the rhesus monkeys Chris encounters are and are not.

That is too much of a coincidence.

Is there a new book in the works that connects Odd and Chris? Or was that your way of telling your readers you have not forgotten about Chris Snow, XP man?

Thanks,

Jason 

Message Edited by jbennett on 10-09-2008 07:13 PM

carter24 wrote:

Dear Mr. Koontz

I have read the Christopher Snow novels and the Odd Thomas novels and after reading the latest Odd adveture, I noticed a slight cross over of the two character's worlds.  The most obvious clue was the shirt that read "Mystery Train".  The other being the wolves.  My question is, are you going to combined the two characters and their friends and through this means finish the Snow trilogy and maybe the Odd Thomas series as well in one awesome finale?  Either way, thanks for numerous days and nights of fantastic reading.

mrksgrl wrote:

Mr. Koontz,

I've been an avid reader and fan since first curling up with Watchers one icy winter night when I was about 14 years old. Even then, I was struck by the care and personal attention that you devoted to forming your characters. I even wept for the Outsider! (Though just a little bit.)

In any case, my question is regarding the possiblity of a crossover between two of your books. Do you anticipate that any of your characters will ever meet? I mean, I could definitely see Odd Thomas and Chris Snow becoming fast friends and allies...but maybe that's just me...

Regards,

Nichole

Contributor
reinbeauchaser
0 Kudos

Re: Odd Thomas & Chris Snow?

For about two years, now, I have become an enthusiastic reader of your books.  I used to do more writing than reading, but have decided that if I am ever to take writing seriously, I then need to take reading seriously.  Where I am also trying to develop my own style, it pretty much requires that I read a lot of styles.   However, your books never cease to entertain me and I am always caught up in your engaging storytelling, so I am, for now, hooked on just your titles alone, even though I've purchased several books by other authors.  I just can't seem to switch over.  :0)  That's a good thing, too, since  I’ve learned so much from reading your novels. 

Anyway, with that said, watching your video blog and listening to your comments to questions posted by your admirers has been quite educational!  Seriously, I've learned so much knowing the steps towards how you write your books to how characters pretty much tell the story (I've so been there with mine).  From finding creativity at its best the more hours you put into writing, to this most recent account - adding snippets of facts from other stories. 

Yet, the common thread is that you let the story write itself, not knowing its outcome.  I find the best stories are those that have a life of their own and with an outcome that surprises even the author!  It's just amazing that one can write this way and still have the kind of success you have enjoyed over the years.  It is definitely a gift and I am so thankful that you care enough for your fan base to share such insights!  Thank you, Mr. Koontz and Happy Thanksgiving!  :0)

Author
Dean_Koontz
0 Kudos

What's Next?

[ Edited ]

stevemc wrote:
I, as many of you other readers, loved the way the character of Einstein was written in Watchers. Have you considered writing another book with a similar character?

missEinstein wrote:

I see I am not the first to ask you this question, my sister and I were wondering when Chris Snow was going to have another new adventure?

tlay2 wrote:

Hi Dean,

I have read almost everybook that you have written.  My question is:  Are you going to write a third book to finish off the Frankenstine series?

Thanks,

Theresa

Message Edited by Dean_Koontz on 11-26-2008 10:02 AM

New User
dmallory5
0 Kudos

When is the 3rd FRANKENSTEIN book coming out been waiting for a while now?
New User
UofLNancy
0 Kudos

Re: What's Next?

D.K., please come back.  We miss you!  What will I do during work now???  :smileywink:

Nancy (An avid reader and faithful DK video watcher)

New User
FANofDISNEY
0 Kudos

Hi Mr. Koontz,

I wanted to let you know that I love your work!  About a month ago I read my first "Dean Koontz" book; it was "The Mask".  I loved this book very much and as soon as I was done with it, I went back to the section in the library that your books were in and pick out another.  I then read your book entitled "Hideaway".  I also loved this book, I couldn't put it down!  I recently just started reading the book "Whispers", and I'm already hooked.  My question for you would be out of all the books that you have written, what was your favorite to write?  Also, my favorite type of books are mystery/horror/supernatural, what books would you suggest I read next?

Thanks and HAPPY HOLIDAYS,

Sarah K.

New User
JimDunn
0 Kudos

Dean,

I've been reading your stuff since a little before the 90s. So for a number of years, I've been wondering about one of your books. Hanging On. Remember it? Were you really a teacher and a forest ranger?? But really, the question is, did the movie and series MASH steal their idea from you? As best as I can tell, this book predates the MASH movie. BTW, that's some shirt and mustache you have there :-).

A constant reader

JimDunn

New User
blcaligraphy
0 Kudos

Hello Mr. Koontz,

First off I'm very excited to be writting on the B&N blog of one of my favorite authors. 

But anyways, having read more than half of your books and owning all of them, a question still plagues me:

What makes some of your books darker and for lack of a better term, violent than others?

For example, both The Taking and The Face had a fairly sinister plot, and Shaddowfires I think is probably your most violent (and my most favorite), yet Darkest Evening of the Year and Life Expectancy both had a lighter tone. 

Why is this? Are your books a direct mirror of your mood at the time of writting them?

Thanks

New User
JimDunn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

After having posted the message about Hanging On, I discovered my error. I originally read this book before the invent of the internet, and did not have good information on the date of the original MASH movie. Apparently, the movie preceeded Hanging On. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this book. It was so very different than many of your other books. Indeed, as a later reference about Hanging On stated, it is sort of a cross between MASH and Catch 22.

I am a huge fan, and I really have no requests. Just keep doing what you've been doing so well for these many years, and I will keep buying every book with my usual great expectations.

Message Edited by JimDunn on 12-03-2008 09:41 PM
New User
Rowdyridleybear
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"Hello. I'm Odd Thomas and I lead a very unusual life." The creativity of great writers is truly amazing and the fact that you have created one of your most fascinating and well loved characters from that little off-the-wall sentence is extraordinary. It reminds me of a little story I read about J.R.R. Tolkien that is so very similar. One day professor Tolkien was grading essays, or some other such assignment and came upon a blank page in a student's papers. On a whim he wrote on the page "There was a Hobbitt who lived in a hole." And from that little sentence was born one of the world's most beloved children's stories, which eventually evolved into what is most certainly the greatest piece of fantasy literature ever written, next to The Iliad and The Odyssey, The Lord of the Rings.  

I was wondering, Dean, if it is common for you to create stories from such seemingly insignificant fragments of ideas? A "throwaway" sentence, perhaps, or a similar tidbit of information from a fictional character's life? 

Message Edited by Rowdyridleybear on 12-04-2008 03:53 PM