Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
joysmom
0 Kudos

Re: Character Development

mr. koontz-

i read all the replies and i was glad i did. but if everyone here wants a chris snow/odd thomas pairing, didnt you come out with another series through the chris snow books, the avaian kids ones? i would though, like to ask if the happy monster in "odd hours" is odd's lost aunt(cymyrn?)  that his mom insists is real and his dad does not believe is real? also, sorry to hear about your loss of trixie, i lost my joy when she was 8 mths and its still hard. :womansad: but at least i have her sister noelle to get me through the rough patches. also, i dont know if you already answered this one, but are you going to do a movie or two with odd? and if so, who are you considering the lead role as odd? i thought that toby maguire would be a good choice, but the guy you have on the webisodes seems like a good choice as well. i know that jonathan kellerman did one movie with ted danson(i own it) and i was wondering if you were going to do the same or no? (obviously not with ted lol)

New User
EmSaid
0 Kudos

Re: Dean Koontz answers your questions in his new video blog!

Mr. Koontz-  When you write your books, do you plan it out beforehand or do you just let it flow? If you just let it flow, where does it hit you most? I mean when does it come to you? I know, that's more than one question. You inspire me. You are my idol! I love the fact you incorperate dogs in your books.

Thanks, Em

New User
WendyJane
0 Kudos

I'm a tad confused as to why people continue to post questions for Dean in this thread. I can understand people posting comments regarding his answers but isn't the deadline now past for posting questions?

Mr. Koontz.......any chance of a movie based on Lightening?

Contributor
reinbeauchaser
0 Kudos

Um...yeah, about posting questions.  Wasn't that last statement - a question, Wendy Jane?  LOL  Very funny!  I was going to post a similar comment (minus the question), but forgot to.  Glad someone pointed out that this isn't a forum for queries, although I'm certain Mr. Koontz is enjoying them.  Then, again, I'm sure he's far too busy with his next project to have the time to even venture our way.    And, let's face it, if he answered even one question (aside from those he quoted in his video log), he would end up opening that proverbial Pandora's Box; every Tom, Dick, and Sherry would then be posting questions!     Anyway, I've put My Heart Belongs to Me on my Christmas list!  :0)  I may add the first Odd Thomas book, too, since I have installment number 3 (I thought at the time I bought it that it was the first book).  I may just read it, though.  The first couple pages I skimmed through looked mighty intriguing!  :0)     Then again, everything DK writes is intriguing!  Oh...yes! 
New User
Rowdyridleybear
0 Kudos

Aha! I had read all of the questions and written responses and watched Dean's videos, but didn't look further before I posted a question. I believed that this was an ongoing concern. I searched around a bit, though, after reading the last two responses and found that there was a deadline for questions in late October. Too bad, I was a month or so too late. C'est la vie...   
New User
WendyJane
0 Kudos

Has anyone seen the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly? Mr. Stephen King lists his choice for the ten best books of 2008 - Dean is number ten for The Good Guy!
Reader 2
dogloverTN
0 Kudos

I still would like to know when the last of the Frankenstein books will come out.  I have been hearing this spring for 2 years now, and still nothing.
New User
Meekans
0 Kudos

Twilight Eyes

Mr. Koontz,

I can't help but to notice a striking similarity between Odd Thomas and Slim MacKenzie from Twilight Eyes. There are only two real differences I notice between the two: While Odd and Slim are both brave kids, Slim seems to have nerves of steel and Odd seems to go about his bravery while being a nervous wreck--the steady-handed sort of bravery, compared to the guy who's hands are shaking, yet he's accomplishing the task at hand anyway. The other difference I notice is that Odd is a tad more wise, and that he's always trying to teach the reader a life lesson.

I have a three questions:

1.) Did you take pieces of Slim's Character and tack them onto Odd Thomas, or am I just imagining things?

2.)Why wasn't there a sequal to Twilight Eyes? I personally thought you left a wide-open opportunity for a sequal, and thought Slim was equally as captivating as Odd.

3.) Will there ever be a sequal to Twilight Eyes?(I hope there will be!)

Thanks for your time

New User
maira56
0 Kudos

When will Book Three of the Frankenstein Triolgy come out??????????

Were all left out here wondering what happened???????????????????

maira56 

New User
cgoodlett
0 Kudos

Re: A Third Frankenstein?

i have all of your books and really need to finish the frankenstein series. it's like a part of me is not complete not knowing how the series ends. please release it soon. i love your work!!
Contributor
reinbeauchaser
0 Kudos

YAHOO!  Christmas gifted me with both Your Heart Belongs to Me AND Odd Thomas

Now, if only my hubby, son, and daughter would find something to do OUTSIDE of the house for a few hours, I could start reading. 

Actually, I would much prefer if they would go back to work, as that would then give me a good 8 hours!  I could quite realistically finish both books in that amount of time.  Yes, I read like a starving person; ravishingly.  Either starving or drop-dead gorgeous *looks in mirror*.  Nope, guess it's starving.   LOL

Anyway, I have one more Odd Thomas book to buy and read before devouring Brother Odd.  I do like keeping things in order, if not my house most certainly my choice of reading material. 

As an aside, I know this is not a Q&A site for Dean, but for those here who DO write or maybe they teach creative writing, how can someone effectively change the style with how they write?  I've been writing fanfiction since 2003 (don't laugh, okay?  It's been fun and my writing skills HAVE improved - at least with my emails!), and though I'm lightyears away from where I began (as far as what and how I write), I'm still finding myself in kind of a rut.  I tend to use 'junk' words (Nevertheless, However, Although, Anyway, Moreover, and others) to change a line of thought or the direction of a scene.  I used to stay away from long, run-on sentences, too, but I am amused to find that some of the more profitable and popular authors (DK among them) use them quite a bit, as well as using Passives and Fragmented sentences. 

Moreover (junk word #2), using the word 'But' or 'And" to start a sentence had always been discouraged, yet I am finding that they're now acceptable.  What gives?  Has writing become that 'laid back', that 'casual'?  Not that I'm complaining, of course; it only gives me a new way to 'change the topic'.  LOL

Incidentally, I have found that using run-ons during the story helps the reader understand and experience a more energetic 'feel' of a particular 'scene', so I have been incorporating it (in small doses) with my own musings.  It's been fun, actually.  Of course, it does require a lot of re-reading and proofing, to make sure that the line flows and energizes as intended.

Anyway (there's another junkie), what kind of exercises would be good to stretch one's writing style? 

Again, this question is for readers of this site and NOT for Dean Koontz, as he has fulfilled his obligation to B&N with his videoblog answers. 

Have a happy holiday and a very SAFE New Years.  Oh, and remember that here in California as of January 1st, it will be illegal to text message while driving.  Why they even had to make a law for that is beyond me, but - I guess some people feel it's the 'loop hole' within the 'no using cellphones while driving' law, so now we have a law for a law.  I guess it's true, somethings do take a rocket scientist!  LOL 

Rene'

New User
Gondin1NR
0 Kudos

Dean,

I just wanted to ask you a question that you are most likely asked frequently. What first inspired to get up and start writing? Just curious.

Thanks,

Nathaniel R.

New User
dreamer76
0 Kudos

Re: Advice for Writers

I have to say that you are my favorite author as well.  I  am 33 and have been reading your books since I was a teenager. One Door Away From Heaven is my particular favorite one (always thought that one should have been made into a movie) and I like the fact that you took time out to anwser questions..always looking forward to your books.
New User
love_remembers
0 Kudos

Re: Sequels

The thought of seven Odd Thomas books thrills me! I know it would be impossible for you to fall on your face. Thomas is a part of you now. His journey is part of you and the words will always come!
New User
45koontz
0 Kudos

As usual, you crack me up.. I love that sarcastic humour you have.

I've long wanted to thank you (if you should ever read this) for that way you write the characters with special needs. I have 3 siblings with special needs, and, your characters never fail to make me cry (in the best sense). I can't fully explain what I want to say. It's just that you seem to know how they can/do feel and think. I find that too many people see special needs people as a sort of lower life form, while you show them as a blessing in disguise that they can be in the lives of those of us that live with the good and the bad on a daily basis. Talk about a run-on sentence!:smileyhappy:

New User
BrooklynArt
0 Kudos

Hi Mr. Koontz,

I read your book Watchers for Reading Olympics, and it was an exceptional book to read. It was the most page-turner suspense book I have read thus far. After Reading Olympics is over, I very much look forward to your other books.

Good Day,

BrooklynArt

New User
cmmerritt
0 Kudos

Okay, in Nov. 2008 you stated the third book was almost finished, yet you continue to produce other books and have not updated fans on when to expect the third in the series of Frankenstein books.  I have read the other two three times now in order to keep myself ready for the third book.  I am sorely disappointed that you have not lived up to your "promise" (on the video blog) to give us the third book.  Dare I ask you when?  Will you fulfill this promise if I do?  I dont want comic books, I want your promised novel.  Since you managed to finish the other two without collaborators, why are you not finishing up the third novel and instead are churning out other books?  Please restore my faith in you by living up to your promise to your fans.

cmmerritt

Contributor
reinbeauchaser
0 Kudos

Concerning cmmerritt comment - In defense of Mr. Koontz (and I am sure he will feel he needs no defense, as he has earned the right to 'write' what and when he wants), I have to say that writing novels is not the same as creating software or mass-producing manufactured products - whether inorganic or organic - since neither of these are an 'inspired' based commodity (outside of the original design).  Writing novels requires daily inspiration, first, and if it's just not 'there', it's not going to happen, regardless of an on-going story or how many promises the author has made.  Sometimes the Muses aren't as dedicated to a project as the writer would like, thereby leading him or her in another area altogether.  I know, because I'm a writer and I have several on-going stories right now that beg completion.  Unfortunately, I've lost that spark of inspiration and I refuse to write for the sake of writing.  Quality first, no matter what!

Besides, so long as Dean Koontz is still alive and writing, his 'backburner' projects will eventually get done.  Moreover, life has a rude way of interrupting the flow of a writer's creativity, so who are we to question when he gets anything done?  Good to know, I guess, that his Frankenstein series has such a loyal following, though.  I haven't read it, yet, but given how popular it seems to be, I just may go out and buy the first book, just to see what's with all the excitement. 

So, on to my 'books to buy' list it goes!  :0) 

New User
DKoontzfan317
0 Kudos

Re: Odd Thomas & Chris Snow?

I know this has been up for a while, but I can't help mentionning more similarities that I've noticed. In Fear Nothing, there is a particular paragraph where he mentions fry cooks in an inquisitive way. Was this a note made referencing Odd Thomas?

In Seize the Night, there is also a few mentions of real psychics being able to see the creatures from the "sideways" world. Was this what grabbed the guy from the mirror in front of Odd?

I would love to have the characters meet. I'm pro-Chris+Odd team!

New User
cmmerritt
0 Kudos

To reinbeauchaser:

I agree that it takes inspiration and no amount of promises can bring inspiration.  Why then are excuses given that have nothing to do with lack of inspiration?  Instead we get excuses of lack of being able to collaborate or Hurricane Katrina etc.  Then promises of the book will be out within a few months.  Mr. Koontz is an established writer who knows no doubt when he is inspired or not.  He never claimed lack of inspiration but rather said his inspiration headed into a different direction than that of his collaborators.  I am sure other fans must feel as I do that we would rather have the truth than breaking of promises.  If Mr. Koontz does not want to reveal the truth then he should not make promises he breaks but rather state he doesnt know when he can complete the book.  I am also a writer and while I value committment, above all I value honesty and that is where I have the problem with Mr. Koontz.