Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt

Deb's Coffee Klatch-Off Topic Chat

[ Edited ]

It was suggested that I start an off topic thread where we can get together and chat about whatever's on our mind so please help me by coming to the

Grand Opening

Of the

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Deb's Coffee Klatch

Ah the smell of coffee and fresh baked goods permeates the air, come on in find a favorite table and set a spell

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Here's today's Thought for the Day

“You can discover more about a person
in an hour of play
than in a year of conversation.”

Plato
(428 bc – 347 bc)

Wordsmith
elaine_hf

If you could just put one of those croissants in my inbox.....   :smileyhappy:

I'd love to chat! And I agree with Plato - when you play, you have a chance to see inner person coming out. In conversation, it's easy to hide yourself behind words.

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
Scribe
Mountain_Muse

[ Edited ]

Ah Debbie!!  I love coffee klatches.  They are wonderful for visiting and sharing with friends.  

I came across a three line poem I wrote in high school for a senior project.  We had to write a poem and then present it verbally, visually, and "discuss" it in a short paper.... It fits the season, and is still one for discussion.

For you who go,

For I, who must stay behind --

Two autumns

--- KL

autumn

Mtn Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Take Time to Play

[ Edited ]

dhaupt wrote:

in an hour of play

Plato
(428 bc – 347 bc)

Mud

Taking Time to Play

Having come to the end of my day

I realized I did not take time to play.

I did not take time to splash in the rain.

to play in the yard or ride my bike in the lane.

What did I miss, you might say

What does one miss by not taking time to play?

Oh. just a little laughter and mirth for a start,

Gurgling giggles that bubble up from the heart.

The feel of mud between the toes

The pleasure of playing "dress up clothes".

How about jumping up and down on a bed

Or blowing bubbles through the nose in your head.

How sad that I did not take time today

To go outside and take time to play.

---- KL

Thank you Deb for giving us some place to come play and visit.  Hugs

Mtn Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Take Time to Play

Mountain_Muse wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

in an hour of play

Plato
(428 bc – 347 bc)

Mud

Taking Time to Play

Having come to the end of my day

I realized I did not take time to play.

I did not take time to splash in the rain.

to play in the yard or ride my bike in the lane.

What did I miss, you might say

What does one miss by not taking time to play?

Oh. just a little laughter and mirth for a start,

Gurgling giggles that bubble up from the heart.

The feel of mud between the toes

The pleasure of playing "dress up clothes".

How about jumping up and down on a bed

Or blowing bubbles through the nose in your head.

How sad that I did not take time today

To go outside and take time to play.

---- KL

Thank you Deb for giving us some place to come play and visit.  Hugs

Mtn Muse

Thanks MM I love it

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

Glad to be here.:smileyvery-happy: Congrats on the new digs.

I love a good cup of joe, a good book and  the company of friends. I am enjoying the beautiful fall weather.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

kimba88 wrote:

Glad to be here.:smileyvery-happy: Congrats on the new digs.

I love a good cup of joe, a good book and  the company of friends. I am enjoying the beautiful fall weather.

Hi Kimba, welcome I hope to see you often

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Technical question.

How do I add the fiction general discussion book club to MY B&N page, so I can get to it with one click. When I first signed up I added several genres..but the option to add more appears to be gone. Am I missing something?

Right now, I click on P&UF club then go to browse book clubs at the top of page.

ps. dhaupt.I added a quick link from, my facebook blog to yours :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

kimba88 wrote:

Technical question.

How do I add the fiction general discussion book club to MY B&N page, so I can get to it with one click. When I first signed up I added several genres..but the option to add more appears to be gone. Am I missing something?

Right now, I click on P&UF club then go to browse book clubs at the top of page.

ps. dhaupt.I added a quick link from, my facebook blog to yours :smileyhappy:

I saw the FB link thank you kimba, as far as the adding it to your B&N page if it doesn't show up today wait until tomorrow because there are some gremlins here today and it may not be working because of that, if it still doesnt' work tomorrow I'll look into it.

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Debbie - Keep the coffee on for me - I do love the look of those croissants !!

Anne

dhaupt
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

Hi Debbie - Keep the coffee on for me - I do love the look of those croissants !!

Anne

Thanks for stopping by the Grand Opening Anne, Welcome, the coffee's always hot and the pastries always sweet, oh and calorie free :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

congratulations  Congratulations on the opening of your new Coffee Klatch, Debbie.  I suspect it will become a neighborhood favorite!

Karen -- I like your poem on "Time to Play."

Is the source of the Plato quotation known?  (I have been discussing The Republic elsewhere.)

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

congratulations  Congratulations on the opening of your new Coffee Klatch, Debbie.  I suspect it will become a neighborhood favorite!

Is the source of the Plato quotation known?  (I have been discussing The Republic elsewhere.)

Pepper

Love the flowers, Pepper.  Thanks on the poem...sitting down with friends to a good cuppa and croissants always leaves me waxing poetic.  oh, well.  Besides, with all the rain we have been having, I have sooooo wanted to go outside and jump in puddles and squish mud between my toes.  But alas all my GB's live to far, so have no one to go play with.  But, I can dream and giggle about the idea of someone my age out there playing in mud puddles and dancing in the rain.

I agree with you, Debbie's shop needs flowers and maybe a little artwork to grace the walls.

coffee art

What better company.... I've always wanted to know what her big secret was.  lol

MM

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Had no Idea You Moved!!! Great Place to Chat..;;;;;Congrats Deb... Coffee..Croissants.....Marble Pound Cake "Sweet Group"....

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Pepper

Thanks Pepper,

here's what Wiki says about the quote, it's toward the bottom of the page and it looks like it was misattributed to him.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Thank all of you for the very warm welcome on the opening of my little cafe and coversation spot. I hope you'll all stop in regularly for coffee and chat.

Here's Friday's Thought, I hope they got the author right this time. :smileyhappy:

“Beware of little expenses.
A small leak will sink a great ship.”

Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)

And finally

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Thank all of you for the very warm welcome on the opening of my little cafe and coversation spot. I hope you'll all stop in regularly for coffee and chat.

Here's Friday's Thought, I hope they got the author right this time. :smileyhappy:

Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)

And finally

dhaupt
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)

And finally

You're so purty when you smile Kathy :smileyhappy: