Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt

Re: Sunday Morning Coffee

Here's my thought for the day

Now here's your thought for the day

“If you have the courage to begin,
you have the courage to succeed.”

David Viscott
(1938-1996)

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Went to the beach!

Mountain_Muse wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Yesterday, my friend Susie and I went to the beach.  I persuaded her to go...she was having a tough week. 

As soon as we got close to the coast/ocean, we rolled down the windows of my car.. a fresh, cool breeze hit us like a breath from heaven!  No more air-conditioning!

As we were driving, she'd ask me if I knew where I was going, and what the plan was.  I've been to Oceanside a million times and knew exactly what we were going to do.  I told her the same, and gave her the plan.   My car knew the way, and I did minimal thinking, myself.  I believe it took a lot off of her mind, that it wasn't up to her to have to make a decision, at least for one day.

I knew where to park the car, and where to take our chairs and set up on the beach, and I knew where I was going to take her for lunch.  It was noon when we got there.

At the harbor's marina, there's some neat shops, and eating places.  I took her to the fish place that has really good food.  We both ordered the Friday special of the day...one piece of batter fried fish, one shimp, fries...with coleslaw and clam chowder on the side. 

As we were sitting on the beach, watching the waves and people, she commented that she had had fish and chips on her mind that whole week!  (She didn't know  that that was where we were to find lunch).  She also commented that she was having the best time, enjoying herself emmensly, just sitting, eating a delicisous lunch that she'd hungered for!  I kept taking deep breaths, smelling the coolness of the salt air, as the floggy clouds came in.  Susie isn't supposed to be in direct sun light, so I did come prepared with umbrellas, too.   

We ate until we stuffed ourselves, and fed the rest of our fries to the waiting, and watching, seagulls....  we then both went back to the marina, I had to move the car...2 hr parking only...and we walked over to my favorite gift shop.  I bought a necklace...a lighthouse. 

By then, we both thought it time to pack up and head home.  Friday afternoon traffic can be a nightmare! 

We had something to deal with when we got back to town, which was giving Susie butterflies in the pit of her stomach...not good ones.  It was to look through a house that she would soon, if she chose, to move into this week.  She didn't know what to expect....a mess, or not.... I won't go into all the details, but we ended up seeing the woman who was moving out of it.  Just the night before, Susie had a screaming match on the phone with her.  I knew this woman. 

As we were driving away from the house, this woman's car was blocking the driveway....She moved it when she saw us, and I got out of my car and told Susie I needed to talk to this woman....the woman came over to me, and I asked if I could give her a hug.  I felt the need for myself, and for this woman, to make a good, last, connection, then and there.

I talked to her for a few minutes, and then Susie got out of my car....Susie wanted to appologize to her, she felt so bad for the way the phone conversation ended the night before.  We stood and talked for some time, and we wished this woman well, and she wished Susie well in the house. We then drove away.

Susie was near tears, as she told me how happy she was that we went to the beach, and then to have a positive outcome with this woman....I told her this is how I wanted this day to end, and couldn't have asked for more.  I wanted a resolution to this weeks turmoil that she'd experienced.  I'm so happy that this day ended on a positive note, for her, and for myself, and for this other woman.  Susie echoed these thoughts.

And that was my day, yesterday.  I slept like the dead last night, with a happy heart, and didn't get up until 9 this morning to the sound of thunder in the distance...no rain, just a cooler, sunny day today...so far!  :smileyhappy: 

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and sunny days, or whatever days that bring a ray of happiness into your lives!

Kathy

Kathy, I hope you can feel this hug from Missouri to CA from me to you, what a great friend to know when just to "be" with someone who needs something even she doesn't know what it is.

I hope the situation w/your friend Susie is resolved favorably and maybe some bad Kharma removal in the house is in order, or maybe just a friendly visit from you.

What a great day you had.

this was my day on Saturday, just did my domestic goddess chores, my mom is with us for the month and enjoyed her company. Grilled burgers last night and when hubby came inside when they were done, he brought in his beer glass that he left on the patio table while he grilled, he was about to put it in the sink when out jumped a tiny little tree frog, what a laugh we all had while trying to do our version of catch and release.

Enjoy your Sunday :smileyhappy:

My question was:  How enebriated was that poor frog?  Lol  Could he hop a straight line? rof

muse

Glad to have made your day Muse, let's put it this way after the release my hands were very wet and I don't think just from the beer :smileyhappy:

dhaupt

Re: Monday Morning Delights

[ Edited ]

I love Diana Krall too

here are the chocolate chip pumkin muffins

plus a few more delights for the tables today, w/cream cheese for Muse and oh Ryan I hope you like Green Tea, here's to your health

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Monday Morning Coffee

[ Edited ]

dhaupt wrote:

Here's my thought for the day

Now here's your thought for the day

“If you have the courage to begin,
you have the courage to succeed.”

David Viscott
(1938-1996)

Ugh...I feel like that kitty. 

I was sound asleep...the phone rings and wakes me up.  It was Susie, all excited about today!  We went fridge shopping yesterday, and it's being delivered to her new abode today.  We knew this yesterday...but I guess it just sunk in this morning.  Now I'm wide awake...ugh.

I said, you just woke me up to tell me that?!!!!  She apologized and told me to go back to sleep. No chance of that happening!  I ate a bowl of cereal, but my brain feels like mush...... I need coffee!!!!!!!!!!!

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Re: Monday Morning Coffee

I stopped in for coffee and some of that cheesecake. I had a few shots over at Guilty Pleasure Pub in memory of Andy Whitfield. It was sad. 

Scribe
Mountain_Muse

Ah, 

We didn't make it by the Coffee shoppe for Breakfast.  But droppe by for lunch.  

I had a Medetteranian Cheese Platter with Prossutto, Olives, Sun-dried Tomatoes, thinnly sliced parmeasan cheese, and several types of peasant bread and tappenade, and melons.  

My daughter, who was with me had 

An openned faced grilled beef sandwich with pesto, cheese, and greens.  There were also tomatoes and olives on the side.

For dessert we had duo-chocolate mousse tarts.

These were all served with Sparkling Hibiscus tea w/ mint.

Yumm.....menu compliments of the neatest french sandwich shop ever in old downtown Pasadena.

Sorry no pics (again :-( )  camera in car..... I need to start carrying my small one.

Here is a platter very much like what we had

cheese

Not what I ordered, but almost did....it was on the menu....looked yummy

avacado sandwich

Tomorrow is Italian Day

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Ah, 

We didn't make it by the Coffee shoppe for Breakfast.  But droppe by for lunch.  

I had a Medetteranian Cheese Platter with Prossutto, Olives, Sun-dried Tomatoes, thinnly sliced parmeasan cheese, and several types of peasant bread and tappenade, and melons.  

My daughter, who was with me had 

An openned faced grilled beef sandwich with pesto, cheese, and greens.  There were also tomatoes and olives on the side.

For dessert we had duo-chocolate mousse tarts.

These were all served with Sparkling Hibiscus tea w/ mint.

Yumm.....menu compliments of the neatest french sandwich shop ever in old downtown Pasadena.

Sorry no pics (again :-( )  camera in car..... I need to start carrying my small one.

Here is a platter very much like what we had

cheese

Not what I ordered, but almost did....it was on the menu....looked yummy

avacado sandwich

Tomorrow is Italian Day

Muse

Boy, do you know how to make a girl hungry!  I'm starved! 

Speaking of Italian....My friend and I ate at a place yesterday called, NY Upper Crust Pizza.   I think we both had NY on our minds, and that's what lead us to a place we'd never heard of, let alone tried.  They had, and I'm not exaggerating, the best meatball, and the best sausage, sandwiches....Blue Moon on tap, with a slice of orange.  Wonderfully friendly people, too.  They have an extensive menu.  We are certainly going back!

http://nysuppercrustpizza.com/

Enjoy your day, Muse :-)

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I love it actually!  For tonight I'm going for either lemon or blueberry tea.  Maybe one of the rice krispie treats to go along with it.

dhaupt wrote:

I love Diana Krall too

here are the chocolate chip pumkin muffins

plus a few more delights for the tables today, w/cream cheese for Muse and oh Ryan I hope you like Green Tea, here's to your health

• 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
dhaupt

Just stocked your blueberry Tea Ryan, enjoy it with the Rice Crispie Treats

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Thought for the Day

“The more you recognize and express gratitude
for the things you have,
the more things you will have
to express gratitude for.”

Zig Ziglar
(1926-)

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dhaupt wrote:

for the things you have,

Zig Ziglar
(1926-)

Share something small today.  Smile.

MM

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

for the things you have,

Zig Ziglar
(1926-)

Share something small today.  Smile.

MM

dhaupt
0 Kudos

This is what this morning finally feels like

Scarecrow Fall Glitter comment 

And here's the thought for the Day

“An ounce of practice
is worth more than tons of preaching.”

Mahatma Gandhi
(1869-1948)

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Our thought for the day is brought to us by our friend vermontcozy

“The thing that’s important to know is that you never know. You’re always sort of feeling your way.”
― Diane Arbus

Thanks Susan  :smileyhappy:

0402-marriage-portrait_300.jpg
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Interesting to see a quotation by Diane Arbus.  I have been referring to her photography a lot recently to discuss questions about the extent to which beauty and truth are the same or different -- and what is the impact of our perceptions of "beauty" on justice (especially on tolerance).

I started to put up a link to some of her penetrating, albeit sometimes troubling, work, but on second thought, I'll just suggest that anyone interested search for themselves.  The portfolio I considered included some photos that some may prefer to avoid.  Sometimes it becomes even painful to look closely at certain human conditions -- even when the process could bring us to empathy rather than scorn.

“The thing that’s important to know is that you never know. You’re always sort of feeling your way.”
― Diane Arbus

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt
0 Kudos

“Let us be grateful
to people who make us happy;
they are the charming gardeners
who make our souls blossom.”

Marcel Proust - French Novelist, and referred to as the greatest of the French Prose writers
(1871-1922)

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

“Let us be grateful

Marcel Proust - French Novelist, and referred to as the greatest of the French Prose writers
(1871-1922)

OOHH ! Good one Debbie - I have a document on my computer where I keep quotes that I like - this one is going there. Have a great weekend all...

Anne

dhaupt
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

“Let us be grateful

(1871-1922)

OOHH ! Good one Debbie - I have a document on my computer where I keep quotes that I like - this one is going there. Have a great weekend all...

Anne

Glad you like it Anne, you have a great vacation!!! I can't wait to read Outlaw with you and the rest of the members

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

“Let us be grateful

(1871-1922)

Anne

I love Pooh.  He says.  "It's Friday. I LOVVve Fridays...Anyone have any honey?"  Yummmm

Muse

KathyS
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

1AnneB wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

“Let us be grateful

(1871-1922)

Anne

I love Pooh.  He says.  "It's Friday. I LOVVve Fridays...Anyone have any honey?"  Yummmm

Muse