Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Since we're talking Outlaw....this just came in an email from Jack - Enjoy!

$1 Off Outlaw Burger or Spicy Chicken Sandwich.
Expires 12/25/11. Coupon not valid in Austin, Kansas City, San Diego, Santa Barbara and Yakima.

Click here to sign up for Jack's Secret Society of Cool People to get inside information and special offers.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Since we're talking Outlaw....this just came in an email from Jack - Enjoy!

KathyS wrote:

Expires 12/25/11. Coupon not valid in Austin, Kansas City, San Diego, Santa Barbara and Yakima.

Click here to sign up for Jack's Secret Society of Cool People to get inside information and special offers.

Love the coupon Kathy, Thanks!!!

dhaupt

Re: Thursday Thought

[ Edited ]

Here's today's thought

“We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ouselves.”

Lynn Hall

Thursday Post Card picture

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Here's today's thought

Lynn Hall

Thanks Debbie - Back-atcha !

Anne

KathyS
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Here's today's thought

Lynn Hall

Love the quote!  Happy Thursday to everyone!  I'm picking up my grandkids from school this afternoon....yippee....I get to help with homework! LOL....

It's 54 degrees.  I never thought I'd be thinking about turning on my heat this morning!

KathyS

dhaupt
0 Kudos

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: First Lookers

for all you old First Lookers, Colson Whitehead will be doing a live video chat on October 13th

here's the link if you're interested

http://www.goodreads.com/event/show/145713-live-video-chat-with-colson-whitehead?utm_medium=email&ut...

Remember his book was

Sag Harbor  

Scribe
Mountain_Muse

Thursdays

lucy

Just had to say Hi.

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Thursdays

Mountain_Muse wrote:

lucy

Just had to say Hi.

Muse

Thanks Muse, I love Lucy :smileyhappy:

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Thursdays

Mountain_Muse wrote:

lucy

Just had to say Hi.

Muse

Hi, back...I love Lucy!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Deb's Coffee Klatch-Off Topic Chat

Have Good evening, or a good night, everyone....

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Happy Thursday! Is anyone having trouble getting signed in?  I can't get my nook logged on after the last system update.

Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
dhaupt
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:

Happy Thursday! Is anyone having trouble getting signed in?  I can't get my nook logged on after the last system update.

I didn't sign in after 5 central last evening and today everything seems fine. Is it for you too, let me know

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Deb's Coffee Klatch-Off Topic Chat-Friday's Thought

[ Edited ]

This thought is brought to us by our friend VTcozy, who said it was 34 degrees this am, brrrrr.

“Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple.”
Steve Jobs

Oh an It's FRIDAY :smileyhappy:

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Thanks for the Steve Jobs quotation today!  How sad to lose him, when so many today get to reach much older ages and still be contributing.

Did you all catch this from Donald Angus's site (it's not quite today's news -- I first saw it a day or two ago): 

"Wow! Stunning news today. I’m going to be having a son in February. I knew, obviously, that I was going to have a something in the new year – but I found out at the scan today that it’s a boy. Excellent news! While I love my little daughter Emma very, very much, there is something about having a boy-child that’s pretty special for any dad. So . . . Well done to my lovely wife, Mary. And hip, hip hooray for me!"

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Deb's Coffee Klatch-Off Topic Chat-Friday's Nobel in Literature Announcement

Sweden poet Tomas Transtromer awarded Nobel Prize in literature

"Sweden's most lauded poet and a perennial favorite for the prize, Transtromer has written verse known for its intimate, evocative and sometimes mystical descriptions of nature and the human mind."

Los Angeles Times

The Sorrow Gondola 

Selected Poems, 1954-1986 

For the Living and the Dead 

The Half-Finished Heaven 

The Great Enigma 

Tomas Transtromer 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
KathyS

[ Edited ]

Peppermill wrote:

Thanks for the Steve Jobs quotation today!  How sad to lose him, when so many today get to reach much older ages and still be contributing.

Did you all catch this from Donald Angus's site (it's not quite today's news -- I first saw it a day or two ago): 

"Wow! Stunning news today. I’m going to be having a son in February. I knew, obviously, that I was going to have a something in the new year – but I found out at the scan today that it’s a boy. Excellent news! While I love my little daughter Emma very, very much, there is something about having a boy-child that’s pretty special for any dad. So . . . Well done to my lovely wife, Mary. And hip, hip hooray for me!"

Cool news! Congrats to Angus and his wife!  And....good luck!

Speaking of boys...This morning I feel like I've been run over by one little 8 yr. old  boy named Evan! He has more energy than the energizer bunny! And a 10 yr. old little girl named Emma, "Ms. Teacher"....drove me over the edge! And I have tire tracks to prove it!  It's a long story, they went home at 8:30 last night.... we had fun, but suffice it to say, Grandma is pooped this morning!

Peppermill

Energizer bunny    In honor of Kathy's grandson!  May he sometimes have you floating on air rather than like this (yeh, I know, the parallels aren't quite right -- but I couldn't think of a "Kathy" balloon.):

Energizer bunny deflated

Kathy -- love the tire treads on the smiley-face!

KathyS wrote:

Speaking of boys...This morning I feel like I've been run over by one little 8 yr. old  boy named Evan! He has more energy than the energizer bunny! And a 10 yr. old little girl named Emma, "Ms. Teacher"....drove me over the edge! And I have tire tracks to prove it!  It's a long story, they went home at 8:30 last night.... we had fun, but suffice it to say, Grandma is pooped this morning!

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:

I didn't sign in after 5 central last evening and today everything seems fine. Is it for you too, let me know

First, TGIF!

Well the site still wont let my nook on line and I'm going through withdraw! I don't have a cell or PC, so my nook is all I got and I love these boards. I'm not the only one I seen threads pop up from others having problems and down at the bottom where it says members online, well the numbers are way lower than normal.

Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!