Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Thought for the Day

Here's today's Thought

How dreadful knowledge of the truth can be
when there’s no help in the truth.”

~ Sophocles

Sophocles (497/6BC – 406/5 BC) One of three ancient Greek tragedians whose plays have survived. His first plays were written later than those of Aeschylus, and earlier than those of Euripides. According to the Suda, a 10th century encyclopedia, Sophocles wrote 123 plays during the course of his life, but only seven have survived in a complete form…Source | More

dhaupt
0 Kudos

here's today's thought

“The chains of habit
are generally too small to be felt
until they are too strong to be broken.”

~ Samuel Johnson

Samuel Johnson (September 18th 1709 - December 13th 1784) (aged 75) British author who made lasting contributions to English literature as a poet, essayist, moralist, literary critic, biographer, editor and lexicographer. Johnson was a devout Anglican and committed Tory, and has been described as “arguably the most distinguished man of letters in English history”…Source

dhaupt

Here's today's thought

“At least three times every day
take a moment and ask yourself
what is really important.
Have the wisdom and the courage
to build your life around your answer.”

~ Lee Jampolsky

As a recognized leader in psychology and human potential, Dr. Lee Jampolsky has served on the medical staff and faculty of respected hospitals and graduate schools. He has contributed to the personal and spiritual growth of countless individuals around the globe…source

dhaupt

Here's our Sunday thought for the day

I hope wherever you are you're enjoying blue skies and bird song

and if you remember this fellow you're showing your age, in fact I remember my mom exercising with his TV show

“If you want to change somebody,
don’t preach to him.
Set an example and shut up.”

~ Jack LaLanne

[jlalanne]

Francois Henri “Jack” LaLanne (September 26, 1914 – January 23, 2011) was an American fitness, exercise, and nutritional expert and motivational speaker who is sometimes called “the godfather of fitness” and the “first fitness superhero.” more

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

I remember His Juicer lol..VT Weather Update Crystal Clear Blue Skies...Birds are Chirping...But Very Warm for VT...And your Neck of The Woods?
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:
I remember His Juicer lol..VT Weather Update Crystal Clear Blue Skies...Birds are Chirping...But Very Warm for VT...And your Neck of The Woods?

That's right his juicer. :smileyhappy:

Well it was pretty stormy Friday night hubby and I ate dinner in the basement, lot of damage in the area but not my direct area, now it's very cool in the mid 60s

low lying flooding going on too.

dhaupt

[ Edited ]

Today's thought brought to us by

images.jpeg

the one and only

“Someday we’ll find it,
the rainbow connection,

The lovers, the dreamers and me.”

~Kermit the Frog
(The Rainbow Connection)

Kermit the Frog is puppeteer Jim Henson’s most famous Muppet creation, first introduced in 1955. He is the protagonist of many Muppet projects, most notably on The Muppet Show, and Sesame Street, as well as movies, specials, and public service announcements throughout the years…Source

Oh and don't forget to visit my blog for my monthly featured read starting today!!!

dhaupt

“If you obey all the rules,
you miss all the fun.”

~ Katharine Hepburn
(1907-2003)

images.jpeg*Katharine Houghton Hepburn

Born: May 12, 1907 Hartford, Connecticut, U.S.
Died: June 29, 2003 (Age 96) Fenwick, Old Saybrook, Connecticut, U.S.

An American actress of film, stage, and television. Throughout her six-decade career, Hepburn co-starred with screen legends including Cary Grant, Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, Laurence Olivier, Henry Fonda and Spencer Tracy. Hepburn holds the record for the most Best Actress Oscar wins with four out of 12 nominations.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Love the Hepburn quote. She is still classy.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Love the Hepburn quote. She is still classy.

Thanks Pen I loved her too and you're right she was a very classy lady

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Here's Wednesday's thought

“When I was young,
I observed that nine out of ten things I did
were failures.
So I did ten times more work.”

~ George Bernard Shaw

George Bernard Shaw (26 July 1856 - 2 November 1950 (aged 94) was an Irish playwright. Although his first profitable writing was music and literary criticism, his main talent was for drama, and he wrote more than 60 plays. Shaw examined education, marriage, religion, government, health care and class privilege…Source | More

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi peeps here's Thursday's thought

“Nothing in life is to be feared,
it is only to be understood.
Now is the time to understand more,
so that we may fear less.”

~ Marie Curie

Marie Sklodowska–Curie (7 November 1867 - 4 July 1934) (aged 66) A physicist & chemist of Polish upbringing & subsequent French citizenship. She was a pioneer in the field of radioactivity & the first person honored with two Nobel Prizes; in physics & chemistry. She was also the first female professor at the University of Paris. source | more

dhaupt

[ Edited ]

Here's our Friday Thought

“A ship is safe in harbor,
but that’s not what ships are for.”

~ William Shedd

William Greenough Thayer Shedd
(June 21, 1820 – November 17, 1894), was an American Presbyterian Theologian, teacher and author.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

This is Your Friday Logo Deb...TGIF. It's Adorable...
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:
This is Your Friday Logo Deb...TGIF. It's Adorable...

Thanks VT!!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Today's thought is from JFK

“We should never negotiate out of fear,
but we should never fear to negotiate.”

~ John F. Kennedy

John-F-Kennedy.png

John Fitzgerald “Jack” Kennedy (May 29, 1917 – November 22, 1963)  was the 35th President of the United States, serving from 1961 until his death in 1963. Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963 in Dallas, Texas… source

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Happy Friday, be sure and visit the Nook Free Friday's blog to get a great book about Mickey Mantel

here's our Friday thought

“If you don’t have confidence,
you’ll always find a way not to win.”

~ Carl Lewis

Frederick Carlton “Carl” Lewis (born July 1, 1961) is an American former track and field athlete and United Nations Goodwill Ambassador, who won 10 Olympic medals including 9 gold, and 10 World Championships medals, including 8 gold. His career spanned from 1979 when he first achieved a world ranking to 1996 when he last won an Olympic title and subsequently retired…source

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Happy Monday :smileysad:

“This is the real secret of life,
to be completely engaged
with what you are doing
in the here and now.
And instead of calling it work,
realize it is play.”

~ Alan Watts

Alan Wilson Watts (6 January 1915 – 16 November 1973) was a British-born philosopher, writer, and speaker, best known as an interpreter and populariser of Eastern philosophy for a Western audience…Source

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Good Sunday morning peeps, I tried to view the Super Moon this morning but alas too many clouds

here's our Today's thought

“God’s gift I see that’s moving up there into the night
Though dark the mirror in the sky reflects us our light
Looks like a little brother to the sun
Or mother to the stars at night
And here it is and here it comes
Here comes the moon, the moon, the moon, the moon, the moon
Here comes the moon, the moon, the moon, the moon, the moon
Oh yeah”

~ George Harrison,
Here comes the moon

Watch this video on YouTube.

[George Harrison]George Harrison  (25 February 1943 – 29 November 2001) was an English musician, singer and songwriter who achieved international fame as the lead guitarist of the Beatles.

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Unfortunately we didn't know about the moon last night and crashed when we got home.  I would have loved to see it. I love big ol moons.  

But we did see some wonderful sights yesterday, including a lot of the places that were talked about in The Chimney Still Stands that took place along the Buffalo river and in St Jo's.  It was kinda cool.  We also found out that our DIL's grandparents live up one of those remote dusts dirt roads in near the Buffalo.  

I just kept hearing entire lines from the book through my head as we roamed through the area.  It was a really cool day.

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.