Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Entertainment -- Movie

[ Edited ]

Saw a movie we enjoyed over the weekend (I'm not a frequent movie goer):

"Crazy Stupid Love" 

It had received a good review in a local paper.  My son tells me it has been out for awhile.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1570728/

Jonah Bobo Emma Stone  Analeigh Tipton   -- enjoyed the performances of each of these.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt

Re: Deb gets to Meet 3 Wonderful Favorite Authors

[ Edited ]

Oh Wow I can't tell you how much I loved Saturday, it was a dream come true and I'm still pinching myself.

Your very own Deb, that's right me, got to meet

Hank Phillippi Ryan, JT Ellison and Julie Compton, those frequent visitors to the board know Julie and Hank as we featured books by both of them and you'll get to meet JT next year when we feature her first mystery in a new series she's working on. And, and I took pictures. They were wonderful, they were gracious and I can't thank them enough for the giving of their time for this. I learned so much more about them too.

In case you don't remember Julie she wrote

Rescuing Olivia  

and of course it was just last month that we discussed

Prime Time (Charlotte McNally Series #1)  

But JT is the author of The Taylor Jackson series of thriller/murder/mysteries

The Immortals (Taylor Jackson Series #5) 

So Close the Hand of Death (Taylor Jackson Series #6)   

Without further ado here we are!!!!!!!

GEDC0159.JPG
GEDC0160.JPG
KathyS
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Oh Wow I can't tell you how much I loved Saturday, it was a dream come true and I'm still pinching myself.

Hank Phillippi Ryan, JT Ellison and Julie Compton, those frequent visitors to the board know Julie and Hank as we featured books by both of them and you'll get to meet JT next year when we feature her first mystery in a new series she's working on. And, and I took pictures. They were wonderful, they were gracious and I can't thank them enough for the giving of their time for this. I learned so much more about them too.

Rescuing Olivia  

Sounds like you really had a great time!  How fun to meet these writers.

KathyS

Monday Morning!

[ Edited ]

It's still Monday Morning, here in So. Cal...still drinking my coffee......still not dressed, although I did throw some water on my face, still posting on the board....still haven't eaten...I've got a library book that's over-due....still....but to return it means I have to get dressed and put my make-up on...I've been on the go all week, and weekend, day and night, and I don't want to go anywhere today!  I don't want to talk to anybody...I don't want to see anybody....I'm all socialized out!.... No way, no how!

I've got Lisa Tucker's latest novel, The Winters In Bloom....started reading it last night....not sure how I'm feeling about it right now...too early....the characters are looking more like caricatures, than real people, which seems odd writing for Lisa.  I'm going to read it today, and don't anybody bother me!  :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Monday Morning!

KathyS wrote:

It's still Monday Morning, here in So. Cal...still drinking my coffee......still not dressed, although I did throw some water on my face, still posting on the board....still haven't eaten...I've got a library book that's over-due....still....but to return it means I have to get dressed and put my make-up on...I've been on the go all week, and weekend, day and night, and I don't want to go anywhere today!  I don't want to talk to anybody...I don't want to see anybody....I'm all socialized out!.... No way, no how!

I've got Lisa Tucker's latest novel, The Winters In Bloom....started reading it last night....not sure how I'm feeling about it right now...too early....the characters are looking more like caricatures, than real people, which seems odd writing for Lisa.  I'm going to read it today, and don't anybody bother me!  :smileyhappy:

Kathy, you have our permission to take the day off, turn in the book late and we'll hang this on your door

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Rescuing Olivia  

OH YOU LUCKY DOG!!!!!!  I hope you all had soooooo much fun.  I am glad they all got to come to the big bash.  It looks like it was really something special.

MM

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

California Immersion

Hey Guys,

We've been off the board just a bit this last week, as we have been in California visiting our daughter and her husband.  Boy has it been an immersion experience.  Little India, Little Islam-abad (?), Opera, Safariland, Baseball, Seminary Tour (her school), Singing for her church on Sunday, dinner out almost every night with a different ethnic theme....  I'm stuffed, tired, but have had a blast.  

Most important have been the hours of discussion and literary / theological rhetoric back and forth over coffee, dinner, down the freeway, where-ever.  

Enjoying the quite down time, as they live in the middle of a large old campus in the LA area in a quaint bungalow, under old old trees and palms.  It has been peaceful.  Such a huge change from our remote little valley on the other side of this great continent.  

I have managed to check out a bunch of coffee shops, LOOK in a bunch of those fancy cupcake shops, and nothing compares to the wonderful comradery that I have missed this week here in Deb's Coffee Kletch.  I'll see you guys when I get back at the end of the week.  I miss you all...but am enjoying sunny California an awful lot.  LOL....then back to the cool misty valleys of West Virginia.

I sure am ready to sink my teeth into hunting down Robin Hood and his merry band of misfits next month.

Keep the coffee hot, Deb.  I am hoping you have some of those pumpkin spice muffins around at the end of the week.  I will be ready for one.

Muse 

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Re: California Immersion

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Hey Guys,

We've been off the board just a bit this last week, as we have been in California visiting our daughter and her husband.  Boy has it been an immersion experience.  Little India, Little Islam-abad (?), Opera, Safariland, Baseball, Seminary Tour (her school), Singing for her church on Sunday, dinner out almost every night with a different ethnic theme....  I'm stuffed, tired, but have had a blast.  

Most important have been the hours of discussion and literary / theological rhetoric back and forth over coffee, dinner, down the freeway, where-ever.  

Enjoying the quite down time, as they live in the middle of a large old campus in the LA area in a quaint bungalow, under old old trees and palms.  It has been peaceful.  Such a huge change from our remote little valley on the other side of this great continent.  

I have managed to check out a bunch of coffee shops, LOOK in a bunch of those fancy cupcake shops, and nothing compares to the wonderful comradery that I have missed this week here in Deb's Coffee Kletch.  I'll see you guys when I get back at the end of the week.  I miss you all...but am enjoying sunny California an awful lot.  LOL....then back to the cool misty valleys of West Virginia.

I sure am ready to sink my teeth into hunting down Robin Hood and his merry band of misfits next month.

Keep the coffee hot, Deb.  I am hoping you have some of those pumpkin spice muffins around at the end of the week.  I will be ready for one.

Muse 

Hi Muse ( and everyone else) Glad you are enjoying your trip ! I guess this is the time for So. California ! I'm off tomorrow for a week with my sister for our annual "sister's" week. She lives in Newport - a little south of LA and then we are going over to Catalina Island for a few days. Lots of "vegging" with a good book and good friend. I'll be checking in from time to time, but I, too and looking forward to Robin Hood while I'm gonne. Take care everyone - Keep the coffee hot for me too, Deb...

Anne

pen21
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Kathy, that is how I felt yesterday morning and this morning. I didn't even feel like looking at posts yesterday and didn't read much either. I feel better just from looking at the graphics.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Hey Guys,

Muse 

Hi Muse ( and everyone else) Glad you are enjoying your trip ! I guess this is the time for So. California ! I'm off tomorrow for a week with my sister for our annual "sister's" week. She lives in Newport - a little south of LA and then we are going over to Catalina Island for a few days. Lots of "vegging" with a good book and good friend. I'll be checking in from time to time, but I, too and looking forward to Robin Hood while I'm gonne. Take care everyone - Keep the coffee hot for me too, Deb...

Anne

Muse, so glad you're enjoying your visit w/kids and lots of activities, the coffee pot is always full and always fresh, I do keep the hot water ready in case Ryan stops by for his tea.

Anne, I hope you enjoy your visit w/sis, how nice that you are able to do it.

We miss you too and can't wait to see you all back on the homefront and ready to tackle October's read. It's gonna be fun :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy, that is how I felt yesterday morning and this morning. I didn't even feel like looking at posts yesterday and didn't read much either. I feel better just from looking at the graphics.

Oh Pen I"m so sorry, here are some graphics just for you

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Tuesday Thought

I just realized that I deprived you all of a thought for Monday so today you get two :smileyhappy:

“A strong man stands up for himself,
a stronger man stands up for others.”

~ Author Unknown

“Some men have thousands of reasons
why they cannot do what they want to,
when all they need
is one reason why they can.”

~ Willis Whitney
(1868-1958)

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Good morning, Deb!

What gives with these pre-sixties quotations? lol ("man", "men")

(I have been reading Barth recently and I have become very aware of the change that the shift in language that occurred in the mid-sixties, early seventies made on what one read.  At the time, I thought pretty much, no big deal, why can't everyone just "translate".  But after years of the change, I recognize and appreciate the difference, especially when I step into the past and experience again what was the previous norm.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Good morning, Deb!

What gives with these pre-sixties quotations? lol ("man", "men")

(I have been reading Barth recently and I have become very aware of the change that the shift in language that occurred in the mid-sixties, early seventies made on what one read.  At the time, I thought pretty much, no big deal, why can't everyone just "translate".  But after years of the change, I recognize and appreciate the difference, especially when I step into the past and experience again what was the previous norm.)

Hi Pepper, I just pick a thought at random, no rhyme or reason to it.

But as usual you've made me think deeper thoughts, and I've just realized why I have such a hard time reading novels from the near past and I enjoy books from the distant past, it's the dialogue, and a lightbulb goes off. But a classic written many decades and even hundreds of years in the past I expect the language difference and allow for them, but don't allow the same for novels written just a decade or two ago and you're right the rhythm of the words has changed. Huh, something else to think about.

Thanks Pepper.  :smileyhappy:

KathyS
0 Kudos

I take pause, as my highlight of last week was meeting Mr. and Mrs. Claus!

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone - Before I go away, I have a question and I w...

Hi Everyone - Before I go away, I have a question and I would value the opinions of you all - I'm reading  a book that was written a while ago (the 1990s) and just released into ebook form. I'm not sure if it's the really bad proof reading or a glitch in the conversion process (I don't quite know how they do it), but there are so many errors !!! There are spelling, grammer, name mix-ups and continuity issues. Should I complain to the author, publisher or just keep my mouth shut ??? What do you think? Thanks

Anne

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Hi Everyone - Before I go away, I have a question and I w...

1AnneB wrote:

Hi Everyone - Before I go away, I have a question and I would value the opinions of you all - I'm reading  a book that was written a while ago (the 1990s) and just released into ebook form. I'm not sure if it's the really bad proof reading or a glitch in the conversion process (I don't quite know how they do it), but there are so many errors !!! There are spelling, grammer, name mix-ups and continuity issues. Should I complain to the author, publisher or just keep my mouth shut ??? What do you think? Thanks

Anne

Complain to everyone, do not keep your mouth shut, usually authors who re-issue novels also rework them so it might be a glitch, but your opinion matters to authors and such and they want to know, in fact they'll probably be glad you said something.

Have a great trip Anne

KathyS
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

Anne

Anne, I agree with Debbie.  With this many errors in publication, I don't think an author would want their name on what looks like a mess!  It's really a shame, and I'm sorry you ended up with this problem.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

1AnneB wrote:

Anne

Complain to everyone, do not keep your mouth shut, usually authors who re-issue novels also rework them so it might be a glitch, but your opinion matters to authors and such and they want to know, in fact they'll probably be glad you said something.

Have a great trip Anne

Anne -- I hope complaining to whomever you bought it from is on your list, too!  If you want it, request (demand?) a refund or exchange.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

1AnneB wrote:

Anne

Have a great trip Anne

Anne -- I hope complaining to whomever you bought it from is on your list, too!  If you want it, request (demand?) a refund or exchange.

Good point Pepper, it's one thing to not enjoy a read because of your own judgment of the book but yes get your money back for something shoddily done.