Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Re:Waiting my turn

Kathy makes a plug for another way of interacting with these boards which many of us never learn, let alone even try! (I'm no longer even certain what it is called or how to initiate it, although I once did. :smileysad:)

KathyS wrote:

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Do you guys remember the big family reunions where everyone is gathered around and it seems like there are a twenty different conversations going at the same time.  AND they are all very interesting and you really want to be in the middle of at least 80% of them and not miss a word being said?

Well, that is the way I feel about the conversations going on about the wonderful questions and discussions on the Angus Donald's Outlaw book right now.  It is almost over whelming and wonderful at the same time.  Which post do you respond to with your own idea?  What do you think about that statement?  Okay, Okay,...you need to wait you turn and let someone else post about what they think or we'll all lose track of the responses. eyes  I'm personally enjoying this book as much as I did Witching Hill.  Thank you Debbie!  Thank you, Angus. 

Muse

Karen, you kill me!  LOL.  I know what you mean, but this discussion is an easy one, compared to the hundreds of posts we'd get on TFLC!  Now THAT was overwhelming! And, would make your head spin!  But, thankfully the moderator was a pro at keeping the threads straight.

Because in my view of these boards, I can see who is posting, before I open that post up to read it.  I used to pick and choose those people I thought would give a good response, and simply mark the rest as "read" on the board, so as to not confuse me on what to read the next day.  It was just my way of staying involved, without overwhelming myself with reading redundant, and not so very interesting observations by some people's posts.  Like I said, when you're plowing through hundreds, you have to be selective.  And a lot of those people NEVER read any of the other posts, before they would post....just simply post their boring thoughts, with no intention of ever interacting with anyone else.  I learned to avoid those people's posts, it was a waste of my time to read them.

That's why, also, you had to pay special attention to the SUBJECT LINES, and change them when you changed topics....so you could keep all the dialogue/conversation straight.  Otherwise you (or I) would get lost. 

I didn't read anyone's posts, yesterday, and this morning I had to read through them all....no one took the time to write in the subject line, but because of my view of these boards, I can go through them by the date and time they were posted, so as to make them halfway coherent for me to read. Thank goodness there aren't that many participants, or posts, otherwise I would have to skip this whole discussion all together.  :smileyhappy:

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
KathyS
0 Kudos

That's okay Pepper....if you're happy with your view, that's what counts.  I've never been able to convince anyone that my threaded view of these boards is better than the linear view, which is the default view.  Most find the threaded view confusing.  I simply like it because it can create a "conversational" look to the board threads (who's saying what to whom), but because most everyone posts to the linear, they can mess up my view when not changing the subject header....but, I've accepted this mess, and I've learned how to understand and read it, when I make the effort. 

Peppermill wrote:

Kathy makes a plug for another way of interacting with these boards which many of us never learn, let alone even try! (I'm no longer even certain what it is called or how to initiate it, although I once did. :smileysad:)

KathyS wrote:

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Do you guys remember the big family reunions where everyone is gathered around and it seems like there are a twenty different conversations going at the same time.  AND they are all very interesting and you really want to be in the middle of at least 80% of them and not miss a word being said?

Well, that is the way I feel about the conversations going on about the wonderful questions and discussions on the Angus Donald's Outlaw book right now.  It is almost over whelming and wonderful at the same time.  Which post do you respond to with your own idea?  What do you think about that statement?  Okay, Okay,...you need to wait you turn and let someone else post about what they think or we'll all lose track of the responses. eyes  I'm personally enjoying this book as much as I did Witching Hill.  Thank you Debbie!  Thank you, Angus. 

Muse

Karen, you kill me!  LOL.  I know what you mean, but this discussion is an easy one, compared to the hundreds of posts we'd get on TFLC!  Now THAT was overwhelming! And, would make your head spin!  But, thankfully the moderator was a pro at keeping the threads straight.

Because in my view of these boards, I can see who is posting, before I open that post up to read it.  I used to pick and choose those people I thought would give a good response, and simply mark the rest as "read" on the board, so as to not confuse me on what to read the next day.  It was just my way of staying involved, without overwhelming myself with reading redundant, and not so very interesting observations by some people's posts.  Like I said, when you're plowing through hundreds, you have to be selective.  And a lot of those people NEVER read any of the other posts, before they would post....just simply post their boring thoughts, with no intention of ever interacting with anyone else.  I learned to avoid those people's posts, it was a waste of my time to read them.

That's why, also, you had to pay special attention to the SUBJECT LINES, and change them when you changed topics....so you could keep all the dialogue/conversation straight.  Otherwise you (or I) would get lost. 

I didn't read anyone's posts, yesterday, and this morning I had to read through them all....no one took the time to write in the subject line, but because of my view of these boards, I can go through them by the date and time they were posted, so as to make them halfway coherent for me to read. Thank goodness there aren't that many participants, or posts, otherwise I would have to skip this whole discussion all together.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

I used the threaded view for a short time. Wasn't bad but its hard to read with a nook because every thing is different.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Peppermill
0 Kudos

A Medieval Scourge

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/13/science/13plague.html

Since we are deep into medieval times, I'll post this link to DNA archeology on the Black Plague.  Most of what I have seen recently suggests this was a scourge that periodically reappeared, perhaps the same, equally likely a variant.  As I recall, Donald touches on plague somewhere in Outlaw, although it is set some 200 years earlier than the period associated with the devastating plague that wiped out substantial populations in Europe.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: A Medieval Scourge

Peppermill wrote:

Since we are deep into medieval times, I'll post this link to DNA archeology on the Black Plague.  Most of what I have seen recently suggests this was a scourge that periodically reappeared, perhaps the same, equally likely a variant.  As I recall, Donald touches on plague somewhere in Outlaw, although it is set some 200 years earlier than the period associated with the devastating plague that wiped out substantial populations in Europe.

Thanks Pepper, and of course my book is at home but Alan's father and sister's died of some ague.

Thanks for the link

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Thursday Thought

Here's the thought for today

“Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights.
Get up, stand up, Don’t give up the fight.”

Bob Marley
(1945-1981)

and a cup of joe

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Thanks Pepper, and of course my book is at home but Alan's father and sister's died of some ague.

Thanks for the link

Or the "Bloody Flux " Which sounds equally yukky !!

Anne

dhaupt
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Thanks for the link

Or the "Bloody Flux " Which sounds equally yukky !!

Anne

Oh Anne, yes now I remember the "bloody flux" ewwwwwwwwwwww

KathyS
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Here's the thought for today

“Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights.
Get up, stand up, Don’t give up the fight.”

Bob Marley
(1945-1981)

and a cup of joe

I'm trying my best, but staying up late to finish the fight scene in Outlaw?....UGH!

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Mmmm coffee. My aunt got me addicted to the iced coffees with extra chocolate. Anyway. I like the thought can't wait till Friday! :smileyhappy:
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Peppermill

GS2991 wrote:
Mmmm coffee. My aunt got me addicted to the iced coffees with extra chocolate. Anyway. I like the thought can't wait till Friday! :smileyhappy:

Coffee creamerDiscovering these has been my bane  -- but what a delightful one!  I haven't tasted the chocolate one yet, but have liked all the flavors I have tried, even though the "Original Irish Creme" is probably still my favorite.  At least it is a lot cheaper than the gourmet coffee shops and I try to make sure to buy the day I have an additional 5% discount as a senior at one of our local grocery stores.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Ooo Irish creme sounds good! Since there is no coffee shop around I just bought a big thing of Hershey's chocolate syrup and make my own. Ignoring my parents. They don't like coffee therefor I guess they think I shouldn't either. O well their loss more for me heehee.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Peppermill

http://www.baileyscreamers.com/flavors/?id=223

GS -- check this out sometime?  As I say, I haven't tried it yet.

GS2991 wrote:
Ooo Irish creme sounds good! Since there is no coffee shop around I just bought a big thing of Hershey's chocolate syrup and make my own. Ignoring my parents. They don't like coffee therefor I guess they think I shouldn't either. O well their loss more for me heehee.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Great thanks! I'll check it out latta! :smileywink:
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Deb's Coffee Klatch-Off Topic Chat

I cut a piece of cheesecake for you all, but in the process I cut my finger....

"War is not about who is right, it is about who is left."

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Thanks! Mmmm cheesecake. Yummmmy . . . Is your finger ok?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

dhaupt

Happy Friday

here's today's thought

“A dream you dream alone is only a dream.
A dream you dream together is reality.”

John Lennon
(1940-1980)

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
That reminds me of Nightmare on Elm street. I watched that lastnight. Johnny Depp was really young in that movie.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

KathyS

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Friday night coffee house

It's Friday night and oh what I wouldn't do for a good coffee house and some good coffee and jazz to listen too.  Oh yeah, a few good friends to hang with wouldn't be so bad either.  

Guess I'm missing Santa Fe and home. :smileyindifferent:

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.