Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: Take Time to Play

Congratulations on the new place!

I'd love some coffee.

KathyS
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

KathyS wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Thank all of you for the very warm welcome on the opening of my little cafe and coversation spot. I hope you'll all stop in regularly for coffee and chat.

Here's Friday's Thought, I hope they got the author right this time. :smileyhappy:

“Beware of little expenses.
A small leak will sink a great ship.”

Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)

And finally

You're so purty when you smile Kathy :smileyhappy:

And you've given me my first laugh of my day!  :smileyvery-happy:   Thanks!  My friend Susie and I are taking my lard bucket rear-end, and heading to the beach today!  Yay!!  I need the smell of the ocean to infuse my brain cells.  They've been fried from this heat!

Have a great day! 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

pen21 wrote:

Congratulations on the new place!

I'd love some coffee.

Thanks Luanne, it's good to see you here !!!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

KathyS wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Thank all of you for the very warm welcome on the opening of my little cafe and coversation spot. I hope you'll all stop in regularly for coffee and chat.

Here's Friday's Thought, I hope they got the author right this time. :smileyhappy:

“Beware of little expenses.
A small leak will sink a great ship.”

Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)

And finally

You're so purty when you smile Kathy :smileyhappy:

And you've given me my first laugh of my day!  :smileyvery-happy:   Thanks!  My friend Susie and I are taking my lard bucket rear-end, and heading to the beach today!  Yay!!  I need the smell of the ocean to infuse my brain cells.  They've been fried from this heat!

Have a great day! 

Oh have fun Kathy and sway in the breeze once for me too.

Ryan_G

Do you mind if I drink tea instead? For some reason I never could handle the taste of coffee.

I love the decour though, very lovely.  I did bring you some cakes and sandwiches as a grand opening present.

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Oh Ryan..How Beautiful!!!..Still deciding....I have my favorite "Sleepytime Tea" every night...I think I will Try one of each..Especially The Pink Present Ones".."Ginger Honey Tea "...Deb will be so Happy...

Ryan_G wrote:

Do you mind if I drink tea instead? For some reason I never could handle the taste of coffee.

I love the decour though, very lovely.  I did bring you some cakes and sandwiches as a grand opening present.

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Oh Deb,
I see you got a delivery of Earl Grey and cucumber sandwiches with petite fours.  I'll take some of each, please.  With cream and sugar.   Sorry I missed coffee yesterday, we were intransit.
MM

Ryan_G wrote:

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Tea Time

Ryan thanks so much for the lovely treats, and of course tea is on the menu, just list your favorite poisions and I'll have them stocked, and I'll give you a proper tea welcome when I get back to work and back to high speed internet.:smileyhappy:

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Re: Deb's Coffee Klatch-Off Topic Chat

We are out in Claremont. CA visiting our Daughter right now and there are five Universities within blocks of each other in this small community.  This morning, we walked from one of the campus' to the historic downtown while it was cool and quiet.  What a joy awaited us when we found street after street with coffee shops, bagel shops, bakeries, and tea shops.  This didn't include the grills, bars, and resturaunts that weren't open yet, that only served, lunch/dinner.  

I thought WOW, Debbie would go nuts down here with these quaint old storefronts, sidewalk tables everywhere, and the smell of bakery goods and coffee permeating the air.  By the way, we thought we were walking around the block from our daughter's house and the "around-the-block" turned out to be almost 2.5 miles. Lol  Yup, we stopped for breakfast.....homemade fresh blueberry pancakes with bacon and fresh hot coffee....I'll be going back down for some of those showcase (frameable) cupcakes.... I may have to buy one of each.  I'll take pictures for your coffee shop, Deb.  Of course I didn't have my camera with me this morning :-/

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

We are out in Claremont. CA visiting our Daughter right now and there are five Universities within blocks of each other in this small community.  This morning, we walked from one of the campus' to the historic downtown while it was cool and quiet.  What a joy awaited us when we found street after street with coffee shops, bagel shops, bakeries, and tea shops.  This didn't include the grills, bars, and resturaunts that weren't open yet, that only served, lunch/dinner.  

I thought WOW, Debbie would go nuts down here with these quaint old storefronts, sidewalk tables everywhere, and the smell of bakery goods and coffee permeating the air.  By the way, we thought we were walking around the block from our daughter's house and the "around-the-block" turned out to be almost 2.5 miles. Lol  Yup, we stopped for breakfast.....homemade fresh blueberry pancakes with bacon and fresh hot coffee....I'll be going back down for some of those showcase (frameable) cupcakes.... I may have to buy one of each.  I'll take pictures for your coffee shop, Deb.  Of course I didn't have my camera with me this morning :-/

Muse

Karen!  Why didn't you tell me you were heading to Claremont?  I'm not that far away.  Maybe an hour or so!  How long are you going to be staying?  I'd love to meet you!

KathyS

Went to the beach!

Yesterday, my friend Susie and I went to the beach.  I persuaded her to go...she was having a tough week. 

As soon as we got close to the coast/ocean, we rolled down the windows of my car.. a fresh, cool breeze hit us like a breath from heaven!  No more air-conditioning!

As we were driving, she'd ask me if I knew where I was going, and what the plan was.  I've been to Oceanside a million times and knew exactly what we were going to do.  I told her the same, and gave her the plan.   My car knew the way, and I did minimal thinking, myself.  I believe it took a lot off of her mind, that it wasn't up to her to have to make a decision, at least for one day.

I knew where to park the car, and where to take our chairs and set up on the beach, and I knew where I was going to take her for lunch.  It was noon when we got there.

At the harbor's marina, there's some neat shops, and eating places.  I took her to the fish place that has really good food.  We both ordered the Friday special of the day...one piece of batter fried fish, one shimp, fries...with coleslaw and clam chowder on the side. 

As we were sitting on the beach, watching the waves and people, she commented that she had had fish and chips on her mind that whole week!  (She didn't know  that that was where we were to find lunch).  She also commented that she was having the best time, enjoying herself emmensly, just sitting, eating a delicisous lunch that she'd hungered for!  I kept taking deep breaths, smelling the coolness of the salt air, as the floggy clouds came in.  Susie isn't supposed to be in direct sun light, so I did come prepared with umbrellas, too.   

We ate until we stuffed ourselves, and fed the rest of our fries to the waiting, and watching, seagulls....  we then both went back to the marina, I had to move the car...2 hr parking only...and we walked over to my favorite gift shop.  I bought a necklace...a lighthouse. 

By then, we both thought it time to pack up and head home.  Friday afternoon traffic can be a nightmare! 

We had something to deal with when we got back to town, which was giving Susie butterflies in the pit of her stomach...not good ones.  It was to look through a house that she would soon, if she chose, to move into this week.  She didn't know what to expect....a mess, or not.... I won't go into all the details, but we ended up seeing the woman who was moving out of it.  Just the night before, Susie had a screaming match on the phone with her.  I knew this woman. 

As we were driving away from the house, this woman's car was blocking the driveway....She moved it when she saw us, and I got out of my car and told Susie I needed to talk to this woman....the woman came over to me, and I asked if I could give her a hug.  I felt the need for myself, and for this woman, to make a good, last, connection, then and there.

I talked to her for a few minutes, and then Susie got out of my car....Susie wanted to appologize to her, she felt so bad for the way the phone conversation ended the night before.  We stood and talked for some time, and we wished this woman well, and she wished Susie well in the house. We then drove away.

Susie was near tears, as she told me how happy she was that we went to the beach, and then to have a positive outcome with this woman....I told her this is how I wanted this day to end, and couldn't have asked for more.  I wanted a resolution to this weeks turmoil that she'd experienced.  I'm so happy that this day ended on a positive note, for her, and for myself, and for this other woman.  Susie echoed these thoughts.

And that was my day, yesterday.  I slept like the dead last night, with a happy heart, and didn't get up until 9 this morning to the sound of thunder in the distance...no rain, just a cooler, sunny day today...so far!  :smileyhappy: 

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and sunny days, or whatever days that bring a ray of happiness into your lives!

Kathy

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

Re: Went to the beach!

Hi All,

It is another beautiful day out here in the midwest. I have had my windows open for 7 days now and loving it.

I am heading out to the beck deck to do some reading  before i head over to Gulity Pleasures pub at the paranormal book club. We are having huge burgers delivered tonight, stop in for some fun. :smileywink:

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I had a long day at work today, over 12 hours.  So now I'm sitting at home, with the windows open.  I'm drinking tea and listening to Julie London, Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald, and a few others.  I hope you all have a great Sunday.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Muse

Muse, what a great way to get "lost" in a new enviornment, give the girl a hug and I can't wait to see pics. Oh and I must say that Blueberry pancakes are one of my favorite things, of course French Toast has to top my list.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Yesterday, my friend Susie and I went to the beach.  I persuaded her to go...she was having a tough week. 

As soon as we got close to the coast/ocean, we rolled down the windows of my car.. a fresh, cool breeze hit us like a breath from heaven!  No more air-conditioning!

As we were driving, she'd ask me if I knew where I was going, and what the plan was.  I've been to Oceanside a million times and knew exactly what we were going to do.  I told her the same, and gave her the plan.   My car knew the way, and I did minimal thinking, myself.  I believe it took a lot off of her mind, that it wasn't up to her to have to make a decision, at least for one day.

I knew where to park the car, and where to take our chairs and set up on the beach, and I knew where I was going to take her for lunch.  It was noon when we got there.

At the harbor's marina, there's some neat shops, and eating places.  I took her to the fish place that has really good food.  We both ordered the Friday special of the day...one piece of batter fried fish, one shimp, fries...with coleslaw and clam chowder on the side. 

As we were sitting on the beach, watching the waves and people, she commented that she had had fish and chips on her mind that whole week!  (She didn't know  that that was where we were to find lunch).  She also commented that she was having the best time, enjoying herself emmensly, just sitting, eating a delicisous lunch that she'd hungered for!  I kept taking deep breaths, smelling the coolness of the salt air, as the floggy clouds came in.  Susie isn't supposed to be in direct sun light, so I did come prepared with umbrellas, too.   

We ate until we stuffed ourselves, and fed the rest of our fries to the waiting, and watching, seagulls....  we then both went back to the marina, I had to move the car...2 hr parking only...and we walked over to my favorite gift shop.  I bought a necklace...a lighthouse. 

By then, we both thought it time to pack up and head home.  Friday afternoon traffic can be a nightmare! 

We had something to deal with when we got back to town, which was giving Susie butterflies in the pit of her stomach...not good ones.  It was to look through a house that she would soon, if she chose, to move into this week.  She didn't know what to expect....a mess, or not.... I won't go into all the details, but we ended up seeing the woman who was moving out of it.  Just the night before, Susie had a screaming match on the phone with her.  I knew this woman. 

As we were driving away from the house, this woman's car was blocking the driveway....She moved it when she saw us, and I got out of my car and told Susie I needed to talk to this woman....the woman came over to me, and I asked if I could give her a hug.  I felt the need for myself, and for this woman, to make a good, last, connection, then and there.

I talked to her for a few minutes, and then Susie got out of my car....Susie wanted to appologize to her, she felt so bad for the way the phone conversation ended the night before.  We stood and talked for some time, and we wished this woman well, and she wished Susie well in the house. We then drove away.

Susie was near tears, as she told me how happy she was that we went to the beach, and then to have a positive outcome with this woman....I told her this is how I wanted this day to end, and couldn't have asked for more.  I wanted a resolution to this weeks turmoil that she'd experienced.  I'm so happy that this day ended on a positive note, for her, and for myself, and for this other woman.  Susie echoed these thoughts.

And that was my day, yesterday.  I slept like the dead last night, with a happy heart, and didn't get up until 9 this morning to the sound of thunder in the distance...no rain, just a cooler, sunny day today...so far!  :smileyhappy: 

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and sunny days, or whatever days that bring a ray of happiness into your lives!

Kathy

Kathy, I hope you can feel this hug from Missouri to CA from me to you, what a great friend to know when just to "be" with someone who needs something even she doesn't know what it is.

I hope the situation w/your friend Susie is resolved favorably and maybe some bad Kharma removal in the house is in order, or maybe just a friendly visit from you.

What a great day you had.

this was my day on Saturday, just did my domestic goddess chores, my mom is with us for the month and enjoyed her company. Grilled burgers last night and when hubby came inside when they were done, he brought in his beer glass that he left on the patio table while he grilled, he was about to put it in the sink when out jumped a tiny little tree frog, what a laugh we all had while trying to do our version of catch and release.

Enjoy your Sunday :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Ah the Weekend's almost over

kimba88 wrote:

Hi All,

It is another beautiful day out here in the midwest. I have had my windows open for 7 days now and loving it.

I am heading out to the beck deck to do some reading  before i head over to Gulity Pleasures pub at the paranormal book club. We are having huge burgers delivered tonight, stop in for some fun. :smileywink:

Me too kimba, but the weather is heating up and alas I'll have to rely on my electric company to keep me cool at night after tomorrow. Say hi to everyone over at Paul's place for me and have fun at the "burger bash"

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I had a long day at work today, over 12 hours.  So now I'm sitting at home, with the windows open.  I'm drinking tea and listening to Julie London, Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald, and a few others.  I hope you all have a great Sunday.

Ryan what a great way to relax after a workathon, I often let those voices lull me into peace too.

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy

Kathy, I hope you can feel this hug from Missouri to CA from me to you, what a great friend to know when just to "be" with someone who needs something even she doesn't know what it is.

I hope the situation w/your friend Susie is resolved favorably and maybe some bad Kharma removal in the house is in order, or maybe just a friendly visit from you.

What a great day you had.

this was my day on Saturday, just did my domestic goddess chores, my mom is with us for the month and enjoyed her company. Grilled burgers last night and when hubby came inside when they were done, he brought in his beer glass that he left on the patio table while he grilled, he was about to put it in the sink when out jumped a tiny little tree frog, what a laugh we all had while trying to do our version of catch and release.

Enjoy your Sunday :smileyhappy:

My question was:  How enebriated was that poor frog?  Lol  Could he hop a straight line? rof

muse

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Ryan_G wrote:

Can relate to those Long R Days...Still do a few where I work..So Many Shops...But I am listening to Diana Krall..On my way to BabyTime..A Friend Recommend....Will Stop at Debs Koffee Klatch for a Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin..She doesn't bake..But Hired someone...She is too Busy..."Event Planning" Kudos Deb...

Very Best of Diana Krall  and will Listen to The Eagles,Mumford and sons on my way to my Family,,Wating for Tony Bennett/Amy Winhouse too be released...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Sunday Morning Coffee

[ Edited ]

Vermontcozy wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Can relate to those Long R Days...Still do a few where I work..So Many Shops...But I am listening to Diana Krall..On my way to BabyTime..A Friend Recommend....Will Stop at Debs Koffee Klatch for a Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin..She doesn't bake..But Hired someone...She is too Busy..."Event Planning" Kudos Deb...

Very Best of Diana Krall  and will Listen to The Eagles,Mumford and sons on my way to my Family,,Wating for Tony Bennett/Amy Winhouse too be released...

My husband and I LOVE Diana Krall  !!!!!  But we thought she was our little secret.  Icicle Toes is a favorite of mine.

What's a coffee house without a little Jazz by the Masters:  

Ella and Louis [Master Edition]  

Seeing as Deb has hired the bakers and I'm picking them up here in Claremont.  I think I will have one of those Pumpkin Hazelnut muffins, with an Almond Croizzant and then a ooooooooo, how about a Vanilla Bean Latte.

Oh, yes, I'll take the pastries heated, with some cream cheese on the side. please