Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Hi Everyone - Before I go away, I have a question and I w...

One Day closer to Friday gang

here's the thought for the day

“To overcome difficulties
is to experience the full delight of existence.”

Arthur Schopenhauer
(1788-1860)

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Arthur Schopenhauer
(1788-1860)

Wish I felt that way today.  I'd just prefer that certain things were easier!  (Yes, I'll laugh!)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Arthur Schopenhauer
(1788-1860)

Wish I felt that way today.  I'd just prefer that certain things were easier!  (Yes, I'll laugh!)

Well Pepper, here's hoping that certain things get easier.

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

1AnneB wrote:

Hi Everyone - Before I go away, I have a question and I would value the opinions of you all - I'm reading  a book that was written a while ago (the 1990s) and just released into ebook form. I'm not sure if it's the really bad proof reading or a glitch in the conversion process (I don't quite know how they do it), but there are so many errors !!! There are spelling, grammer, name mix-ups and continuity issues. Should I complain to the author, publisher or just keep my mouth shut ??? What do you think? Thanks

Anne

Complain to everyone, do not keep your mouth shut, usually authors who re-issue novels also rework them so it might be a glitch, but your opinion matters to authors and such and they want to know, in fact they'll probably be glad you said something.

Have a great trip Anne

Anne -- I hope complaining to whomever you bought it from is on your list, too!  If you want it, request (demand?) a refund or exchange.

Good point Pepper, it's one thing to not enjoy a read because of your own judgment of the book but yes get your money back for something shoddily done.

I Ditto all above, especially getting your money back.  You would expect it for a shoddily put together hardback.  Anymore we are paying just as much for the ebook.  We should expect the same quality from the electronic version as from the printed version.  

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Arthur Schopenhauer
(1788-1860)

Well Pepper, here's hoping that certain things get easier.

Pepper,

I hope things go better for you today.  Know that you have friends here at the coffee shop. :smileyhappy:

You sure brighten OUR days.

At Kathy.  Thank you.  We enjoyed meeting you, too.

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I Think I May Cry

I know I'm not alone in my sorrow over what is about to happen tomorrow, though I'm not sure anyone else here cares all that much :smileyhappy:  But I can't help but feel a loss at whats going to come to an end tomorrow.  All My Children, a show I've watched for as long as I can remember will come to an end, and I don't want it to.  It feels as if my favorite book was about to be burned in front of me.  I even had to take the day off tomorrow so I could stay at home and watch it as it airs, instead of on my DVR like I normally do.

So goodbye AMC, I will miss you.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: I Think I May Cry

[ Edited ]

Ryan_G wrote:

I know I'm not alone in my sorrow over what is about to happen tomorrow, though I'm not sure anyone else here cares all that much :smileyhappy:  But I can't help but feel a loss at whats going to come to an end tomorrow.  All My Children, a show I've watched for as long as I can remember will come to an end, and I don't want it to.  It feels as if my favorite book was about to be burned in front of me.  I even had to take the day off tomorrow so I could stay at home and watch it as it airs, instead of on my DVR like I normally do.

Animated Emoticons  Like sands through the hourglass,  Animated Emoticons  so are

The Days of Our Lives.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Muse

I'm jealous!  Would be delighted one day to meet either of you (or others who post here).

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: I Think I May Cry

Ryan_G wrote:

Wow, another one bites the dust, Ryan. I wonder what jobs line Susan Lucci will be in now

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Muse

I'm jealous!  Would be delighted one day to meet either of you (or others who post here).

I'm jealous too and will make any effort to meet any of my peeps here.

I did have the immense pleasure of having lunch with Elaine last month and would love to meet any other of you if the opportunity ever presents itself.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Thought for the Day

“Autumn is a second spring
when every leaf is a flower.”

Albert Camus
(1913-1960)

Its Fall Glitter comment 

KathyS
0 Kudos

Meeting

Peppermill wrote:

Muse

How 'bout we all meet next year at the Los Angeles Book Fair?  That's about as far as I travel.  :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Meeting

[ Edited ]

You may remember me talking about meeting three great authors last weekend, well I got home last night and this was on my table waiting for me

they're from Julie Compton author of  Rescuing Olivia  

But I loved them none the less.

GEDC0161.JPG
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I've been working hard to fill up the spaces of 2012, you should check out the Running Talley thread to see who's coming and what we're reading for 2012

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fiction-General-Discussion/A-Running-Tally-of-Gen-Fiction-Rea...

KathyS
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

You may remember me talking about meeting three great authors last weekend, well I got home last night and this was on my table waiting for me

they're from Julie Compton author of  Rescuing Olivia  

But I loved them none the less.

What a lovely surprise!  Send them each a note of thanks....snail mail type!  I make books marks, and that would be something fun to put in the note...  Are you into making crafts?

KathyS
0 Kudos

What's coming up for 2012?

[ Edited ]

dhaupt wrote:

I've been working hard to fill up the spaces of 2012, you should check out the Running Talley thread to see who's coming and what we're reading for 2012

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fiction-General-Discussion/A-Running-Tally-of-Gen-Fiction-Rea...

Sorry, this didn't take me to the post for 2012 reads....  Will I find 2012 in this thread with all the same subject headers, or will I have to hunt for it, which I'm not in the mood to do.  :smileyhappy:

KathyS
0 Kudos

Friday's Koffee Klatch Kvetch

Where am I?  What hit me? 

I'm confused and in a daze!

A board of subject non-description!

I'm lost in a maze....

dhaupt
0 Kudos
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Friday's Koffee Klatch Kvetch

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Deb's Coffee Klatch-Off Topic Chat

Why are smiley faces yellow (and other dumb questions)----I had nothing better to do but stumble upon this page...while finding the perfect smiley for you all!

http://mrpooper.hubpages.com/hub/smileyicons