Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Re: Hi Everyone - Before I go away, I have a question and I w...

Peppermill wrote:

At Kathy.  Thank you.  We enjoyed meeting you, too.

Muse

I'm jealous!  Would be delighted one day to meet either of you (or others who post here).

Pepper,

I would give my right pinky to go spend a whole week exploring your neck of the woods with you. :smileyhappy:

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

To all the other posts that I need to catch up on since I'm out running around again this weekend.... 

Deb ---  Love the flowers from Julie... and you already have the invite. Lol

Kathy, yes, we had a lot of fun.  I know, everyone says Fred and I look like The Santas.  But Shhhhhh, don't give us away like that.  It's supposed to be a secret.

To any authors wandering through.... this is a great place for coffee and fun.  But you'll have to get in line to get to be on one of Deb's Book of the month reads.... She picks out the Best Books.  

Now, where's my coffee, Deb?

Muse

Group Hug time! :smileywink:

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS

Saturday Good Morning

[ Edited ]

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said. "One can't believe impossible things."

"I dare say you haven't had much practice," said the queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
-- Lewis Carroll

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

At Kathy.  Thank you.  We enjoyed meeting you, too.

Muse

I'm jealous!  Would be delighted one day to meet either of you (or others who post here).

Pepper,

I would give my right pinky to go spend a whole week exploring your neck of the woods with you. :smileyhappy:

Muse

Give me six months lead time, and that can probably be arranged!

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Re: Saturday Good Morning

OH MY!!!  I walk on to the DC Mall this morning headed for a real "geek" event with my husband, and what to my wandering eye does appear, but a field full of tents, filled with authors and books and books and books and books.  

I stumbled upon the US Congressional Library's National Book Festival.  WOW  what eye candy, and itchy fingers. Lol.  We went to my husbands very interesting Solar Decathalon event and then back to the Book Festival.....what fun.  I think we are going back tomorrow.  My children's favorite children's author is reading one of his stories tomorrow afternoon and I would love to surprise John (our son) with getting to hear Joe Hayes once again.  He's even doing a book signing, courtesy of B&N.  

Oh does my by-line apply today. :smileyvery-happy:

Muse

KathyS
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

OH MY!!!  I walk on to the DC Mall this morning headed for a real "geek" event with my husband, and what to my wandering eye does appear, but a field full of tents, filled with authors and books and books and books and books.  

I stumbled upon the US Congressional Library's National Book Festival.  WOW  what eye candy, and itchy fingers. Lol.  We went to my husbands very interesting Solar Decathalon event and then back to the Book Festival.....what fun.  I think we are going back tomorrow.  My children's favorite children's author is reading one of his stories tomorrow afternoon and I would love to surprise John (our son) with getting to hear Joe Hayes once again.  He's even doing a book signing, courtesy of B&N.  

Muse

Sounds like you're having a great weekend!  Don't spend too much money

now~ :smileyvery-happy:

Peppermill
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Muse

Sounds like you're having a great weekend!  Don't spend too much money

now~ :smileyvery-happy:

But enjoy!  Suspect Nancy (your librarian) will love your stories!

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: DC Book Fair

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Muse

Muse, how fun for you and I hope you get to surprise your son, even the Solar Decathalon sounds interesting. What was that about

Tell us all :smileyhappy:

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Deb's Coffee Klatch-Off Topic Chat

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Deb's Coffee Klatch-Off Topic Chat- Moanday's thought

“The question isn’t who is going to let me;
it’s who is going to stop me.”

Ayn Rand
(1905-1982)

Great quote for a Monday

Here's coffee to go with that

and of course tea for those of you who choose tea

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Deb's Coffee Klatch-Off Topic Chat- Monday's thought

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening...I'm still drinking my coffee...I was up 'till 3 a.m. reading...wrote a letter to Lisa Tucker, after I finished her book...it drained me (her book, and writing to her).  I was between a rock and a hard place yesterday.

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Muse

Muse, how fun for you and I hope you get to surprise your son, even the Solar Decathalon sounds interesting. What was that about

It is Monday  We are home.  Our son is on a plane headed back to the far east --- and the weekend was wonderful.  I thought he would be surprised when I told him about Joe Hayes, but, he wasn't just surprised, he was over joyed!!  After we told him about what we did on Saturday, Sunday was a repeat trip --  that was just fine for me.  

Debbie -  The Solar Decathlon is a competition held annually between Universities and colleges to build "green" homes that are energy self-sufficient, but are also livable and affordable.  The link I provided takes you to the 2011 site.  From the description page I landed you on, you can look at everything from how the competition is doing to pictures of each home.  My two favorites were The Appalaction Home and the China House  The Appalation house I think is called The Tree House.  

The National Book Festival 2011 was really nice.  We didn't get to spend as much time there as I wanted, as I was with the "boys".  We went to the Book store tent both on Saturday and Sunday and both time the Joe Hayes books were totally sold out.  John was really disappointed.  He was sooooo excited about him being there, he was going to buy about 6-8 of his books and stand in the line and get them all signed.  We even walked six blocks from the Mall to the DC B&N to see if there were any copies there and there weren't.  We ended up having his birthday lunch at the Pub across the street from B&N and heading back out to the conference center,  He didn't want to stand in line for a couple of hours to meet Joe Hayes, with no books for him to sign.  OH Well....

BUT, we did find a couple of other wonderful books one a beautfiul art pop-up book by a Japanese artist that creates masterpiece 3-D images of stories.  (Sorry I can't remember the name, as we sent it home with John for them to enjoy.)  We were also able to pick up another Shel Silverstien book - Light in the Attic.

Next year, I think I will PLAN the trip with some of my book friends, so I can enjoy the whole fair.  That would be even more fabulous.  As it was, I enjoyed what I was able to see.  There was so much there to do and so many authors to sit and listen to that the two days would have been a lot of fun.

Muse

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

It is Monday  We are home.  Our son is on a plane headed back to the far east --- and the weekend was wonderful.  I thought he would be surprised when I told him about Joe Hayes, but, he wasn't just surprised, he was over joyed!!  After we told him about what we did on Saturday, Sunday was a repeat trip --  that was just fine for me.  

Debbie -  The Solar Decathlon is a competition held annually between Universities and colleges to build "green" homes that are energy self-sufficient, but are also livable and affordable.  The link I provided takes you to the 2011 site.  From the description page I landed you on, you can look at everything from how the competition is doing to pictures of each home.  My two favorites were The Appalaction Home and the China House  The Appalation house I think is called The Tree House.  

Muse

Wow, that is cool. Thanks for sharing.

Our local Habitat for Humanity finished a project in a usually rotten area of the inner city, a part that's part of a reformation and they made the houses look vintage instead of new so they'd fit in the neighborhood better. I was really impressed scroll down the website to see the models offered

http://www.habitatstl.org/construction/2011builddetails/

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Muse

Wow, that is cool. Thanks for sharing.

Our local Habitat for Humanity finished a project in a usually rotten area of the inner city, a part that's part of a reformation and they made the houses look vintage instead of new so they'd fit in the neighborhood better. I was really impressed scroll down the website to see the models offered

http://www.habitatstl.org/construction/2011builddetails/

Debbie,

It looks like a fabulous project.  There is nothing like watching a family discover their new home, especially the children.  The joy of getting to know them as the weeks and months go by during the building process is such a bonding process, too.  You end up with BFFs.  All of our kids are convenced that Santa personally helped them get their house and that he truely knows just where they live. Lol.  What can I say?  Santa has a koosh job. :smileyvery-happy: , and surprise, it isn't just toys on Christmas morning.

Muse

dhaupt

Re: Tuesday Thought

[ Edited ]

“The teacher who is indeed wise
does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom
but rather leads you
to the threshold of your mind.”

Khalil Gibran- Lebanese American, artist, writer, poet
(1883-1931)

KathyS
0 Kudos

Wednesday Thought

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Re: Wednesday Thought

It is such a beautiful truely fall day here in the mountains today.  The perfect day to sit on the front porch with a cup of hot apple cider and a pumpkin muffin and enjoy the color that is creeping up the mountains across the valley from my house.  Two days ago the trees were green with a touch of yellow here and there.  Today when we went out There was a patchwork of fall colors falling thickly across the face of the mountains.

Mounds of gold and brown leaves lay thick on the roadway that had fallen over the weekend during the rain storms that had swept through the area, so that we felt like a Chevrolet commercial as we drove through the leaf covered roads.  We could see malstroms of leafy tornados in our wake as we drove through the piles.

I think we should have coffee on my deck today.  All are welcome.  Cider and pumpkin muffins fresh out of the oven await.

Didn't Robert Frost write a wonder poem about fall?

Muse 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Wednesday Thought

Kathy, thanks for the Wednesday pic. loved it

Karen here's you pumpkin muffins

Today was CRAZY!!!!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Thursday Thought

Thursday Fabulous Beach picture

Here's today's thought

“The present was an egg laid by the past