that had the future inside its shell.”

Zora Neale Hurston- American folklorist, anthropologist and author
(1891-1960)

Happy Thursday everyone!!!

feeling a bit sea sick!

Kathy,

I told you to stay away from the beach when the surf was up. Lol

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Thursday Thought

Mountain_Muse wrote:

KathyS wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Thursday Fabulous Beach picture

Here's today's thought

“The present was an egg laid by the past

(1891-1960)

feeling a bit sea sick!

Kathy,

Muse

Yes, you were right...I didn't listen, as usual!  But, seriously, as I was looking at this picture Deb posted, it did make me queasy!

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB

Hi Everyone - I"m back from CA - Had a great time with my sister and got a lot of "relaxing with a good book" in !! To bring you all up-to-date on the saga of the ebook that was badly done, I wrote an email to the author and had a reply within 20 minutes ! She greatly apologized and will look into it from her end. I wrote another email to the company that sold me the ebook and enclosed the note that I wrote to the author. 2 days later I received what I feel is a totally unsatisfactory "form" email asking me to list the page numbers and paragraph numbers of the errors. Now that I am home I'm trying to find a telephone number for the bookseller so that I can speak with a person (in the US) about my problem. I refuse to give them the pages and paragraphs because that would be doing the work for them, in correcting the problem. I have a feeling that this is going to turn into a production. But I don't think that will deter me - I'm now on my soapbox about this !!!!! Anyway, it's good to be home and I can't wait to discuss Outlaw !! Happy Reading ...

Anne

KathyS

1AnneB wrote:

Hi Everyone - I"m back from CA - Had a great time with my sister and got a lot of "relaxing with a good book" in !! To bring you all up-to-date on the saga of the ebook that was badly done, I wrote an email to the author and had a reply within 20 minutes ! She greatly apologized and will look into it from her end. I wrote another email to the company that sold me the ebook and enclosed the note that I wrote to the author. 2 days later I received what I feel is a totally unsatisfactory "form" email asking me to list the page numbers and paragraph numbers of the errors. Now that I am home I'm trying to find a telephone number for the bookseller so that I can speak with a person (in the US) about my problem. I refuse to give them the pages and paragraphs because that would be doing the work for them, in correcting the problem. I have a feeling that this is going to turn into a production. But I don't think that will deter me - I'm now on my soapbox about this !!!!! Anyway, it's good to be home and I can't wait to discuss Outlaw !! Happy Reading ...

Anne

Anne, I'm glad you're following through with this...and I agree with you, you shouldn't be the one to "edit" their mistakes for them.  You told the author, which is a good thing to do.  She needs to know how her work is being edited.

Recently, I read Lisa Tuckers latest novel, Winters In Bloom (hardback), and found two editing errors. I call them typos, but they're tense errors. I jotted down the page number, paragraph, and line...then wrote the first few words before the error.  I did this because I felt Lisa needed to know.  I didn't figure there would be many errors in her book, as I've never found any in her past published books.

These kinds of errors are easy for editors to read over, because if words are spelled correctly, they're not seen readily by the eye..... these errors pop out at me.  (I'm a slow reader, plus I've been trained to proof read, as I've worked in graphics and word advertising),

I emailed Lisa about her novel, and mentioned these two "typos"...she thanked me, and pointed out that these corrections will be made when the paper back comes out.  Of course there is nothing that can be done, once the novel is published, but they need to know these errors before future publication.

I don't know what they do with eBooks, you'd think since it's all electronic, it could be corrected at any time by the publishers...but I honestly don't know the answer to this. 

In talking to my writers group, Wed., they said that some manuscripts come before editors who never really read through them....they pass the buck, or leave it up to the writers.  One thing about our group, (8 people this week) we find the errors (everything from misspelled, punctuation, grammar, tenses, redundancies....you name it), and we discuss and clean up each other's work.  Of course, not everything will be agreed upon, and some changes are, and should be, left to the discretion of the writer.  No writer writes a perfect manuscript, and even with a lot of people's help, some errors can still slip by.

Good luck, Anne, with your soap box!

Kathy

also looking forward to Outlaw!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

Anne

Anne I'm so glad you had a grand time w/sis. I'm glad that the author was glad you emailed her. I also don't think that you should do the work for the bookseller, but really it's not the bookseller's fault, that would be like saying B&N is responsible for mistakes printed in books they carry on their shelves, they bought it with blind faith too, but they should give you your money bacck with out balking too. I think you should also write to whoever is responsible for e-pubbing it, unless you're relying on the author for that.

Glad you're back I think October is gonna rock w/Robin Hood :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Mountain_Muse wrote:

KathyS wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Here's today's thought

(1891-1960)

feeling a bit sea sick!

Kathy,

Muse

Yes, you were right...I didn't listen, as usual!  But, seriously, as I was looking at this picture Deb posted, it did make me queasy!

Wow Kathy, sorry, maybe there's something subliminal in it

KathyS
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Mountain_Muse wrote:

KathyS wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Here's today's thought

(1891-1960)

feeling a bit sea sick!

Kathy,

Muse

Wow Kathy, sorry, maybe there's something subliminal in it

Nothing subliminal, it's watching the motion of the clouds and the ocean, and the sunlight, all moving in and out and around....at once!  It's an eye/brain thing....like watching things go up and down....and around and around....hick!  Burp!  I think I'd better stop talking it about it too!!  NOW it's subliminal!

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Happy National Coffee Day!

Just thought I would say

Happy National Coffee Day and stop by for a good cuppa Joe

Muse

coffee

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Peppermill

Re: Wednesday Thought

Mountain_Muse wrote:

It is such a beautiful truely fall day here in the mountains today.  The perfect day to sit on the front porch with a cup of hot apple cider and a pumpkin muffin and enjoy the color that is creeping up the mountains across the valley from my house.  Two days ago the trees were green with a touch of yellow here and there.  Today when we went out There was a patchwork of fall colors falling thickly across the face of the mountains.

Mounds of gold and brown leaves lay thick on the roadway that had fallen over the weekend during the rain storms that had swept through the area, so that we felt like a Chevrolet commercial as we drove through the leaf covered roads.  We could see malstroms of leafy tornados in our wake as we drove through the piles.

I think we should have coffee on my deck today.  All are welcome.  Cider and pumpkin muffins fresh out of the oven await.

Didn't Robert Frost write a wonder poem about fall?

Muse 

Here's a favorite poem of mine about fall -- a very simple one from grade school days that I probably once memorized in toto: 

"October Gave a Party"

by George Cooper

October gave a party;

The leaves by hundreds came.

The Chestnuts, Oaks and Maples,

And leaves of every name.

The Sunshine spread a carpet,

And everything was grand,

Miss Weather led the dancing,

Professor Wind the band.

The Chestnuts came in yellow,

The Oaks in crimson dressed;

The lovely Misses maple

In scarlet looked their best.

All balanced to their partners,

And gaily fluttered by;

The sight was like a rainbow

New fallen from the sky.

http://bleulune.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/10/october-gave-a-party.html

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt

Re: Friday Thought

Here's our Friday Thought and attached I put a picture of Kathy's seasickness remedy

Thought for the Day

“As a rule, men worry more
about what they can’t see
than about what they can.”

Julius Caesar
(100 BC-44 BC)

320192_2462470327781_1432898371_32788786_699930774_n.jpg
KathyS
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Here's our Friday Thought and attached I put a picture of Kathy's seasickness remedy

320192_2462470327781_1432898371_32788786_699930774_n.jpg

Thought for the Day

“As a rule, men worry more
about what they can’t see
than about what they can.”

Julius Caesar
(100 BC-44 BC)

I feel better already!  Thanks, Deb!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I heard from Andreea today, she misses us too and hopes to be back toward the end of the year, she's very busy with her new job and school.

just an FYI to you all

KathyS
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

I heard from Andreea today, she misses us too and hopes to be back toward the end of the year, she's very busy with her new job and school.

just an FYI to you all

thanks, Deb.  Wish her well for me?

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Pepper wrote: Here's a favorite poem of mine about fall -- a very simple one from grade school days that I probably once memorized in toto: "October Gave a Party" by George Cooper October gave a party; The leaves by hundreds came. The Chestnuts, Oaks and Maples, And leaves of every name. The Sunshine spread a carpet, And everything was grand, Miss Weather led the dancing, Professor Wind the band. The Chestnuts came in yellow, The Oaks in crimson dressed; The lovely Misses maple In scarlet looked their best. All balanced to their partners, And gaily fluttered by; The sight was like a rainbow New fallen from the sky. Pepper, I love, love, love it. I wanted to dance out on the lawn with the trees and falling leaves, myself. Thank you so very much for sharing. You have added such a ray of sunshine to my cloudy day, today. Muse
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Re: Friday Thought 6 hours ago I heard from Andreea today, she misses us too and hopes to be back toward the end of the year, she's very busy with her new job and school. just an FYI to you all Debbie, http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/ http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1603698728 Deb, I am so glad to hear Andrea is doing well. We all miss her. Hope to "see" her soon. BUT boy do we understand work and school. :-)
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:
Pepper wrote: Here's a favorite poem of mine about fall -- a very simple one from grade school days that I probably once memorized in toto:
"October Gave a Party" by George Cooper
October gave a party;The leaves by hundreds came.The Chestnuts, Oaks and Maples,And leaves of every name. The Sunshine spread a carpet, And everything was grand, Miss Weather led the dancing, Professor Wind the band. The Chestnuts came in yellow, The Oaks in crimson dressed; The lovely Misses maple In scarlet looked their best. All balanced to their partners, And gaily fluttered by; The sight was like a rainbow New fallen from the sky.
Pepper, I love, love, love it. I wanted to dance out on the lawn with the trees and falling leaves, myself. Thank you so very much for sharing. You have added such a ray of sunshine to my cloudy day, today. Muse

As you can see, I was having gremlin problems on the board last night.  But things are working again.

Muse

KathyS
0 Kudos

Deb's Coffee Klatch-Sunday

“Sunday is the golden clasp that binds together the volume of the week” Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Deb's Coffee Klatch-Sunday

[ Edited ]

KathyS wrote:

“Sunday is the golden clasp that binds together the volume of the week” Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Love it, Kathy.  In the meantime, share the evening's music with us:

Bartok's Violin Concerto No. 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYB591f4bBk  (1st of 5 parts)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violin_Concerto_No._2_%28Bart%C3%B3k%29

About the concerto

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBQaZ47A0D4&feature=related -- premiere(?) w/Szekely as violinist -- written for him by Bartok)

Schumann Symphony No. 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-wTr-hn0iM (You are on your own in patching the sequence of these together!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._4_%28Schumann%29

About the symphony

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
KathyS
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

KathyS wrote:

About the concerto

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBQaZ47A0D4&feature=related -- premiere(?) w/Szekely as violinist -- written for him by Bartok)

Schumann Symphony No. 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-wTr-hn0iM (You are on your own in patching the sequence of these together!)

About the symphony

Sorry, Pepper, not my evening music of choice.  I'd be up all night if I listened to this!  My mind goes in too many direction as it is, without being bombarded with dissonant chords!  I usually don't listen to much music at night....

I do love violin, especially Itzhak Perlman , but my instrument of choice is piano.  I happened upon this.....

http://pianobrothers.com/

The O'Neill Brothers CDsinclude a wide variety of popular themes:

Wedding Songs | Christmas Piano Music | Sheet Music | MP3 Downloads | Lullabies | Irish/Celtic/Notre Dame Favorites
| Love Songs | Broadway Show Tunes | Classic Movie Themes | Spiritual/Inspirational Music

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

KathyS wrote:

About the concerto

Schumann Symphony No. 4

About the symphony

Sorry, Pepper, not my evening music of choice.  I'd be up all night if I listened to this!  My mind goes in too many direction as it is, without being bombarded with dissonant chords!  I usually don't listen to much music at night....

I do love violin, especially Itzhak Perlman , but my instrument of choice is piano.  I happened upon this.....

http://pianobrothers.com/

The O'Neill Brothers CDsinclude a wide variety of popular themes:

Wedding Songs | Christmas Piano Music | Sheet Music | MP3 Downloads | Lullabies | Irish/Celtic/Notre Dame Favorites
| Love Songs | Broadway Show Tunes | Classic Movie Themes | Spiritual/Inspirational Music

Kathy and Pepper,

The musical choices of both are wonderful.  I love orchestral music and love piano music.  I especially love Piano Concertos.  Several years ago I had the opportunity to help a friend of mine prepare for a concert tour that she was going on that would culminate at Carnegie Hall where she would be playing a Piano Concerto.  I am sorry, but cannot remember which one.  My job was to sit with the score and listern to her "play" with the "practice track" and notate errors as she went through the music. Heaven awwwwwww.  

Thank  you for posting the links.  I will enjoy playing them to my Sunday morning/Saturday evening coffee.

Muse