Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Deb's Coffee Klatch-Sunday

Mountain_Muse wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

KathyS wrote:

“Sunday is the golden clasp that binds together the volume of the week” Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Love it, Kathy.  In the meantime, share the evening's music with us:

Bartok's Violin Concerto No. 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYB591f4bBk  (1st of 5 parts)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violin_Concerto_No._2_%28Bart%C3%B3k%29

About the concerto

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBQaZ47A0D4&feature=related -- premiere(?) w/Szekely as violinist -- written for him by Bartok)

Schumann Symphony No. 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-wTr-hn0iM (You are on your own in patching the sequence of these together!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._4_%28Schumann%29

About the symphony

Sorry, Pepper, not my evening music of choice.  I'd be up all night if I listened to this!  My mind goes in too many direction as it is, without being bombarded with dissonant chords!  I usually don't listen to much music at night....

I do love violin, especially Itzhak Perlman , but my instrument of choice is piano.  I happened upon this.....

http://pianobrothers.com/

The O'Neill Brothers CDsinclude a wide variety of popular themes:

Wedding Songs | Christmas Piano Music | Sheet Music | MP3 Downloads | Lullabies | Irish/Celtic/Notre Dame Favorites
| Love Songs | Broadway Show Tunes | Classic Movie Themes | Spiritual/Inspirational Music

Kathy and Pepper,

The musical choices of both are wonderful.  I love orchestral music and love piano music.  I especially love Piano Concertos.  Several years ago I had the opportunity to help a friend of mine prepare for a concert tour that she was going on that would culminate at Carnegie Hall where she would be playing a Piano Concerto.  I am sorry, but cannot remember which one.  My job was to sit with the score and listern to her "play" with the "practice track" and notate errors as she went through the music. Heaven awwwwwww.  

Thank  you for posting the links.  I will enjoy playing them to my Sunday morning/Saturday evening coffee.

Muse

Here is my all time favorite.  This is heaven for me.  :smileyhappy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8l37utZxMQ

"Rachmaninoff himself playing the first movement (Moderato) from his second piano concerto. It was recorded in 1929 by RCA victor with Rachmaninoff's favorite orchestra; the Philadelphia Orchestra. Leopold Stokowski is conducting"

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Others had difficulty with the Bartok, too.  Some of us loved it.

What a challenge for a violinist!  Ours did well.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Good Sunday morning to you all, I was also mauled by gremlins yesterday, couldn't post at all, this am I can't quote or edit my posts but at least I can stop in and say Hi and hope for better luck tomorrow. :smileyhappy:
KathyS
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:
Good Sunday morning to you all, I was also mauled by gremlins yesterday, couldn't post at all, this am I can't quote or edit my posts but at least I can stop in and say Hi and hope for better luck tomorrow. :smileyhappy:

Good morning, Deb, sorry you're having computer problems this weekend.  Hopefully you'll get back up to speed tomorrow.  I'm not having any computer problems, just brain functioning problems...I seemed to have skipped over Saturday....I lost it somehow, and posted a Sunday Good Morning yesterday, instead...oh well...did anyone notice my error?  Ha!

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

I won't tell if you don't.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Thanks Kathy for the Rackmaninoff clip, I'm listening to it again as I write this - it's one of my favorites also. Just finished a book and am re-reading Chapter 1-7 of Outlaw, for tomorrow's discussion. I'm really looking forward to it and to the next of his books, as well. Hope everyone has a good weekend...

Anne

KathyS
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:
I won't tell if you don't.

Ha!  Too late!  But thanks!

Peppermill
0 Kudos

.I seemed to have skipped over Saturday....I lost it somehow, and posted a Sunday Good Morning yesterday, instead...oh well...did anyone notice my error?  Ha!

Kathy -- well, there was a reason I wrote ",,,In the meantime, share the evening's music...." -- like until that Sunday morning rolls around!But as GS2991 suggests, why tell?

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
KathyS
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

.I seemed to have skipped over Saturday....I lost it somehow, and posted a Sunday Good Morning yesterday, instead...oh well...did anyone notice my error?  Ha!

Kathy -- well, there was a reason I wrote ",,,In the meantime, share the evening's music...." -- like until that Sunday morning rolls around!But as GS2991 suggests, why tell?

Duh, that flew right over me!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Deb's Coffee Klatch-Monday Thought

Well the weekend is history and it's a new slate for us all.

Here's the thought for the day

“The young man knows the rules,
but the old man knows the exceptions.”

Oliver Wendell Holmes
(1809-1894)

And a cuppa for Ryan and all the tea drinkers here :smileyhappy:

And can't forget the biscuits

Happy Monday everyone!!!

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Thank you Deb.  A hot cup of coffee will go great with my scones as I sit and watch the rain outside on this cold rainy autumn day.  The ski basin 40 miles up the road supposedly got 4 to 5 inches of snow over the weekend.  How on earth did we go from summer to winter?  I think we skipped autumn this year. tears   Time to go dig out the winter coats. Lol

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Interesting thought. Does the old man know the new rules as well as ze old? Or am I thinking to much? Good coffee hee hee:smileywink:
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

KathyS
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:
Interesting thought. Does the old man know the new rules as well as ze old? Or am I thinking to much? Good coffee hee hee:smileywink:

“The young man knows the rules,
but the old man knows the exceptions.”

Oliver Wendell Holmes
(1809-1894)

The man/anyone knows the rules, but once you become old/knowledgeable of their meaning, you can create the exceptions/new rules.

The same with art....once you know how to draw the line, you can now break that line.

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Thank you Deb.  A hot cup of coffee will go great with my scones as I sit and watch the rain outside on this cold rainy autumn day.  The ski basin 40 miles up the road supposedly got 4 to 5 inches of snow over the weekend.  How on earth did we go from summer to winter?  I think we skipped autumn this year. tears   Time to go dig out the winter coats. Lol

Muse

Good Morning Everyone - Good Quote Debbie. Muse, I was thinking of you when I heard the National weather this morning and they mentioned snow in the higher elevations of W.VA & VA. Time to dig out the long johns too!!!

Anne

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

I watch the bugs the growth of plants and how early/late the cridders begin their mad food stash. All to get an idea of the comming winter I don't normaly share but ah why not? Heres my winter forcast. Early cold with a coulple of 3in snows then it getts really cold maybe a record and about Dec. some deeper snows for a white Christmas. And after that lots of wet snows to slush and Sping begins aboutmid March. No expert but just somthing I do for fun. Last whinter I got close.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Everyone must take time to sit and watch the leaves turn.  ~Elizabeth Lawrence

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Deb's Coffee Klatch-Florida bound

This is my car after the first snow :smileyhappy:

and here's where it will be heading

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Re: Deb's Coffee Klatch-Florida bound

Burrrrrrr. Falls my favorite time of year. But the snow is fun to run donuts in with a go-cart. Hahaha. It worth the half frostbit toes and hands. Well almost. Its hard to walk on numb feet.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Deb's Coffee Klatch-cold weather is a commin

Cold???  What's that?  Ha!  This is what a California girl does, when transported to the snow country!

When I lived where there was snow, I never got cold.  I worked outside in it, teaching PE.... but I made darn  sure I had GOOD weather-proof shoes/boots..first thing I bought when I moved to Utah!  I had a pair for trudging in the snow, clearing my driveway, etc....and I had a nice pair that were guaranteed by the Serpas, living in the high elevations of the Andes, to keep my feet warm....and they were skid proof, too!  Ha!

I wore wool socks!....My fuzzy warm hat was laughed at by the kids at the school where I worked, the flaps came down over my ears....and I had gloves to match, red and black....with a silk lining glove for an extra measure of warmth.   Yes, I was a sight they'd never seen before!  You could say I became a target at times!   We'd have snowball teams, organized fights......and guess who got it the most!  KILL THE TEACHER, KILL THE TEACHER!

There were days when it got into the 20's....and I was prepared, although when it got this cold, I had to bring the kids inside if they didn't have proper clothing on, or go find them a coat in the lost and found. No, I was never cold...hot, sometimes, ....well, maybe just my nose got a tad cold, but that was it. 

When the sun was shining brightly, half the kids were playing so hard, they'd take their coats and sweaters off, and I'd find clothes all over the playground!  When I first started working at the school, we had a giant lost and found...more clothes than places to hang them...After seeing that, once a week I took the kids on a 'lost and found' hunt..... I made sure these kids got their clothes home on a regular basis.  The sad part is, some of these kids never did have the proper clothes to wear.

I loved Christmas in Utah, but I'll save those stories for next time :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991

Re: Deb's Coffee Klatch-cold weather is a commin

Heh heh sounds fun. Some really mean stuff we do in winter is duck tape somebodys boots or take the snow clinging to my clothes and make tiny snow balls for a very cold surprise in the house hahaha.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.