Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: A Valentine Thought for the Day

Happy V-Day everyone!!!

The Valentine

“The rose is red, the violet’s blue,
The honey’s sweet and so are you.
Thou art my love and I am thine;
I drew thee to my valentine.
The lot was cast and then I drew,
And fortune said it should be you.”

~ Joseph Ritson
(1752-1803)

Joseph Ritson (2 October 1752 – 23 September 1803) was an English antiquary. He was born at Stockton-on-Tees, of a Westmorland yeoman family. He was educated for the law, and settled in London as a conveyancer at the age of twenty-two…source

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Thought for the Day

Here's our Friday thought

“A good teacher protects his pupils
from his own influence.”

~ Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee (November 27, 1940 - July 20, 1973) was a Hong Kong actor, martial arts instructor, philosopher, film director, film producer, screenwriter, founder of Jeet Kune Do, and the son of Cantonese opera actor Lee Hoi-Chuen. He is widely considered by many commentators, critics, media and other martial artists to be the greatest and most influential martial artist of all time, and a pop culture icon of the 20th century. He is often credited with changing the way Asians were presented in American films…Source 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

It's Saturday, the sun is shining, it's still cold but the sun is a nice surprise :smileyhappy:

here's our Saturday thought

great thought and very appropriate for a book related forum.

“I am the author of my life.
Unfortunately I’m writing in pen
and I can’t erase my mistakes.”

~ Author Unknown

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I hope you all had a great weekend

here's our Monday thought

“If freedom of speech is taken away,
then dumb and silent we may be led,
like sheep to the slaughter.”

~ George Washington

George Washington (February 22, 1732 - December 14, 1799( (aged 67) was one of the Founding Fathers of the United States, serving as the commander-in-chief of the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. He also presided over the convention that drafted the Constitution, which replaced the Articles of Confederation. The Constitution established the position of President of the republic, which Washington was the first to hold…Source

dhaupt
0 Kudos

My fellow moderator Melanie from the Romance forum just bought a house

if you'd like to say congrats here's the link

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Romantic-Reads/New-Jersey/m-p/1437043#U1437043

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Happy Tuesday

here's our thought for the day

“In theory,
there is no difference between
theory and practice.

But in practice, there is.”

~ Yogi Berra

Lawrence Peter “Yogi” Berra (born May 12, 1925) is a former American Major League Baseball catcher, outfielder, and manager. He played almost his entire 19-year baseball career (1946–1965) for the New York Yankees. Berra is one of only four players to be named the Most Valuable Player of the American League three times and is one of seven managers to lead both American and National League teams to the World Series. As a player, coach, or manager, Berra appeared in 21 World Series. He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1972…source

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Happy hump day peeps

it looks like my area will be expecting a good chance of a winter storm starting tomorrow late morning with snow, sleet and freezing rain. So I'll be chatting with you from home for the next day or two.

unfortunately my bosses don't think taking off for weather is excuse enough so I'll be playing sick :smileyfrustrated:

here's our Wednesday thought

“Without agitators
nothing in the world would come clean.”

~ The Fun Farm

dhaupt
0 Kudos

It's Saturday, the sun is shining and just when I thought I'd be spared from "winter" it looks like it's making a call on the Midwest with a vengeance.

First Q hit us and now there's another storm taking the very same path.Ugh :smileysad:

bring on Spring

here's our Saturday thought

“Do something today that
your future self will thank you for.”

~ Author Unknown

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Back at work and it's Monday :smileysad:

here's our Monday thought

“You can have anything in this world you want,
if you want it badly enough
and you’re willing to pay the price.”

- Mary Kay Ash

Mary Kay Ash (May 12, 1918 – November 22, 2001) was an American businesswoman and founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics, Inc…source

dhaupt
0 Kudos

It's Tuesday and some of you are getting a lot of snow, It missed us this time whew

here's our thought

“There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
all leading to the same place,
so it doesn’t matter which path you take.
The only person wasting time
is the one who runs around the mountain,

telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.”

~ Hindu Proverb

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Here's our Wednesday thought for the day

“We must be willing to let go
of the life we planned
in order to have the life
that is waiting for us.”

~ Joseph Campbell

Joseph John Campbell (March 26, 1904 – October 30, 1987) was an American mythologist, writer and lecturer, best known for his work in comparative mythology and comparative religion. His work is vast, covering many aspects of the human experience. His philosophy is often summarized by his phrase: “Follow your bliss.” source 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Well it's the last day of February, Hard to believe I know

here's our Thursday thought

“There are only two days in the year
that nothing can be done.
One is called yesterday and
the other is called tomorrow,
so today is the right day to love,
believe, do and mostly live.” 

~ The Dalai Lama

The Dalai Lama is the leader of the Gelug or “Yellow Hat” branch of Tibetan Buddhism. The name is a combination of the Mongolian word dalai meaning “Ocean” and the Tibetan word bla-ma (with a silent “b”) meaning “teacher”…Source 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Ah March is coming in like a lion- well maybe a cub :smileyhappy:

maps.jpeg

here's our March first thought for the day

“We must be willing to fail
and to appreciate the truth that often Life
is not a problem to be solved,
but a mystery to be lived.”

~ Scott Peck

Morgan Scott Peck (23 May 1936 – 25 September 2005) was an American psychiatrist and best-selling author, best known for his first book, The Road Less Traveled, published in 1978…source

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Here's our Saturday thought of the day

“Everything is changing.
People are taking their comedians seriously
and the politicians as a joke.”

Will Rogers

[File:Rogers-Will-LOC.jpg From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]William Penn Adair (Will Rogers) ( November 4, 1879 - August 15, 1935) (aged 55) An American cowboy, comedian, humorist, social commentator, vaudeville performer and actor and one of the best-known celebrities in the 1920s and 1930s. Known as Oklahoma’s favorite son…Source

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Have a pleasant Sunday everyone!

here's our Sunday thought

“The first to apologize is the bravest,
the first to forgive is the strongest,
and the first to forget is the happiest.”

~ Author Unknown

dhaupt
0 Kudos

It's Monday, it's also the first day of our March feature discussion. I so hope you'll all be there for 

Overseas  

here's our thought for the day

“I am not bound to win but I am bound to be true.
I am not bound to succeed,
but I am bound to live by the light that I have.

I must stand with anybody that stands right,
and stand with him while he is right,
and part with him when he goes wrong.

~ Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 - April 15, 1865) (aged 56) was the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. He successfully led his country through its greatest internal crisis, the American Civil War, preserving the Union and ending slavery…Source 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Here's our thought for the day today

“Everything will be okay in the end.
If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.”

~ Author Unknown

I invite you all to check my blog for more thoughts and some interesting info :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

“The higher a monkey climbs,
the more you see of his behind.”

~ General Joe Stillwell

Gen-Joe-Stilwell.jpg

General Joseph Warren Stilwell (March 19, 1883 – October 12, 1946) was a United States Army four-star General known for service in the China Burma India Theater. His caustic personality was reflected in the nickname “Vinegar Joe”. Although distrustful of his allies Stilwell showed himself to be a capable and daring tactician in the field but a lack of resources meant he was continually forced to improvise.

Source

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Thought for the day

“Failure is the foundation of success,
and the means by which it is achieved.”

~ Lao Tzu

Lao Tzu Laozi (Chinese: also Lao Tse, Lao Tu, Lao-Tzu, Lao-Tsu, Laotze, Lao Zi, Laocius, and other variations) was a philosopher of ancient China, and is a central figure in Taoism (also spelled “Daoism”). Laozi literally means “old master”, and is generally considered honorific. Laozi is revered as a deity in most religious forms of Taoism…Source

Happy Monday all!!!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Thought for the Day-RIP Annette Funicello

[ Edited ]

Today's thought is brought to us by someone we lost yesterday

RIP to my favorite Mouseketeer

annette-funicello-Life.jpg

“Life doesn’t have to be perfect to be wonderful.”

~ Annette Funicello

Annette Joanne Funicello (October 22, 1942 – April 8, 2013) was an American actress and singer. Beginning her professional career as a child performer at the age of twelve, Funicello rose to prominence as one of the most popular “Mouseketeers” on the original Mickey Mouse Club. As a teenager, she transitioned to a successful career as a singer with the pop singles “O Dio Mio,” “Tall Paul” and “Pineapple Princess”, as well as establishing herself as a film actress, popularizing the successful “Beach Party” genre alongside co-star Frankie Avalon during the mid-1960s.

*Source