Wordsmith
Zack_Kullis
0 Kudos

Favorite lines or character quotes..

There is nothing quite as frustrating as reading a tired line, comeback, or a used-and-abused quip.  At the same time, it is refreshing and fun to read a new, thoughtful, inspiring, funny, or witty statement in a book that leaves you thinking "I can't wait to use that!!"

It would be fun and interesting to see some of these, whether it be one of the quips that can be found in any action movie, or one of the new lines that deserves some attention.

Of course the author should be given credit for the good stuff.

I recently read a Louis L'Amour book called "The Walking Drum".  The protagonist, Marthurin Kerbouchard, who is a warrior, scholar, and trained Druid, gives some gloomy but insightful advice to a friend who asks him if he can see the future.  Kerbouchard's reply, after having asked who would want to see the future, is this:

"Our lives hold a veil between anticipation and horror.  Anticipation is the carrot suspended before the jackass to keep him moving forward.  Horror is what he would see if he took his eyes off the carrot."

I really liked this statement and view.  What are some others??

Sic volvere Parcas...
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite lines or character quotes..

Atticus Finch - Do you really think so?  - when he wanted a person to see a different perspective

From To Kill a Mockingbird  

Stephanie