Frequent Contributor
Blue-Wolf
0 Kudos

Fire And Ice (Robert Frost)

Fire And Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,

Some say ice.

From what I've tasted of desire,

I hold with those who favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction, ice,

Is also great,

And would suffice.

I LUV Robert Frost. But I could never really understand exactly what "fire and ice", were actually meant to be. In my opinion, it's either justice and evil, or damnation by either fire or ice. What do you guys think?

The hunter's motivation is fueled by his victims cries.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Fire And Ice (Robert Frost)

Blue-Wolf wrote:

Fire And Ice

Some say ice.

Is also great,

And would suffice.

I LUV Robert Frost. But I could never really understand exactly what "fire and ice", were actually meant to be. In my opinion, it's either justice and evil, or damnation by either fire or ice. What do you guys think?

Well, I'm not usually taking Frost's Poems apart, or anyone else's, but I'll see what I can see... It's a relatively light poem, and I don't see anything at all like justice and evil, or damnation, entering into in this thought.

He first mulls over the fact that "some" people say...how the world will end - Fire and Ice.  That's the choices given. 

First he decides what fire means to him...he's tasted "desire", which translates into fire for him.  You can say that desire is passion.  Fire in the belly can equal that.  Desire can take on many forms.  It can become destructive if not handled properly.  He talks about perishing twice, so obviously, to me, he's decided that his passions can drive him to destruction, or distraction.

He chooses ice, the second choice.  Hate for these passions of his, to squelch, or douse, the fires that burn inside.  And would "suffice".  I think Frost adapted this metaphor to match his personal feelings about himself, and how he would deal with his personal struggles.  Fire and Ice would seemingly represent a love hate relationship.

Anyway, that's just my eyes seeing this....anyone is welcome to disagree, or agree...

Have fun!

Kathy

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

This is one of Frost's most famous epigrams.  Neither fire nor ice are very "nice" when we're talking about the end of the world, eh?

Fact of it is, the end of the world isn't very nice to think on.  Does it make a difference whether, in the end, we're surrounded by fire, or by ice? 

And the poem actually reads: If it had to perish twice - meaning, the world.

Blue-Wolf wrote:

Fire And Ice

Some say ice.

Is also great,

And would suffice.

Stephanie
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

This is one of Frost's most famous epigrams.  Neither fire nor ice are very "nice" when we're talking about the end of the world, eh?

Fact of it is, the end of the world isn't very nice to think on.  Does it make a difference whether, in the end, we're surrounded by fire, or by ice? 

Blue-Wolf wrote:

Fire And Ice

Some say ice.

Is also great,

And would suffice.

Probably a bit of play, too, on man's various conceptions of "hell" through the ages. Dante, of course, made the very deepest ring icy cold, not burning fire.

In science, absolute zero is a temperature where molecular motion is minimal, but near which strange properties like superconductivity appear.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

In most of Frost’s poetry, he weighs opposing arguments… his poems don't have single-minded line of thought. He weighs fire against ice… he asks which is greater in it’s destructiveness. He's weighing two very different elements of destruction. My reading is that ice is the worst of the two elements because, unlike fire (human desire) which sustains or consumes what it touches, ice (human hatred) makes things inanimate and is permanent. That’s why Dante put ice at the center of hell. Hate is the ultimate destroyer of human feeling. It’s almost as if he’s saying that love and desire (fire) run their course, but hatred (ice) is permanent.
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
KathyS
0 Kudos

Stephanie, I just looked it up...you're right, the poem does read "it"...that changes things a tad. 

I'd never read it before now.  Maybe less personal than "I" ...but still, if the world ends, Frost goes bye-bye, whether he likes it or not..."suffice" = resignation.  He shrugs it off.  I don't think he looks at it as either "nice", or otherwise.  Sounds like a minor irritation he thinks about.

You relate to these words as cold facts, I relate to these words as warm emotions.

And what doesn't come to an end?  It's how you get there.

Hot or cold, his desires win over hate.

:smileytongue:

Stephanie wrote:

Blue-Wolf wrote:

Fire And Ice

Some say ice.

Is also great,

And would suffice.

B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
0 Kudos

Robert Frost is one of my favorite poets.  I take the two contrasts to be good and evil.  Ice being symbolic of the kingdom of "glass" mentioned in the book of Revelations is the way I take it.   

With purpose and on purpose