Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
redmason
0 Kudos

Frankenstein Mary Shelley

In class we are not supposed to bring up religion in our discussions on this particular book because some topics could be deamed 'offensive' how am I supposed to get my questions answered then?

I have decided this board was the answer.

during my reading of this book my christian beliefs, my morals and ethical behavior have been called into internal question. My cousin and Don and myself have evn discussed this.

Before reading this book I had watched a newscast on cloning a while back. Hitler and his madness was brought up. If you were to clone hitler and raise him as a Jew/German but in our times now in America, where diversity is key would he be the same person? I don't believe he would. My cousin Don said if it weren't him in his time, someone else would have been in his place. This I most definately believe. Afterall when hitler was forced from power in Germany Stalin rose to power in Russia.

Back to the cloning, in my belief everything has the destined soul for it's vessel, but the god I believe in would not give a soul to a man-made creature such as a clone. Souls are one of a kind meant for those constructed by the "maker". 'Victor Frankenstein' does construction of his own. He brings a man, a creature in all sense of the word, to life. Yes, I understand this is only a book, but what is it that keeps the creature alive, his drive, his desires, without a soul what moves in him to move? Cloning is the same idea, a man made creature moving with personal desire and wants depending on how he takes to others. My cousin Don says that if not a soul within these beings, then what, a demon?

I'm torn, I do not believe cloning is ethical, i'm against it, but an odd desire to know how it is that these creatures can birth a life after death tortures me. Weren't these afflictions the same that seemed to drive Victor in his quest of knowing the ins and outs of life?

If the clone were to grow within society with people like us, the unique and soul bearing, to unknowly grow attached to have feelings for this being, the one who could very well incase a demon, is that like having feelings for the antichrist. To love a demon is to love the davil? Would God harbor harsh feelings towards his children because of feeling for a demon out of ignorance, even if the said demon isn't demonic, or if this demon leads a pure life, walking with insurpassable morals would he still be condemned to burn in the pits while murderers who 'find god' when it's convenient on their death bed are welcomed with open arms?

show me the way.
"Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality..." - Death, Emily Dickenson
New User
judemm
0 Kudos

Re: Frankenstein Mary Shelley

I consider myself to be a reasonably devote Christian.
That said, when one examines just how the cloning process of today occurs, it appears to fall in the same line as invitro fertilization.
If you consider that someone born this way does not have a soul, then I would say your belief system indicates that a cloned individual has no soul.
I do not believe this. I believe the soul exists in all things, including trees and shrubbery. Though each of these things has a soul per se, it does not have a free will. We have a free will as human beings, and we must excercise it. It seems illogical that God would condemn someone who is born from cloning.
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is an entirely seperate matter, as I see it. The Creature is a creation of the mind. No such creature exists at this juncture in time, and whether or not such a creature can have a soul is not something that we need to concern ourselves with as that would be between God and this said creature.
Would God mind if one were to love and care for such a creature? The Bible clearly states that God wishes for us to love and care for all of creation and to love thy enemy as well. In so doing, God's message appears to be that we need to love and care for all life no matter how it originated.
Just Jude stepping to her own little beat, wanna join me?