Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

Graphic Novel reviews

I was thinking maybe graphic novels might be better on its own thread then with the novel reviews so i starting this thread with another marvel comic review.

I know i usually put up the title picture but the add product button just acted funny for me sorry. The graphic novel which i checked out of my library is called What If Civil War. Now if you're not familiar with what if as the term suggests they ask a question and show the answer to it in an alternative storyline to what actually happened. In the civil war era of Marvel, Iron Man aka Tony Stark plays a pivotal role in the war of bringing it to a peaceful conclusion but the what if is what if Tony was dead how would the war unfold and it's not a pretty sight. Now for those who are not familar with civil war the government decided to force heroes to register themselves, and some heroes agreed to it while others didn't pinning heroes vs other heroes. The action fights are incredible but with the dark story i wouldn't recommend this for a younger reader but all in all i enjoyed the book.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
dhaupt

Re: Graphic Novel reviews

shadowcat80 wrote:

I was thinking maybe graphic novels might be better on its own thread then with the novel reviews so i starting this thread with another marvel comic review.

I know i usually put up the title picture but the add product button just acted funny for me sorry. The graphic novel which i checked out of my library is called What If Civil War. Now if you're not familiar with what if as the term suggests they ask a question and show the answer to it in an alternative storyline to what actually happened. In the civil war era of Marvel, Iron Man aka Tony Stark plays a pivotal role in the war of bringing it to a peaceful conclusion but the what if is what if Tony was dead how would the war unfold and it's not a pretty sight. Now for those who are not familar with civil war the government decided to force heroes to register themselves, and some heroes agreed to it while others didn't pinning heroes vs other heroes. The action fights are incredible but with the dark story i wouldn't recommend this for a younger reader but all in all i enjoyed the book.

What If?  

I think this is it Stephanie

thanks for the review

shadowcat80

The Ultimates volume 1 review

Ultimates, Volume 1  

The Ultimates is a relaunching and a new look to the Avengers. The biggest difference is the Avengers usually answer to no one but themselves while this version they are a division of Shield and answer to Nick Fury which tells me the new movie though not seen it yet i can tell by trailers it's based on this version of the team. In volume 1 Shield finds Captain America frozen in an iceberg. He has been frozen since world war two. Now the aliens that sided with the nazis are back and Nick Fury been told to make a team his team is Captain America, Ironman, Giantman, the Black Widow, Wasp, Thor, and the Hulk. The group doesn't get along at first but they pull together to save the world from an alien invasion.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
shadowcat80

The Road to Civil War review

Civil War  

Hindsight is 20/20 but i now wished i had reviewed this civil war one first. This is the prequel to the civil war era and it charts the paths of Ironman, Captain America, the Fantastic Four, the Xmen and everyone's friendly neighborhood Spiderman. The action sequences are great and the tension in dialogue is intriguing. I got this one from the library like the what if but as you see from the picture it's available on nook color and tablets. Hope you enjoyed this review.
shadowcat80

Green Arrow Quiver review

Green Arrow  

What a DC comic review? I know I've only done marvel so far on the board there's two reasons for it one is DC has an exclusive contract with kindle and second i like marvel comics but, I'm a big Green Arrow fan. Now a few years ago they decided to kill Oliver Queen the original Green Arrow they restarted the series with former sidekick Speedy becoming Green Arrow the fans hated it, so this series was made marking the return of Oliver Queen as Green Arrow. I think Kevin Smith is the best writer Green Arrow has ever had. While some of others overdo his wisecrack humor ala Spiderman like, Kevin has always balanced humor with serious as well. Though this isn't available for nook the graphic novel can be found in paper form though i had to have my copy ordered by barnes and noble.
Wordsmith
writerfire

Re: Green Arrow Quiver review

Cool reviews shadow!  I'll have to keep tabs on this thread!  Thanks!

The best surprize is one left untold.
shadowcat80

Xmen Messiah Complex review

X-Men  

This is one of the best graphic novels I've read on my nook color so far. The major reason is the style this story is told instead of being told in one series of xmen it's told in several different ones each with different artists. The merging of different art styles is very interesting. Also i won't do my usual xmen roll call this one cause the answer is everybody is it. Of course the big names as always but others like x-23, surge, pixie, gambit the list goes on and on it's also a who's who of all-star xmen villains as well. Mr. Sinister, Mystique, Lady Deathstrike to name a fee. This is a must read for xmen fans.
shadowcat80

Red Robin Collision review

Red Robin Collision Now before I begin this review a little explanation of who is Red Robin? In the Batman Universe the character of Robin has been different people. As they mature, they break away from the Robin identity and become their own hero. Richard Grayson the first Robin is now Nightwing, Jason Todd is now the Red Hood, and Tim Drake is now Red Robin. This story involves a time Bruce Wayne has gone missing and has been assumed dead. Now in his Will, his company Wayne Enterprises is supposed to go Tim Drake upon him reaching adulthood which he is about to, but Ra Al Ghoul one of Batman's formable enemies is seeking to take company before Drake's birthday.

Red Robin  

shadowcat80

Nightwing Freefall review

[ Edited ]

Nightwing  Nightwing Freefall As I said in my review Nightwing is Richard Grayson the original Robin. In Freefall he is dealing with a group of winged killers that are seeking a special infant who has healing abilities that may hold the secret to immortality. Nightwing still works some with Batman and the gang but, he prefers to work alone cause he and Batman don't get along. However he does have a sibling like relationship with Robin and, takes Tim Drake with on a mission to find Talia Al Ghoul. Nightwing also receives help from Superman, Powergirl, and Dr. Midnight in this story.

Nightwing  

shadowcat80

ultimate Spiderman volume 3 review

Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 3  

DC comics have their iconic figures and it's debatable which is bigger superman or Batman but there's no question in marvel their biggest icon is Spiderman. Part of that though is marvel always focused more on teams then DC has. Fantasic Four, xmen, etc... Well on to the review sorry I got passionate in a rant. Anyways Spiderman teams with Black Cat, the xmen and takes on Kingpin and Doc Ock
shadowcat80

Graphic Novel deals

Graphic Novel deals Some of the graphic novels on nook color/tablet are over ten dollars but these three are all reasonable priced. I apologize that this post might run all together. Some reason the forum does that to all my posts. I don't understand why. Anyways these are three novels which two of which I reviewed already but they are under the new and recommend thread not my graphic novel thread and the third is of the same series and I'll review it soon. Instead of using the add product feature cause it sometimes doesn't work for me here's the link to the page all three can be found. http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=EBOOK&WRD=new+xmen&ugrp=2
shadowcat80

New Xmen reviews

New X-Men by Grant Morrison Book 3 

New X-Men by Grant Morrison, Volume 1 

New X-Men by Grant Morrison, Volume 2    

New Xmen reviews I reviewed volume one and two on another thread but I think for your benefit I will do a complete review of all three together on this thread. I know that the forum going to take my spaces out like usual so I will use dashes to start each review to try to help. Volume one--The Xmen featured in this volume are Cyclops, Jean Grey, Emma Frost, Beast, Wolverine, and Xavier. After a diaster that has killed off a third of all the mutant race, the xmen are under attack by Xavier's evil twin sister Cassandra Nova who puts him into a coma attacking his mind.-- Volume two--The same characters from volume one and addition of a newer xman called Angel which is confusing cause there's another Angel who also been a xman. This Angel is a girl who also spits acid. The other is a guy who looks more like an angel then her, I think her wings look more fairy like instead of angelic. Oh well, back on track, the U--Men who humans that steal mutant DNA samples to give themselves power, they attack the x-men and capture Cyclops and Emma Frost but they take Emma lightly and she rescues Cyclops as they were focusing on him. They also learn that to cure Xavier's coma they have to catch Nova.-- Volume Three--The alien race, the Shi'ar, who have a long relationship with the xmen are attacked by Nova. The xmen use the opportunity to team with them to capture Nova and save their beloved mentor. In this volume, Emma's students the Stepford sisters join the rest of the cast. They are identical triplet sisters who possess telepathic powers but because of their triplet connection they can link their powers making them as an unit a very powerful force. Xavier is cured at the end and he gets a bit of revenge on his evil twin creating a delusion that Nova is trap inside.
dhaupt

Re: Graphic Novel deals

shadowcat80 wrote:
Graphic Novel deals Some of the graphic novels on nook color/tablet are over ten dollars but these three are all reasonable priced. I apologize that this post might run all together. Some reason the forum does that to all my posts. I don't understand why. Anyways these are three novels which two of which I reviewed already but they are under the new and recommend thread not my graphic novel thread and the third is of the same series and I'll review it soon. Instead of using the add product feature cause it sometimes doesn't work for me here's the link to the page all three can be found. http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=EBOOK&WRD=new+xmen&ugrp=2

Thanks Stephanie, I can see the posts fine and it's always great to see B&N deals :smileyhappy:

dhaupt

Re: New Xmen reviews

shadowcat80 wrote:

New X-Men by Grant Morrison Book 3 

New X-Men by Grant Morrison, Volume 1 

New X-Men by Grant Morrison, Volume 2    

New Xmen reviews I reviewed volume one and two on another thread but I think for your benefit I will do a complete review of all three together on this thread. I know that the forum going to take my spaces out like usual so I will use dashes to start each review to try to help. Volume one--The Xmen featured in this volume are Cyclops, Jean Grey, Emma Frost, Beast, Wolverine, and Xavier. After a diaster that has killed off a third of all the mutant race, the xmen are under attack by Xavier's evil twin sister Cassandra Nova who puts him into a coma attacking his mind.-- Volume two--The same characters from volume one and addition of a newer xman called Angel which is confusing cause there's another Angel who also been a xman. This Angel is a girl who also spits acid. The other is a guy who looks more like an angel then her, I think her wings look more fairy like instead of angelic. Oh well, back on track, the U--Men who humans that steal mutant DNA samples to give themselves power, they attack the x-men and capture Cyclops and Emma Frost but they take Emma lightly and she rescues Cyclops as they were focusing on him. They also learn that to cure Xavier's coma they have to catch Nova.-- Volume Three--The alien race, the Shi'ar, who have a long relationship with the xmen are attacked by Nova. The xmen use the opportunity to team with them to capture Nova and save their beloved mentor. In this volume, Emma's students the Stepford sisters join the rest of the cast. They are identical triplet sisters who possess telepathic powers but because of their triplet connection they can link their powers making them as an unit a very powerful force. Xavier is cured at the end and he gets a bit of revenge on his evil twin creating a delusion that Nova is trap inside.

Thanks Stephanie, I hope that all the graphic novel lovers appreciate your hard work here I know I do

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Batman R.I.P reviews

Batman R.I.P.  

Batman R.I.P is a wonderful graphic novel by Grant Morrison who has made three of the X-men novels I'm reviewed before. He also is the maker of the All-Star Superman series as well which was very popular at the time. Anyways on to the review, Batman has many enemies and they desire him dead. The most notable being his nemesis the Joker who has a plan to destroy Batman's mind so he can be taken down once and for all. But he's not called the dark knight for nothing.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Batman R.I.P reviews

Thanks Stephanie - great review :smileyhappy:

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Green Lantern blackest night review

Blackest Night  

Today I'm reviewing Green Lantern blackest night. The title refers to part of his oath. In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight, let those who worship evil's might, beware my power, Green Lantern's light. But the question has always been what is a blackest night? Well apparently it's super human zombies. Former heroes who have died in the line of duty as super heroes rise from their graves and they go on a rampage. It's up to Hal Jordan and the Flash teaming up to put these zombies back in their graves but, it's emotional for them as they have to fight fallen friends.
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

X-men the Dark Phoenix saga review

X-Men  

X-men the Dark Phoenix saga is a classic series that now is available for nook color and tablet. In it the team brings in a young new mutant named Kitty Pryde aka Shadowcat who has recently emerged her power of phasing through walls. Also the Hellfire Club are targeting Jean Grey aka the Phoenix to be a part of their group. They capture Jean, Storm and Wolverine, and then they use their telepaths to warp and brainwash Jean into becoming evil. The team is rescued by the young Shadowcat, Nightcrawler, and Colossus but as the team tries to get Jean back to normal she becomes the Phoenix and the power has corrupted her mind, she goes on a rampage and the team must stop her but, they love Jean so it is emotional.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: X-men the Dark Phoenix saga review

Thanks Stephanie :smileyhappy: 

great review

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

New Avengers breakout review

New Avengers, Volume 1  

New Avengers breakout takes place after the team broke apart when a member had a mental breakdown, Captain America yearning to bring the team back he recruits new blood to join him and Iron Man for a New Avengers team. Spiderman, Spiderwoman(no relation to Spiderman), Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Wolverine make up the new comers. The new team has to face a group of super villains led by Electro who broke them out in a prison break hence the title breakout.