Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog and visit from debut author Lynne Spreen

LynneSpreen wrote:
Deb, sorry not to get to you sooner. It'll be touch and go today with BOTH grandbabies, both under 2 years. Here's what I think about word-of-mouth: it's the MOST credible way to share info. People can buy ads or drum up marketing, but if your readers are willing to stop by Amazon.com and leave a rating, that gets attention!

Thanks Lynne and please don't worry about how often you get to the board, I know you're a busy grandma and author right now and since there are no time restraints on the forums you just check in whenever it's convenient for you.

and thanks for answering my question :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
Catherine111
0 Kudos

LynneSpreen wrote:
Deb, sorry not to get to you sooner. It'll be touch and go today with BOTH grandbabies, both under 2 years. Here's what I think about word-of-mouth: it's the MOST credible way to share info. People can buy ads or drum up marketing, but if your readers are willing to stop by Amazon.com and leave a rating, that gets attention!

As a reader, this is interesting to know.  I have heard other authors say that leaving reviews and ratings can help them sell their books.  I always figured, "who cares what I think."  But now I try to take the extra effort to leave a review and a rating.  However, I must confess that if I don't like a book, I don't leave a review or rating.  I would feel bad about leaving negative feedback!

BTW, your book sounds very interesting and I am putting it on my to-read list. 

I also have a question.  What authors do you like and what type of books do you read?  I think you can learn a lot about an author by what they enjoy reading. 

Catherine
Author
LynneSpreen
0 Kudos

Catherine, again, I apologize for being so late to answer but we had meltdown with the two babies all morning! I like your idea of not leaving a rating if you don't like the book. I tend to do that myself, because I don't want to hurt somebody's feelings.

About my fave authors, I loved The Shipping News by Annie Proulx, Belle Canto and State of Wonder by Ann Patchett, almost anything by Elizabeth Strout; Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver, and now i'm typing 1handed with 2 yr old ella in my lap so forgive me-must run...
Author
LynneSpreen

oh, and i read as much nonfiction as fiction - i love things about why we humans do and aCT like we do
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Lynne sorry about the baby meltdown today but they're as unpredicable as the weather aren't they.

In your blog post I see that you've got another novel, I love the working title BTW, I know that you get inspiration from places you know, like Dakota Blues being based in an area where your aunt lives.

So how about the characters, where do they come from. Are they a culmination of people you know, or are they just made up.

Thanks again for hanging around with us.

Author
LynneSpreen

Deb, I mentioned I was learning how to write as I wrote Dakota Blues, so the characters started out being one thing and ended up in some cases being another! But for the most part they are all made up. I used names of relatives to honor them (Karen is my big sister's name; Lorraine and Jim are a real couple in Dickinson; Lena was my aunt; Marie is my mother's name, for example. But the resemblance ends there. Every character is 100% fictional. The only person who is based on somebody I know is Karen, and she is - I admit it - in many ways based on me. Except I have a nice husband!
Author
LynneSpreen

Just want to say, one of the biggest challenges I had in learning to put a novel together was figuring out what goes where? And after a lot of trial and error, I found myself most comfortable with Larry Brooks' Story Structure. If anyone reading this is struggling with the same thing, I highly recommend going to StoryFix.com and reading everything Larry has to say!
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Thanks Lynne for your answer to my question and for that piece of advice

i have to admit that I had no idea writing could be so complicated, it must be a labor of love to authors who not only give of themselves in aspects of time but also the things they must go through to see that work in print or digital form.

Author
LynneSpreen

It really is a labor of love, Deb. It takes at least a year to write a book, then time to edit and revise, and many of us are doing this in our spare time, missing sleep or what have you. And it isn't for the money! I have a friend who taught HS English fulltime, but got up at 3:30 every morning for a year to work on her book. Why would a person do that? Yet look how many do! It must be love!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Hypothetical question for Lynne Spreen

LynneSpreen wrote:
It really is a labor of love, Deb. It takes at least a year to write a book, then time to edit and revise, and many of us are doing this in our spare time, missing sleep or what have you. And it isn't for the money! I have a friend who taught HS English fulltime, but got up at 3:30 every morning for a year to work on her book. Why would a person do that? Yet look how many do! It must be love!

Lynne, writing as I have found it, IS a labor of love, but I'm finding my muse, along with my love, fading these days, becoming more labor than love.  

What would you do, if you found yourself in this position?  Do you have methods of regaining that momentum of the muse back?

I didn't even get to the board, yesterday, and see I'd missed a few posts!  Thanks for all your answers, Lynne, you've been a great participant, kids and all!

K. ♥

Author
LynneSpreen
0 Kudos

Re: Hypothetical question for Lynne Spreen

Kathy, I am covered with baby spitup and tired to my core. I'm sure my 4-month-old grandson feels insecure in my care, and my 23-month-old granddaughter hurt my feelings yesterday. My left knee is twisted and I have to make my lunch and set out tomorrow's clothes before going to my critique group, for which I have, for the second week in a row, nothing to read. So, the answer is - what was the question?
Just kidding.
If I lost my love, I would give myself a month off. I would try everything to enjoy life, and hope the burner lit again. Why do you write? Is it to leave something for your legacy, or to express your views to the world, or to revel in the joy of a well-crafted paragraph? Whatever lights your pilot, that's the thing you should revisit. Analyze it. You don't have to write. None of us HAS to. Only do it if you want to, even play with giving it up for a while. See what happens.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Hypothetical question for Lynne Spreen

LynneSpreen wrote:
Kathy, I am covered with baby spitup and tired to my core. I'm sure my 4-month-old grandson feels insecure in my care, and my 23-month-old granddaughter hurt my feelings yesterday. My left knee is twisted and I have to make my lunch and set out tomorrow's clothes before going to my critique group, for which I have, for the second week in a row, nothing to read. So, the answer is - what was the question?
Just kidding.
If I lost my love, I would give myself a month off. I would try everything to enjoy life, and hope the burner lit again. Why do you write? Is it to leave something for your legacy, or to express your views to the world, or to revel in the joy of a well-crafted paragraph? Whatever lights your pilot, that's the thing you should revisit. Analyze it. You don't have to write. None of us HAS to. Only do it if you want to, even play with giving it up for a while. See what happens.

Thanks, Lynne, for your answers.  Good advice.  I'll take heed.

I know what I asked may have sounded a bit insignificant, compared to what kind of days you go through to write.  :smileyfrustrated:  (Off the record, and just between you, me, and the fence post, I could have answered my own question, but this was a trick-of-the-discussion-trade, to get you to answer a question that I think a lot of people out there might be interested in hearing, while going through these types problems. 

Personally speaking, I take all the time I need to analyze.  I have figured it out.  It's a complicated, multiple answer, answer.... I don't like some of the answers I give myself, though.  I've been told I'm too hard on myself in this process.  Thankfully, I've stopped beating myself up to badly.

The world of creativity comes to me in all kinds of packages.  I've tried, and opened most of them, and I've succeeded in each, to some extent.  Now, it's just time for me to figure out which one I want to re-open.  I can only concentrate on one at a time.  Ceramics is high up on that list, and focus is the real key for me to be able to move forward.  It's like shifting gears, and sometimes the gears need a little greasing, especially at my age!

I'm also thankful I don't have kids spitting up on me, although, my nine year old's gum mysteriously leaves his mouth at odd moments, and somehow accidentally gets stuck on me!  And he thinks it's funny to pound his little fists into my butt!  I'm hoping to lose a few pounds in the process.  Our kids, and our grandkids, are a real learning experience.

Two year olds only think about themselves, their world revolves around only them.  Please don't let yourself feel hurt by her words.

And, again, I thank you for your words of wisdom.  Much appreciated.

p.s.  I hope your cold gets better soon!

K. ♥

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: It's Friday so it will be a good day

[ Edited ]

LynneSpreen wrote:
Just kidding.

Kathy thank you for the question

Lynne- I'm so sorry for the day you had yesterday, perhaps it will end up as a scene somewhere.

It's sad/funny how the people we love the most are the ones who can hurt our feelings the most too and they do, even though in your grandbabies cases I'm sure it was unintentional.

Being a non-writer, except for blurbs and reviews it's interesting to see how authors and other writers feed their muse and keep on going in times of famine.

I sincerely hope that today is better for you

And I thank you for making everyone seeing this a little more cognizant of what a real life in the day of a writer is like baby spit and all

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: It's Friday so it will be a good day

Lynne I do have a question for you too.

As a reader I love series as well as stand a lone novels

Have you ever considered writing a series, is that decision made for an author by her/his characters, not feeling the story is ended, what?

I urge my followers here to visit your website, you have wonderful blog posts, stories about your own life and pearls of wisdom that we should read and in some cases follow.

I especiall like the post about backstabbing women, it's fascinating reading and I've experienced it many times in my working life and have even unfortunately done it.

here's the link to Lynne's website

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Thank You Lynne

Today is Lynne's last day with us so please stop by if you have anything you forgot to ask or just to say thanks

Lynne- for me this was illuminating and I love promoting debut authors and if that author just happens to be an age peer of mine as well, all for the better.

Good luck on your new novel, your new career and your future works

Please stop by the forum from time to time and let us know what's going on in your world

Thank you again

imgres-1.jpeg

KathyS
0 Kudos

Thank you Lynne, for coming here and being such a good sport.  I'm proud to say I know you.

You've given all of us things to think about, both here, and on your Blog,  http://anyshinything.com/  I learn so much from you.  I hope you come back again, if just to say hi, and keep us up to date on what's going on in your busy life.

Have a great weekend, my friend!

Kathy :heart:

Author
LynneSpreen
0 Kudos

Thanks, Debbie, for welcoming me into your world. I'll see you around Facebook!
Author
LynneSpreen
0 Kudos

Thanks, Kathy, it's been a real privilege!