Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
JMBAR
0 Kudos

Re: Historical Fiction?

This is fiction based on the documents in the South Dakota State Archives for the Canton Indian Insane Asylum that was in existence from 1904 to 1934.  A congressional investigation in 1934 revealed such terrible abuse and mistreatment that the facility had to be closed.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

JMBAR wrote:

This is fiction based on the documents in the South Dakota State Archives for the Canton Indian Insane Asylum that was in existence from 1904 to 1934.  A congressional investigation in 1934 revealed such terrible abuse and mistreatment that the facility had to be closed.

Fallen Hopes, Taken Dreams  

Thanks it looks like something that should interest quite a few of the members here

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

JMBAR wrote:

Fallen Hopes, Taken Dreams  

Thanks it looks like something that should interest quite a few of the members here

So many books, so little time ........but I just had to download it

Anne

New User
Read-fan
0 Kudos

I am new to this site so hope I'm replying to the right person.  I love historical fiction.  There is a  Civil War fiction series that won the fiction award in Arkansas last year.  There are 3 book, all is very good.  The 4th is supposed to be released next month.  The books are titled Where the Road Begins, A Difference of Opinion, and A Long Way to Go.

I would also like to know any good historical fiction suggestions!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Read-fan wrote:

I am new to this site so hope I'm replying to the right person.  I love historical fiction.  There is a  Civil War fiction series that won the fiction award in Arkansas last year.  There are 3 book, all is very good.  The 4th is supposed to be released next month.  The books are titled Where the Road Begins, A Difference of Opinion, and A Long Way to Go.

I would also like to know any good historical fiction suggestions!

Hi Read-fan. There are a great many of Historical fiction fans here.

I like some of them.

here are a list of my favorite

Outlaw  A tale of Robin Hood

The House of Velvet and Glass  A novel in the times of the Titanic  and WWI

Overseas  A time travel masterpiece with a romantic elements

Daughters of the Witching Hill  A novel about the real Witch Trials of Pendle England in 1612

This is the first two of the All Souls trilogy, it's time travel, paranormal but it's written by a History Professor and is really acurate in details of the times

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy #1) 

Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy #2) 

this is also time travel but not paranormal and also very time distinct.

Outlander (20th Anniversary Edition)        

Bridge of Scarlet Leaves  

A WWII tale of love and loss

I hope you find many good reads here and check out my list of 2013 reads where I have a few historical features already picked out here

And thanks for visiting I hope you're a frequent guest