New User
LauraB345
0 Kudos

Historical Fiction?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a new historical fiction book to enjoy.  So far my tastes have been limited to pretty much anything I can find about Tudor England and Henry VIII but I'm open to pretty much anything.

Any suggestions you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks!!! 

Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

Re: Historical Fiction?

LauraB345 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a new historical fiction book to enjoy.  So far my tastes have been limited to pretty much anything I can find about Tudor England and Henry VIII but I'm open to pretty much anything.

Thanks!!! 

Well, if you still want to carry on with England, there's the Jane Austenite books, as I like to call them -- a very good series (I keep forgetting the author, but I do remember the titles) includes Mr. Darcy's Daughters, The Exploits of Althea Darcy, The True Darcy Spirit, The Darcy Connection, and The Second Mrs. Darcy.  I've got nearly all of them.

If you want to venture outside Europe, there's Lisa See's books, Anchee Min, etc.

I hope these suggestions help.

Redcatlady 

Contributor
SoCalMom
0 Kudos

I have a great historical fiction for you.  The Knowledge of Angels by Jill Paton Walsh. 

It takes place during the fifteenth century.  The main character is a castaway that has survives a shipwreck only to land on a Mediterranean Island controlled by the Catholic Church.  When the Spanish Inquisition arrives his beliefs, or lack of beliefs are challenge. 

It's a very good fast read. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I realize, of course, that it is not true logic to argue--"The world is not as we think it is--therefore everything we think impossible is possible in it." Even if it be different, it is governed by law. The truly impossible is that which is outside law, and as nothing can be outside law, the impossible cannot exist.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Have you read Philippa Gregory?  Wonderful stuff, and right up the Tudor alley. 

Stephanie
Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

The Innocent Traitor by Alison Wier is a must read. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's one of my favorites.

It's the story of Lady Jane Grey–“the Nine Days’ Queen”–a fifteen-year-old girl who unwittingly finds herself at the center of the religious and civil unrest that nearly toppled the fabled House of Tudor during the sixteenth century.

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

They aren't what you normally read but you might try one of these:

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus

Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross

Moloka'i by Alan Brennert

All are favorites of mine. Hope this helps!

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

you might check out this site and this one for some good historic novel suggestions.

i also found this very interesting website for children, teens, young adults etc.

if you would like to try something new, i am planning to read The Cairo Trilogy by Naguib Mahfouz. I have only heard/read good things about these three novels by the Nobel Prize winning author.

twj

LauraB345 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!!! 

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

I liked One Thousand White Women also.  It was a great alternate history story.

I like anything by Diana Gabaldon.  She is a great story teller.   I have also been reading Jack Whyte and Bernard Corwell. 

MG

Contributor
CelticSkye
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Have you read Philippa Gregory?  Wonderful stuff, and right up the Tudor alley. 

I definately agree with Stephanie on this one.  I love Philippa Gregory.  The Constant Princess is about Katherine of Aaragon and her childhood and leads up to her marriage to King Henry.  The Other Boleyn Girl and The Boleyn Inheritance were also very good.  I also read The Last Boleyn by Karen Harper and enjoyed it as well.  

I am a huge Tudor buff but also love Historical Fiction.  I stumbled across an author named Jennifer Donnelly.  She wrote The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose.  It's set in the late 19th century early 20th century.  I found The Tea Rose on a "Recommended Reads" table in Barnes and Noble a few months ago and wasn't able to put it down.  I'm not sure if its going to be a series or a trilogy but they were both amazing books.

Happy Reading!

Mary Kate

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

fordmg wrote:

pjpick wrote:

I liked One Thousand White Women alsoIt was a great alternate history story.

I like anything by Diana GabaldonShe is a great story teller.   I have also been reading Jack Whyte and Bernard Corwell

MG

I certainly did like One Thousand White Women. It was one of those unusual history novels that you just meander into and love. Fabulous.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

CelticSkye wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Have you read Philippa GregoryWonderful stuff, and right up the Tudor alley

I definately agree with Stephanie on this oneI love Philippa GregoryThe Constant Princess is about Katherine of Aaragon and her childhood and leads up to her marriage to King HenryThe Other Boleyn Girl and The Boleyn Inheritance were also very goodI also read The Last Boleyn by Karen Harper and enjoyed it as well.  

I am a huge Tudor buff but also love Historical FictionI stumbled across an author named Jennifer DonnellyShe wrote The Tea Rose and The Winter RoseIt's set in the late 19th century early 20th centuryI found The Tea Rose on a "Recommended Reads" table in Barnes and Noble a few months ago and wasn't able to put it downI'm not sure if its going to be a series or a trilogy but they were both amazing books.

Happy Reading!

Mary Kate

Oh! Yes! This is how I got so crazy about reading about the Tudor era  in English history. I read everyone of them and most of them were on B&N University or clubs and Miss Stephanie was our moderator

B&N Bookseller
DariaJane
0 Kudos

Mary by Janis Newman is not a Tudor- or England-related book, but it s definitely worth a look!  It basically reads as Mary Todd Lincoln's (Abe's wife) diary, from her childhood through her death.  Taken from some first person sources, such as a book written by her maid, it is a very insightful look to how this woman went from a normal life, to the President's wife, to widow. to an insane asylum and out again.  I recommend this book in my store to any lover of the Civil War era and Abraham Lincoln, along with any reader of historical fiction.

I also agree that Tea Rose is a great historical fiction read, as it follows a woman from Jack-the-Ripper era England through the turn of the century in America.  If you likes The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks, you'll love this book even more!

New User
Pillarsoftheearth
0 Kudos

Anything by Bernard Cornwell. There is another great historical fiction book called Five Quarter of an Orange. It is fantastic. Different era but wonderful read.

New User
Diverbrian

Have you read Phillipa Gregory's books?  I haven't read one yet but my wife loves them.  The most recent is called "The White Queen."  I am more Nautical Fiction like the Horatio Hornblower series among many others.

Brian

Frequent Contributor
Christinewannabe47
0 Kudos

If you like the Elizabethan and Tudor England, than you'd probably like Portrait of an Unkown Woman and The Sixth Wife. They're both good books and I suggest you read them. lol. I also like the Victorian age with the Luxe series, though those are mainly for teenagers. That's all that I can think of off the top of my head.

Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
0 Kudos

Are you looking more for romance?  Or Cozy or mystery?

For good mysteries, take a look at Michael Jecks.  Very good with the historical angles--quite interesting stuff.  I like the early ones for the stuff he includes about his research, but the later ones are smoother and of a bit faster pace.

I keep hearing about Rhys Bowen from my reading group, although I haven't tried them yet.  I think they are cozy mysteries.

Maria

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

I might also recommend one that take place in early 20th century:

East of the Sun 

Contributor
nomesque
0 Kudos

Another vote for Diana Gabaldon here!

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12

Paula717 wrote:

The Innocent Traitor by Alison Wier is a must read. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's one of my favorites.

It's the story of Lady Jane Grey–“the Nine Days’ Queen”–a fifteen-year-old girl who unwittingly finds herself at the center of the religious and civil unrest that nearly toppled the fabled House of Tudor during the sixteenth century.

I have to concur with the suggestion for Alison Wier.  She's one of the foremost historians of the Tudors and then to have her novelisations of the period - it's too good to be true!  A fantastic writer.
Diana Gabaldon is a favorite of mine, too, but certainly not Tudor, since the entire series sprawls over many decades surrounding the Revolutionary War.  It is also somewhat sci/fi/fantasy, which is great if you're in to that sort of thing.
"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
New User
JackAubrey

Hi LauraB345 I am also new on this site. I saw your plea for Historical Novels. I recommend you look at Patrick O'Brian's series starting with Master and Commander. They are stories about a Royal Naval captain and his ships surgeon during the Napoleonic wars. The new York Times called them "the best historical novels ever written". You have to have some interest in history,naval engagements and the sea.........but the books are much more than that,and you willprobably fall in love with these guys as they make their way, it has two memorable love stories intertwined, as well as just superb writing. best regards Ian Neale