New User
Beatrice1927
0 Kudos

Re: Historical Fiction?

I'm been trying to read Wolf Hall for a couple of months.  I keep putting it down.  I can't find a rhyme or reason.  Very disappointed.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Beatrice1927 wrote:

I'm been trying to read Wolf Hall for a couple of months.  I keep putting it down.  I can't find a rhyme or reason.  Very disappointed.

Beatrice -- Say more.  Why were you disappointed?  What does "can't find a rhyme or reason" mean?  What other books are you comparing Wolf Hall with?

I listened to the CD's a month or so ago.  Personally, I'd like to return to the story one day, either in oral or written form.  I found the story being told from Cromwell's perspective the strongest attraction.  I had also started another of Mantel's books, A Place of Greater Safety (French Revolution), and had gotten hooked on her sense of humor.  (I had had to return that one to the library before I finished, but have since bought it and it is on my TBR pile.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Pilate's Wife 

I was fortunate to review this for Harper Colllins back in 07 and really liked the novel way the book looked at the history of the time. 

New User
Beatrice1927

I wasn't comparing Wolf Hall to any other books.  It seemed to jump from one thing to another and I never could figure out who's perspective, I was reading.  It's now in my tbr pile.

I was disappointed because the reviews I read were very encouraging and I looked forward to reading it.  I'm going to give it another try.

Contributor
Moonlight_Sonata023
0 Kudos

Hey everyone, glad I found this thread. I'm actually reading a historical fiction right now...it's called I am Mary Tudor by Hilda Lewis. Has anyone heard of it? I'm not sure if it's well-known, it's kind of old, published in the 70s I think but I really love the book so far! It's so beautifully written from the point of view of one of the most infamous queens in England history: Bloody Mary. It talks about her as a child, the things that happened to her after her father divorced her mother and her growing up to be a sad, angry and bitter young woman and eventually an insane, damanged queen.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Moonlight Sonata -- if you are enjoying Hilda Lewis's account, you may one day enjoy contrasting it with one of the further readings on Mary I listed at the end of this article.

Many years ago I read several accounts of Elizabeth I. In recent years, I have not kept up with what scholarship and imagination now say about her reign, although I have enjoyed a couple of the fairly recent films.  (I did just listen to Wolf Hall, told basically from the viewpoint of Cromwell.) It is a fascinating period in English history and both men and women withstood incredible pressures as leaders and just as human beings.  (As do today's leaders, in very different circumstances.)

This page, Mary Tudor Fiction Shelf, has some comments you may find of interest.

Ms. Lewis was known for her historical novels. Here is a list of her works and when they were published. (She lived 1896 - 1974.) It is expensive to purchase, but apparently this book by Ms. Lewis is particularly well regarded:

The Ship That Flew  "When Peter sees the model ship in the shop window, he wants it more than anything else on Earth. But this is no ordinary model. The ship takes Peter and the other children on magical flights, wherever they ask to go."  Source.

Moonlight_Sonata023 wrote:

Hey everyone, glad I found this thread. I'm actually reading a historical fiction right now...it's called I am Mary Tudor by Hilda Lewis. Has anyone heard of it? I'm not sure if it's well-known, it's kind of old, published in the 70s I think but I really love the book so far! It's so beautifully written from the point of view of one of the most infamous queens in England history: Bloody Mary. It talks about her as a child, the things that happened to her after her father divorced her mother and her growing up to be a sad, angry and bitter young woman and eventually an insane, damanged queen.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
Moonlight_Sonata023
0 Kudos

Peppermill,

Thank you for that weath of info! Mary Tudor always intrigued me simply because I've heard almost nothing but negative things about her as opposed to Elizabeth I who was the "good, heoic" one. I've read several books on Elizabeth and studied her in high school and college. Not to mention the tons of movies and novels written about her. I saw the movie with Helen Mirren. However, I kept wondering about the "evil" sister, the one that's always portrayed as a villian compared to Elizabeth, the "crazy" queen that supposedly burned 300 people at the stake during her reign. I actually found Hilda Lewis's novel through the Mary Tudor Fiction Shelf. I think I would like to read further on Mary Tudor, it'll be interesting to determine what was fact or fantasy. I am considering reading more of Hilda Lewis's novels in the future. I really like how she seems very knowledgable about the subject matter. Yeah, her novels are mostly out of print but I think it'd be worth it the time to try to search for it.

Wolf Hall sounds interesting. A novel about Thomas Cromwell? Oh wow, I'm intrigued, there aren't a lot of books that center on him. He's often portrayed as a powerful supporter/close ally to Henry VII and also I "ruthless" or "power-hungry" in some novels I've read. He's portrayed very negatively in Hilda Lewis's novel but still, so many books on Tudor history are written either from Henry VIII's POV or one of his wives POV so I think it'd be nice to read from Cromwell's view.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

as opposed to Elizabeth I who was the "good, heroic" one.

Hardly "good" in much of what I encountered! :smileyvery-happy:  The prototype ruthless woman with power, perhaps.  Although, if you mean "good" for the history of England....

Mary Tudor's mother, Catherine of Aragon, is one of the figures that continues to intrigue me.  (I just now note this from the article linked: "Such was Catherine's impression on people, that even her enemy, Thomas Cromwell, said of her 'If not for her sex, she could have defied all the heros of History.'"  I don't know that Wolf Hall positions him so much as her enemy as the courier of the will of the King.)  

Wolf Hall contrasts Cromwell with Thomas Moore, and Moore does not fare as well in the comparison as I have perceived in other accounts.  Cromwell seems more the pragmatic politician; Moore, the rigid ideologist.

Moonlight_Sonata023 wrote:

Peppermill,

Thank you for that weath of info! Mary Tudor always intrigued me simply because I've heard almost nothing but negative things about her as opposed to Elizabeth I who was the "good, heroic" one. I've read several books on Elizabeth and studied her in high school and college. Not to mention the tons of movies and novels written about her. I saw the movie with Helen Mirren. However, I kept wondering about the "evil" sister, the one that's always portrayed as a villian compared to Elizabeth, the "crazy" queen that supposedly burned 300 people at the stake during her reign. I actually found Hilda Lewis's novel through the Mary Tudor Fiction Shelf. I think I would like to read further on Mary Tudor, it'll be interesting to determine what was fact or fantasy. I am considering reading more of Hilda Lewis's novels in the future. I really like how she seems very knowledgable about the subject matter. Yeah, her novels are mostly out of print but I think it'd be worth it the time to try to search for it.

Wolf Hall sounds interesting. A novel about Thomas Cromwell? Oh wow, I'm intrigued, there aren't a lot of books that center on him. He's often portrayed as a powerful supporter/close ally to Henry VII and also I "ruthless" or "power-hungry" in some novels I've read. He's portrayed very negatively in Hilda Lewis's novel but still, so many books on Tudor history are written either from Henry VIII's POV or one of his wives POV so I think it'd be nice to read from Cromwell's view.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Peppermill,

I have to present Wolf Hall to my book group, this winter and will read the hard copy later on as my presentation date gets nearer. I always read a book I present twice so I wondered how did you find the reader in your digital version? I was thinking of listening to it on my drive up north. It is a couple's group my husband and I will be presenting it together. He is my history buff. I was wondering if it would be interesting in that format for him as he always wants a shoot "em up spy novel when we drive. All reader's are not equal. The reader who read Crime and Punishment was the best I have ever heard. Is this one good?

Thanks,

twj

Peppermill wrote:

...edited by twj....

I listened to the CD's a month or so ago.  Personally, I'd like to return to the story one day, either in oral or written form.  I found the story being told from Cromwell's perspective the strongest attraction. ....

Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TWJ -- I was quite satisfied with the reader for Wolf Hall.  I couldn't tell you who it was without looking. (Simon Slater -- I didn't find the information on the B&N listing!  Bah! Humbug!)

If your husband is a historian and especially if you will both be presenting the book at your book club, I should think you would find it interesting to listen together.  It probably will not be as entertaining as a "shoot 'em up spy novel" nor as likely to keep the driver awake.  :smileyvery-happy:  But, I know I would have enjoyed someone to discuss it with as I listened -- sort ot, the what if questions about history, if More had only..., if Wolsey had been successful at..., was Cromwell as cut-throat as history has depicted him or is he more human and humane in Mantel's presentation, what about her depiction of Anne Boleyn or Catherine of Aragon?  

As I have watched the comments on Wolf Hall, and overheard them at my local library, I find not everyone has particularly enjoyed it.  I'm not sure why, but if I were to make a guess, it might be more a deep dive into Cromwell's personality and background than would interest most.  I did not find it as humorous as that part of A Place of Greater Safety that I have read (had to return the library book before I was done, but have since bought it and it is on my TBR), but there were still places where I enjoyed the humor.

Before you decide how to use the time on your trip, you might take a look at an extensive set of reader reviews -- both the five star and one star ones at least.  I just did (for the book itself, that is; I don't know of any for the Audio per se) -- and they are not as out of sync with one another as one might expect.  (As far as the antecedents to the pronoun "he" that both one star and five star readers complain about, I think Slater may have helped make those easier some places.  Elsewhere, listening, I basically just rolled with the punches and got as much as  interested me.  If you either need more certainty, you might want a hard copy along.)

thewanderingjew wrote:

Peppermill,

I have to present Wolf Hall to my book group, this winter and will read the hard copy later on as my presentation date gets nearer. I always read a book I present twice so I wondered how did you find the reader in your digital version? I was thinking of listening to it on my drive up north. It is a couple's group my husband and I will be presenting it together. He is my history buff. I was wondering if it would be interesting in that format for him as he always wants a shoot "em up spy novel when we drive. All reader's are not equal. The reader who read Crime and Punishment was the best I have ever heard. Is this one good?

Thanks,

twj

Peppermill wrote:

...edited by twj....

I listened to the CD's a month or so ago.  Personally, I'd like to return to the story one day, either in oral or written form.  I found the story being told from Cromwell's perspective the strongest attraction. ....

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for that great information. I will take a look at the reviews and I think I will follow your advice and listen together with my husband. He can fill me in on the things that I am not certain of since his background in history is stronger than mine. I will definitely read the hard copy anyway, probably afterward, and I am sure I will have to do some research to answer the questions I raise. It isn't going to be presented until December, I checked my schedule, so I will have time to do whatever is necessary. Our trip home is in two weeks and it will give us both something to look forward to since the drive is getting tedious.

Thanks again,

twj

Peppermill wrote:

TWJ -- I was quite satisfied with the reader for Wolf Hall.  I couldn't tell you who it was without looking. (Simon Slater -- I didn't find the information on the B&N listing!  Bah! Humbug!)....

New User
shafik
0 Kudos

The Chains of St. Peter. A very exciting book! Although it is Biblically based I found it very exciting.

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

shafik wrote:

The Chains of St. Peter. A very exciting book! Although it is Biblically based I found it very exciting.

We got it, Shafik. No need to post multiple times. You're spamming and if it continues, your ability to post will be revoked.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Welcome, Rory. 

You will probably enjoy using the "add product" feature:

Shopkeeper by James Best

The Sulphur Cure  by Barry Brennessel

RoryReader wrote:

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=EBOOK&WRD=sulphur+cure

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=EBOOK&WRD=shopkeeper&box=shopkeepe...

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

Two free downloads Mozart's Sister by Nancy Moser & The Choice by Suzanne Fisher :smileyhappy:

I added the link to Mozart's Sister in paperback so you could see the picture of the e-book:smileytongue:

N

Mozart's Sister

Mozart's Sister

The Choice (Lancaster County Secrets Series #1)

Happy Reading :smileywink:

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

Two more free e-books Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange & Naomi And Her Daughters by Walter Wangerin Jr.

Mr. Darcy's Diary

Naomi and Her Daughters

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

I also have this book and found it a wonderful read. It was definitely a different view point to the story of what was going on during that era.
Mtn Muse

dhaupt wrote:

Pilate's Wife 

I was fortunate to review this for Harper Colllins back in 07 and really liked the novel way the book looked at the history of the time. 

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

I also have this book and found it a wonderful read. It was definitely a different view point to the story of what was going on during that era.
Mtn Muse

dhaupt wrote:

Pilate's Wife 

Glad you enjoyed it Karen, maybe we were separated at birth :-)

Peppermill
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Mtn Muse

dhaupt wrote:

Pilate's Wife 

Glad you enjoyed it Karen, maybe we were separated at birth :-)

It's on special right now for $2.99 at B&N, out-of-stock in stores near me.  My Bible class is doing a series right now on Biblical women, not necessarily the most usual ones.  I haven't seen the syllabus.  I wonder if she will be one we will consider.

I noticed yesterday that the Met catalog has an art book of women in the Bible -- but that one is not inexpensive!