Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
LucyintheOC
0 Kudos

Holiday Reading

I was wondering if any of you have suggestions about holiday reading. The in-person B&N book group that I belong to likes to read something light, uplifting and holiday-ish for December. Last year we read A Christmas Carol and the year before we read The Christmas Train. If anyone has some suggestions for our book group, I would definitely welcome them.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Holiday Reading

A few years ago, when they had B&N University, I took a class on Christmas literature that was a lot of fun.  Of course, we did A Christmas Carol.  Some other short works you might be interested in are A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas, and there is a book available that includes three Truman Capote short stories about his childhood memories, one about Thanksgiving and two about Christmas (A Christmas Memory, One Christmas, and the Thanksgiving Visitor).  We also read various works in The Little Big Book of Christmas, which is a delightful book with poems, stories, carols, recipes, etc., and lots of vintage illustrations.  There are a whole series of these "Little Big Books"; I have purchased several more of them since then (Ireland, Cats, Chills & Thrills), and I really love them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
nhbooklover
0 Kudos

What about Holiday In Your Heart?. It's the book that LeAnn Rimes helped write after she first came on the scene. There was also a TV movie that she starred in by the same title.

I've never read the book myself, but that title just came to mind.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

HI Lucy, I'm in the same boat that yo are. I have to pick the holiday book for our club. I can't think of anything Christmasy but I was thinking of a substantial children's book. Currently I'm thinking of The Tales of Desperaux or another one by the same author. But then again I may just  change my mind and choose something else.

Wait! I think John Grisham wrote a holiday book and wasn't there one a few years ago called The Christmas Box or something like that? Or, for a very different feel maybe The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore?

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

HI Lucy, I'm in the same boat that yo are. I have to pick the holiday book for our club. I can't think of anything Christmasy but I was thinking of a substantial children's book. Currently I'm thinking of The Tales of Desperaux or another one by the same author. But then again I may just  change my mind and choose something else.

Wait! I think John Grisham wrote a holiday book and wasn't there one a few years ago called The Christmas Box or something like that? Or, for a very different feel maybe The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore?

I love holiday books! I read as many as I can in the winter time but I'll read them at any time of the year. The Stupidest Christmas Angel is a riot. So is Janet Evanovich's Visions of Sugarplums. John Grisham's funny book is Skipping Christmas from several years ago. It was also made into a movie with Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis. Debbie Macomber has some cute books that are about three angels and each book is a different story and a different adventure. They tend to get themselves in trouble if I recall correctly. Richard Paul Evans has some good ones that pull at your heartstrings, Finding Noel and The Gift. Dave Barry wrote The Shepherd, The Angel and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog a few years ago and I thought it was such a sweet story about a childhood Christmas. The title alone got my attention. Sorry for getting carried away here. I told you that I loved these kinds of books! :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Our book club truly appreciated the stories by Truman Capote that Dulcinea cites, although we may have done them for November rather than December.

Just a short story, but a favorite of mine is "The Other Wise Man" by O'Henry.  Another possibility is one of the many studies of Mary that are available.   December is also a good time for everyone to share their favorite lines from the books that have been read throughout the year, perhaps having the group guess their source.  If the group sings, a book of carols could be fun, especially if it included some background stories.  Winter solstice and other holidays of that time of the year are also possibilities.

dulcinea3 wrote:
A few years ago, when they had B&N University, I took a class on Christmas literature that was a lot of fun.  Of course, we did A Christmas Carol.  Some other short works you might be interested in are A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas, and there is a book available that includes three Truman Capote short stories about his childhood memories, one about Thanksgiving and two about Christmas (A Christmas Memory, One Christmas, and the Thanksgiving Visitor).  We also read various works in The Little Big Book of Christmas, which is a delightful book with poems, stories, carols, recipes, etc., and lots of vintage illustrations.  There are a whole series of these "Little Big Books"; I have purchased several more of them since then (Ireland, Cats, Chills & Thrills), and I really love them.
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Dulcinea,

You were in the Christmas Classics class?  I was the instructor.  That was a wonderful time- I truly enjoyed that.  We certainly had fun discussing Ebenezer, didn't we? 

Stephanie
Contributor
Ela87
0 Kudos

does anyone know of any book clubs in the fairview heights, IL area?
"Character is always lost when a high ideal is sacrificed on the altar of conformity and popularity." - Charles Spurgeon

If you can dream it, you can do it. - Walt Disney
B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
0 Kudos

I highly suggest Autobiography of Santa Claus  by Jeff Guinn.  This is an amazing holiday book that not only is fun, but gives great historical background into many of the traditions of the season..  Very difficult to put down too.

Brad

With purpose and on purpose
New User
profilerSR
0 Kudos

I checked out The Autobio of Santa Claus and it looks great! I'm getting it!

I have enjoyed the sci-fi Christmas short story collection by Connie Willis called Miracle and other stories.  She also has a novella called All Seated On the Ground which just came out last Christmas. I don't see many Christmas stories in the sci-fi genre and have found these to be really unique.

Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

There is another one by Jeff Guinn that looked good, called "How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas".  I ordered it and am looking forward to reading it.

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney