Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt

Home for the Holidays Anthology Q&A w/Becke and visit with the authors!!!

[ Edited ]

Home for the Holidays  Well today is a special post, it's a Q&A by our very own Lovely, talented moderator of Mystery Becke Davis.

Plus for your added enjoyment Becke will be visiting to chat with you all, she's invited her author co-conspirators to visit too.

So enjoy the Q&A, buy the book and welcome all the guest authors here and give them all the General Fiction cheer I know you all have to share. And remember the proceeds of this book go to charity, find out more below.

Q&A w/ Becke Martin (Davis)
Home for the Holidays Anthology

Debbie - Becke, thank you for being our featured author. Thank you for inviting the other authors to visit.

Becke-Thank you for being such a gracious hostess, Debbie!

Tell us about the book.

HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS is an anthology of short stories with a common theme of Christmas romance. The stories range from poignant to humorous, contemporary tales to time travel and even a vampire story.

Tell us about the charities the sales are benefiting.

The profits from the anthology sales benefit the Ohio Valley Romance Writers chapter http://ovrwa.com/. We keep our membership costs low and nearly all workshops are free to members. The profits will help us provide future writers workshops  – the chapter pays the plane fare, hotel costs and speaker fees for guest authors and other speakers. The profits from the book will help defray those costs.

In 2012 we’ve had workshops presented by Alicia Rasley, Deb Dixon, Adam Firestone, Darynda Jones, Jules Bennett, Cinda Williams, Lani Diane Rich (aka Lucy March) and (coming up in December) author Monica Burns.

Tell us about your particular story in the anthology.

I have three stories in the anthology – two have appeared online before, but one – “Christmas at Coventry Arcade” – is brand new. (Thanks to Sienna Condy for critiquing that story.) We have an OVRWA tradition – every year at our annual Christmas party, members are encouraged to write Christmas stories to read aloud at the party. All three of my stories started out that way. “Coventry Arcade” is an homage to “The Gift of the Magi,” by one of my favorite authors, O. Henry.

“Triple Trouble on Christmas Eve” was written purely for fun. Some years ago we lived in a town where there were a lot of triplets. (Must have been something in the water...) My grandmother was a twin, so multiples have always fascinated me. And there’s magic in three’s, so they say...

When I wrote “Silver and Gold,” I was working with Michelle Buonfiglio at her Romance B(u)y the Book blog (RBTB - which has since gone on permanent hiatus). I asked Michelle if she would check out the story, and she generously edited it for me AND featured it on RBTB. I am very thankful for her editing skills. All my stories are better for the input of my longtime critique partners Rosie Murphy and Keri Stevens. I’m thankful for all the critique partners who’ve helped me!

How is your writing coming along?

I’m embarrassed to say I’ve been a total slacker this year. We moved from a big house in Cincinnati, where we lived for almost 20 years, to a 2-bedroom condo in Chicago.  Clearing out the old house took over my life for several months, and then unpacking and organizing the new place took awhile. I’m now babysitting for my 4-month-old granddaughter every day, and I haven’t found a way yet to write and amuse a teething baby at the same time. I’ll figure it out – plus, I’m hoping letting my stories simmer for awhile will improve them! I’m eager to dig in and get back to work. Lots of stories waiting to be revised and/or completed! Also, I’ve got to get on the ball because we have more OVRWA anthologies planned. The next one will feature steamier stories – our chapter includes some masters of erotica!  

You are a published author in gardening and are trying your hand at fiction.
What advice would you give to an aspiring novelist?

Write, write, write – when I’m on track, I aim to write at least 1,000 words a day, a goal I’ve totally missed in recent months. Also, learn your craft. When I first started garden writing, I joined Garden Writers of America and attended many horticultural trade shows. When I started tackling fiction, I joined Sisters in Crime and Romance Writers of America, and I try to get to at least a couple conferences every year. Joining the Ohio Valley Chapter of RWA was one of the smartest decisions I ever made. I met my main critique partners there (others I met through Jennifer Crusie’s Cherry Forum).

Through my involvement with Romance University, RBTB and social media sites, I’ve met many of my favorite authors. You can learn as much from talking to published authors as you can from taking classes and workshops. Read books on writing craft, listen to your critique partners – but, mainly, keep writing. I’m guilty of not giving my writing priority status this year. Sometimes life gets in the way of the best laid plans. I haven’t given up on my writing, just set it aside so I can focus on something equally important – her name is Adaline!

Now for a bit of personal. Tell us about being a first time Grandma.

My darling redheaded granddaughter was born in August – she was the main reason we made the move to Chicago. It’s my hometown and we have a lot of relatives in the area, but my husband and I fell in love with Hyde Park when my son started at the University of Chicago. I stayed up here for a month last summer, taking care of my grand-dog, Winston (a Cavalier King Charles spaniel) while my son and his wonderful fiancée went on a 7,000 mile road trip. I loved it here and my husband and I both like city living. When we found out we were going to be grandparents, that settled it! They needed a babysitter (Adaline’s mom works for Teach for America and my son is in grad school), and I was eager to step up to the plate. Every day is fun when a smiling baby greets you every morning!

Becke, thank you for chatting with us, for answering my questions and for inviting the other authors to chat with us too. Good luck with the Anthology and Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Debbie, you know I love to chat – I hope we can meet up in person before too long! I’m sure I’ll have laryngitis before the day is out!

Be sure and visit Becke at her mystery forum at B&N.com right here, where she always has lots going on. Becke’s website is here: http://www.beckemartin.com/

Thanks, Debbie – the B&N blogs and forums are a great place to meet other book lovers, and lots of authors, too! One thing I should mention - your to-be-read pile will grow a lot when you find all the great books others are reading. It’s a hard life, reading all those books, but someone has to do it! ;-)

Thanks so much for sharing the news of the OVRWA Christmas anthology. It’s a fabulous chapter, with many established authors and – very exciting! – lots of authors who have made their first sales this year!

Check out our published authors here: http://ovrwa.com/category/authors/

And our RWA-PRO authors here (PRO status means we’ve completed at least one book and had it rejected): http://ovrwa.com/category/pro/

Here are some important links:

HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS  

In paperback

For Nook

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Home for the Holidays Anthology Q&A w/Becke and visit with the authors!!!

Debbie - Thank you so much for featuring the Ohio Valley Romance Writers Anthology!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Becke, you're welcome.

Can you tell us what led to the anthology?

Is this something the Ohio chapter does every year?

becke_davis

dhaupt wrote:

Becke, you're welcome.

Can you tell us what led to the anthology?

Is this something the Ohio chapter does every year?

The chapter, which celebrated its 25th anniversary last year, published an anthology several years ago. It was a success, and several of the authors of the first anthology have gone on to find success. We plan to publish another anthology next spring, too!

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Becke & Deb,

The book looks like it is a wonderful collection.  A great book to keep by the bed for a light read before going to sleep. :-)  I wish you great success with this anthology and with the Ohio Romance Writer's Association.

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Becke & Deb,

The book looks like it is a wonderful collection.  A great book to keep by the bed for a light read before going to sleep. :-)  I wish you great success with this anthology and with the Ohio Romance Writer's Association.

Muse

Thank you! I hope some of the members of OVRWA will be able to sign in and comment - the gnomes are going strong today!

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Becke, Congrats on the Anthology. I must get to it. I do so want to read it. I bought and have it on my nook.

I will look forward to the next one in the spring.

So glad that you got your story published.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

Becke, Congrats on the Anthology. I must get to it. I do so want to read it. I bought and have it on my nook.

ReadingPatti

Thanks, Patti! I love short stories - reading them AND writing them - but I won't be satisfied until I can complete a book and sell it. I've completed several stories - getting them "right" is more complicated. That's soooo hard!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

ReadingPatti wrote:

ReadingPatti

Thanks, Patti! I love short stories - reading them AND writing them - but I won't be satisfied until I can complete a book and sell it. I've completed several stories - getting them "right" is more complicated. That's soooo hard!

Becke, I have every faith that you will sell a novel. I've read your work and it's a stand out, it's just a shame that you'd have to become published in a publishing time when that's a challenge in itself even for multi-published authors

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

ReadingPatti wrote:

ReadingPatti

Becke, I have every faith that you will sell a novel. I've read your work and it's a stand out, it's just a shame that you'd have to become published in a publishing time when that's a challenge in itself even for multi-published authors

Debbie - I really appreciate your support and encouragement, but I'm not letting myself off the hook. In some ways, this is a great time for authors, because self-publishing is a legitimate option now, and ebooks have opened all kinds of doors. But I'm stubbornly holding out for a traditional sale, so I need to polish my stories so they can compete in a tough market. Wish me luck!