Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

How do you choose what to read?

We all talk about our huge "to be read" piles of books, and publishing companies certainly work hard to sell their books to us, so what is it that finally makes you plunk down your hard-earned cash?

Stephanie
Contributor
hestia
0 Kudos

Re: How do you choose what to read?

I choose with the amount of time I have and whats going on in my life. I know I'm supposed to read Water for Elephants, but my schedule says, lets just catch up on any YA books that need to be read.

“My only advice is to stay aware, listen carefully and yell for help if you need it.”

Judy blume
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Oh Hestia,  read Water for Elephants.  You will love it, and you will fly through it- it's that good.  

What YA are you reading?  I love YA. 

Stephanie
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

I'm very much a "mood reader" . Sometimes I'm in the mood for historical fiction, sometimes nonfiction, sometimes a mystery, etc. I tend to acquire books that snag my interest, then into the TBR they go, until one day when I'm searching for my next read and one calls out to me.

No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

What makes me "plunk down" my money, is a story by one of my favorite authors...and sometimes a story by a new novelist.  My favorites are expanding, gradually, over the years.

I've had a list ongoing, this past year.  I took my list to B&N this week, with one additional book which was intended to be a gift for my sister-in-laws birthday.  They are here this week, visiting.  Unfortunately, I had the wrong title written down, now I have to make another trip back to get it.

I took my list in hand, and proceeded to B&N.  As soon as I walked in the door, I saw (right in front of me) a brand new novel by Anita Diament, Day After Night!   I had to have it!  I grabbed it up....it wasn't on my list.  I then proceeded to the areas of these other authors....I couldn't find them.  Asking the customer service guy, he found the Sue Monk Kidd book,  Traveling With Pomegranates, a mother-daughter story.  The next was Lisa Tucker's latest, The Promised World. And also on my list was Silas House, not yet released, Eli The Good.  This is all in addition to books coming in the mail this week.

I'm also a mood reader, I gather up all of my authors (as friends) and place them where I can see them...whatever my mood, I know I can count on these authors to fulfill my needs.

Two days ago, I finished reading Lisa's book....this one was different from all of her others, although all of her books take me into characters that have something to say to me....this book delved into the darker sides of human nature.   It was about love and hate; about loss and gain;  searching, mental illness, misunderstandings, writing, reading, all complex relationships thrown into a complex story.  So well written.  I wrote to her as soon as I finished reading, and told her my thoughts on this book.  She wrote back, and gave me the most heart felt thanks, totally getting what I was saying...she's a writer, and a reader, who I have no trouble seeing clearly.

I am having  trouble deciding which book to read next,  or which book will choose me.... I'm still reading VW's, Moments Of Being....off and on....and I still have a pile of books not yet read....I just added more to my dilemma.  After reading two very intense books, a month long discussion on Shandi Mitchell's, Under This Unbroken Sky, (a must read for everyone who loves BRILLIANT writing) and Lisa's.... back to back, I'm ready for something fun...I know Anita's book will be beautiful, as usual, and Sue's book, as always, but I'm just not in the mood to think beyond what I want to eat for dinner, while I'm still digesting these two books......maybe some  mindless TV is next on my agenda?

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Kathy,

So much of what you wrote rings true with me as well-  I also gravitate to my favorite authors although that group grows exponentially by the week!  I have a to-be-read pile of sorts, mostly in my mind, as I read what I buy when I buy it fairly quickly.  Then I fuss over what to do with it -these days the small house and the overcrowded bookshelf preclude me from doing too much hoarding. 

Like you, even though I have finishd reading the book, I'm not ready to stop visiting with those characters and scenes inside my head, and it's too soon for another weighty tome.   So, mindless TV is always an option (used often as a sleep-aid) and so is a good cop story or mystery that is completely plot-driven.   Those don't tend to stick to my gray matter in quite the same way.

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

I like a variety of books.  I think it really depends on what I am doing at the time and how I am feeling.  I went back to school after many years and I work a full time job.  I pick a book that will help me to relax or take me somewhere else and then I can concentrate on other things.  My TBR pile consists of mysteries, historical fiction, spiritual books and the such.  My husband started me on books from Authors from different countries. The history of these places are fascinating to me.  I am really starting to like those.

liz

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
KathyS
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Kathy,

So much of what you wrote rings true with me as well-  I also gravitate to my favorite authors although that group grows exponentially by the week!  I have a to-be-read pile of sorts, mostly in my mind, as I read what I buy when I buy it fairly quickly.  Then I fuss over what to do with it -these days the small house and the overcrowded bookshelf preclude me from doing too much hoarding. 

Like you, even though I have finishd reading the book, I'm not ready to stop visiting with those characters and scenes inside my head, and it's too soon for another weighty tome.   So, mindless TV is always an option (used often as a sleep-aid) and so is a good cop story or mystery that is completely plot-driven.   Those don't tend to stick to my gray matter in quite the same way.

Stephanie,

Yesterday, the UPS guy dropped off Dan Brown's novel, The Lost Symbol, to my back door.  At first I wasn't going to read it, until I finished one of these other books I'd just purchased....but it kept calling me..."Kathy, you've got to read me, FIRST!"....I resisted for half a day...then couldn't stand it any longer, and gave into it's calling!  See, I told you books call my name!  His books don't draw me in, emotionally...just physically....plot driven, as you say, and keeps me there until I've finished reading...five hundred pages worth of, hopefully, pure fun.  :smileyhappy:  I don't belabor all of the symbolism, I leave that to the experts!  (actually, I've already done my research, after the last brouhaha....)

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

(nodding head) Definitely what I'm in the mood for decides what I'm reading at the time.

There are some books you get lost in, some you rip though. But most I'll read a bit, mood changes I'll go do something else. When I come back to reading I'll pick a book that fits the current mood. It won't necessarily be what I was reading last.

So yes that means I got 2 different TBR piles, one's just a TBFinished pile.

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

Hi TiggerBear,

I have two piles as well... :smileysurprised:)

My mood changed last night and I put down the book, Death with Interruptions by Jose Saramago and started reading, Dog Day by Alicia Gimenez-Bartlett - a mystery.  So far it's pretty good.  I will finish the other one eventually.  :smileysurprised:)

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

Kathy,

Good for you. I never got into the Dan Brown books even though I saw both movies.  I am waiting for the first read book called, Postmistress.  It sounds intriguing.

liz

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

What I read is a seasonal kind of thing... I'm a professional violinist and play lots of classical music. Currently I'm in the middle rehearsing Rachmaninoff's "Isle of the Dead".  Not very cheerful.

So I gravitate to cheerful novels to lighten my spirits. Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum is great for pulling me out of the dumps.

Or I immerse myself in literary masterpieces where time slows down... like Dickens or George Elliot.

In the summer, there are no hectic crazed practice sessions, and my time is my own. This is when I inhale all sorts of dark, morbid mysteries... like Michael Connelly and Val McDermid.

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
KathyS
0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:

What I read is a seasonal kind of thing... I'm a professional violinist and play lots of classical music. Currently I'm in the middle rehearsing Rachmaninoff's "Isle of the Dead".  Not very cheerful.

So I gravitate to cheerful novels to lighten my spirits. Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum is great for pulling me out of the dumps.

Or I immerse myself in literary masterpieces where time slows down... like Dickens or George Elliot.

In the summer, there are no hectic crazed practice sessions, and my time is my own. This is when I inhale all sorts of dark, morbid mysteries... like Michael Connelly and Val McDermid.

Hi, IBIS...you're playing "isle of the Dead", and I've tried three times to read Patricia Cornwell's, Book of the Dead...I keep putting it down, to read something a little more uplifting, myself.  I love Janet's Plum books...I was pacing the floor this week, wanting to read one, but I've read them all!

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hi Kathy

The wonderful thing about Janet E. is that she's a fast writer! There isn't a long wait between books! And, maybe my memory is going, but I reread them often.... and it's only when I'm at the end that I remember how it ended!

I used to love Patricia Cornwell, but I can't get into a comfortable rhythm with her latest novels. I'm not sure why. 

KathyS wrote:
Hi, IBIS...you're playing "isle of the Dead", and I've tried three times to read Patricia Cornwell's, Book of the Dead...I keep putting it down, to read something a little more uplifting, myself.  I love Janet's Plum books...I was pacing the floor this week, wanting to read one, but I've read them all!

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:

Hi Kathy

The wonderful thing about Janet E. is that she's a fast writer! There isn't a long wait between books! And, maybe my memory is going, but I reread them often.... and it's only when I'm at the end that I remember how it ended!

I used to love Patricia Cornwell, but I can't get into a comfortable rhythm with her latest novels. I'm not sure why. 

KathyS wrote:

Similar for me too, stopped reading her stuff a few books back, when all I wanted to do was take a shotgun to the protagonist and her supporting cast. When you start routing for the bad guy it's time to move on to another mystery author.

Joke around town (I live in the vicinity of Richmond) is "see she moved out of Richmond and her books go to pot.".  Local book sellers have started to under stock her, when formerly when her newest was out you could walk into a book store and not literally trip over them.

dhaupt

Stephanie wrote:

We all talk about our huge "to be read" piles of books, and publishing companies certainly work hard to sell their books to us, so what is it that finally makes you plunk down your hard-earned cash?

There are a few definite reasons I buy a book:

1- I'm trying to support a certain author that I think highly of

2-A book I've been waiting for release date of, either because I know the author, it's the next in a series etc...

3-A book recommended by someone on one of these boards, other boards I visit or friends.

4-Buying a book for a gift

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Kathy, I know what you mean about Dan Brown's new book, I'm picking it up after work tonight and I already know that it will be read before I finish what I'm reading now. I'll probably be reading it at stop signs on the way home.:smileyhappy:

B&N Bookseller
melissas

There are so many factors that go into choosing what I read/buy.

First, there are my favorite authors and series that always get read when a new release is published.

Then, of course, there is my mood. Most of the time I just want to read fiction and escape, but sometimes I want a good true story to fill the void.

I always read Ingram Advance Magazine and The Book Report at work so I know if there's anything out of my genre I'd like to look into.

Plus, I can't forget word of mouth. Working in a bookstore, I am constantly surrounded by people looking to put their two cents in about a book they just read (I am one of them!).

I feel lucky enough to say that time is pretty much never a factor. I am able to work just about anything into my work schedule and the few social obligations I have. Unfortunately, there still never is enough time...

Correspondent
Permacav50

My to read pile is so random even I don't know how exactly certain books end up in it. I read a wide variety of books everything from sci-fi/fantasy to history/science. I do have favorite authors/series so I do religiously pick up their new books as they come out but often times it's a snowball effect when picking up other books. A topic caught my eye so I picked up a book on it, thought it was interesting and wanted to know more. Then those books mention other topics in the chapters or in the bibliographies and I want to know more about that.

Just a simple conversation with someone else can lead to a lot of new book wants. Or a night when your bored and you have nothing to do so you search online for random things you haven't thought of for years and decide to pick up a book about it. Some nights spent in bookstores after picking up what I came for I had time to kill so I browsed around and some random title caught my eye. After reading the synopsis and having a few bucks to spare I bought it on impulse. Or something as simple as a e-mail from B&N or amazon with recommendations has lead to good reads.

Something like this anyway i'm sure you get the idea. :smileyhappy:

KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TiggerBear wrote:

IBIS wrote:

Hi Kathy

KathyS wrote:

Similar for me too, stopped reading her stuff a few books back, when all I wanted to do was take a shotgun to the protagonist and her supporting cast. When you start routing for the bad guy it's time to move on to another mystery author.

Joke around town (I live in the vicinity of Richmond) is "see she moved out of Richmond and her books go to pot.".  Local book sellers have started to under stock her, when formerly when her newest was out you could walk into a book store and not literally trip over them. 

TB, I'm three books behind on Cornwell's series....I keep hoping I won't have to borrow your shotgun!  For myself!  :smileyvery-happy:

I think the dark side is taking over, and ruling Cornwell's characters!  Scarpetta has been on the body farm much too long!  I keep looking for the end of the tunnel, hoping for a glimmer of light....any light, even if it's a flame of a candle, I'll take it !  Her writing is still good, even though she had that monsterous flop a few summers ago....I can't remember the title, now...I think I blocked it out....I'm sure Stephanie remembers that one!  A new series Cornwell thought she'd try...She got the GONG on that one.

I've plowed through 75 boring pages of DB's new book...., page 76, it's finally picking up a pace.  Now, if I can quit stumbling over his redundant adjectives.......I don't know, maybe it has something to do with being sick this week....ever feel like your eyeballs were going to explode....along with your head?  But, dying is not an option, I have to finish this book, if it kills!  Wait, I think that's an oxymoron!  I wonder if that's better than a redundant adjective?