Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Thriller-Writer
0 Kudos

How to Emphasize Words in Fiction

After I published my first book, I realized that I might have made a format mistake. As I sit here working on editing the second, I’ve been wondering how to emphasize words, because I tend to (or, quite frankly, I do it a little more often than most writers probably do) Italicize words to put emphasis on them. Such examples include the following:

1. . If anything, they need to be nervous around you.”
  2. “Yeah, I guess. Must just be the timing. It’s just weird; the one time she’s sick is the day after all of that happened…”

In many instances it makes sense, at least in terms of when I do it. (Another example…completely unintentional.) Any thoughts?

Frequent Contributor
EinsteinPD
0 Kudos

Re: How to Emphasize Words in Fiction

To try to determine if you should emphasize certain words, you can try reading the material outloud without and with emphasis on the words. Emphasis usually takes the place of increased loudness when speaking. The degree of loudness is usually something like this:

1. Underline slightly raised voice..

2. Italics raised voice.

3. Boldface loud voice.

4. ALL CAPS yelling.

5. ALL CAPS and in red, loud yelling.

You can also emphasize by indicating importance, using very meaningful words, etc. "Listen this is important, listen damn you, listen etc."

One can over or under emphasize. Usually emphasis is used repeatedly only for strong emotion. Over use fatigues the reader. Use only as much as warranted.

Hope this helps.

The following book illustrates my use of emphasis. It is my best seller.

JTR-SH cover.jpg