dhaupt

I'm Thankful For ________________

I can't believe it but it's that time of year already time to give thanks time for celebrating and time for reflection for the year past.

What are you thankful for this year.

Me, I'm thankful for my family, my health (especially mental) :-) and I'm thankful for the reception I've gotten here on the General Fiction board since July, I'm thankful for my friends both those I know personally and those who have become friends here and on other sites. I'm thankful that whenever I close a novel there's another one waiting to be read, I'm thankful I have a job, a roof over my head and enough food to eat and I'm thankful for those who provide for those who don't.

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Re: I'm Thankful For ________________

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone -

I'm thankful that Debbie was so eloquent and said all the things that I am thankful for, as well.

I'm also wishing all my friends here on the B&N Book Club a happy, healthy and safe Thanksgiving....

Anne:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

I'm thankful I have so much to be thankful for.  As I said about a particularly upsetting situation these past few weeks, how fortunate I am to be able to have such troubles as much as I don't want the difficulties! lol   Pepper

Happy Thanksgiving

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

I'm always thankful for the health and safety of my family.  In my mind, if you have that, you've been blessed many times over.

I am thankful to live in a time and place where I have access to so many wonderful books and can chat with readers all over the world about them.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Correspondent
AlmH
0 Kudos

finding this Barnes & Nobles Community... As they say, better late than never...  :smileyhappy: http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/userprofile.aspx?bnit=H

eBooks by Alm Hlgh

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=book&ATH=Alm+Hlgh
dhaupt
0 Kudos

AlmH wrote:

finding this Barnes & Nobles Community... As they say, better late than never...  :smileyhappy: http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/userprofile.aspx?bnit=H

Thanks Alm, I'm glad you found us too, and it's never too late :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

I'm thankful for the extra time I've had to enjoy my new ebooks this year.  I am thankful for the mild winter we've had where I live.  I'm thankful for my family, friends and pets and all the love we share in our various relationships.  I'm thankful for the no-slip headbands my husband bought me today (seriously, it's nice to have another option to get my hair out of my face).  And I am also thankful for all the baby dust that was apparently sprinkled on my friends over the past year (3 new babies and 2 more on the way) and I hope some of it gets sprinkled on me this year too.  :smileyhappy:  

Spelling is for "loosers."
http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/
dhaupt
0 Kudos

SandraPants wrote:

I'm thankful for the extra time I've had to enjoy my new ebooks this year.  I am thankful for the mild winter we've had where I live.  I'm thankful for my family, friends and pets and all the love we share in our various relationships.  I'm thankful for the no-slip headbands my husband bought me today (seriously, it's nice to have another option to get my hair out of my face).  And I am also thankful for all the baby dust that was apparently sprinkled on my friends over the past year (3 new babies and 2 more on the way) and I hope some of it gets sprinkled on me this year too.  :smileyhappy:  

Sandra, what great thoughts you had here, first I'd like to request you send some of that mild winter my way, we've been hit by storm after storm. When it's not snowing it's freezing rain, it took me two hours to make my usual 40 min commute today YUCK

And I also hope that the baby dust finds you. My baby will be 31 this year and she's still my heart, (shhh - don't tell her dad that, he still thinks he is, well he is but you know what I mean) :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

Thanks Debbie and I hope your winter gets a little easier for you!  :smileyhappy:

Spelling is for "loosers."
http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

It's Valentine's Day!  It's a day of love, flowers, candy, cards, and lots of chocolate!!!! RIGHT, not at my house!  For years I let myself get upset and sulk because my husband didn't "remember" to buy me the requisite candy, card, chocolate.....whatever.

FINALLY, thirty some odd years down the road, I (yes, that is ME) have woke up and smelled those missing roses.  Okay, Mr. Right doesn't buy me roses, cards or even chocolate.  BUT maybe I need to take a step back and re-think this Valentine thing out.

This year, probably for the first time ever, I didn't worry about Valentine's Day.  To be honest, we had been so busy and with no stores around, had forgotten that it was coming up.  Much to my surprise, at noon my hubby surprised me with an afternoon drive, away from the lodge, and back up into the mountains to see a covered bridge (I love taking pictures) and to see the site of the first Civil War land battle. -- Nope, no chocolate, but a six hour leisurely date driving through fabulous scenery  that we had not previously seen.  We went one way and returned another, scooting home with snow chasing us the last 30 miles of the way.

Did I miss the chocolate and flowers?  NO!  I have memories of an afternoon of laughter and smiles of exploration and sharing that have a longevity that won't be found in the fleeting life of roses in winter.  Nor did I miss the chocolate --- I definitely don't miss the extra inches on my lower extremities....okay, okay we stopped at Wally World on the way home and picked up some chocolate for this chocoholic....not because it was Valentine's Day, though, I was just hungry for chocolate.

What am I thankful for ---- in February?  I am thankful that I have a husband who loves me, inspite of me being cantankerous because:

• we have been cabin bound for 2 months, 
  • I am now going through the throes of the BIG M, and 
  • I just have not been my normal genial self for the last three or four months.

I am thankful that he is long-suffering and patient and still passes out hugs on a regular basis.  But most of all, I am thankful that I have someone who loves me as deeply as I love him.

I hope you someone to be as thankful for this Valentine's Day

Mtn Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Thank you, MM, for letting me witness what love is about!  Sounds wonderful.

I'm thankful for the love of my kids and grandkids, and friends, and I'm thankful that I can return that love.

Today was a day of remembrance for me.  I attended a memorial for a dear lady and friend.  It was held at the college, in the ceramic's studio, where our small community of potters gathered to write our thoughts for her husbands memory book, and say our good-byes to someone  who we will never forget.  A lot of tears, a lot of smiles and laughter, a lot of hearts opened up to feelings of love to share.  It all filled the air.  Happy Valentine's day, dear Helen....we'll miss you.

Kathy 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Well Muse, you've just brought tears to my eyes and let me finally forgive my other half for the lawn mower he gave me one Valentine's Day (true story).

But when it comes right down to it, how right you are. The memories are what are so precious and time so fleeting that we all need to take a step back and remember that it really is the thought that counts.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story with us Mr. Muse is a very fortunate man and you my friend are a fortunate woman.

Happy V-Day!!!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Thank you, MM, for letting me witness what love is about!  Sounds wonderful.

I'm thankful for the love of my kids and grandkids, and friends, and I'm thankful that I can return that love.

Today was a day of remembrance for me.  I attended a memorial for a dear lady and friend.  It was held at the college, in the ceramic's studio, where our small community of potters gathered to write our thoughts for her husbands memory book, and say our good-byes to someone  who we will never forget.  A lot of tears, a lot of smiles and laughter, a lot of hearts opened up to feelings of love to share.  It all filled the air.  Happy Valentine's day, dear Helen....we'll miss you.

Kathy 

Kathy, that was great to add to a memory book, we all know that it's the people left behind who are the real sufferers and it's great that you all were able to be together to remember your friend. 

My heart goes out to you, her friends and her family and I hope your gathering brought some comfort to all.

Wordsmith
Runnergirl77

Okay, I'm a little late here, as I JUST found my way to the bookclubs from the Nook Boards...

We recently lost my Dad, and while I am miss him greatly, this event got me thinking about what he shared with the family.  One of the things that Dad instilled in me is a "love of reading".  It was more than just being a reader himself.

During the summer months and at least once a month during the school year, he would take me to the public library.

Sundays ALWAYS involved going to Marshall's News Store after church.  There I was always allowed to choose at least one or two books, each and every week.

Best of all, when the Scholastic Book order came around school each month, I was allowed to order as many titles as I wanted.  The catch (and you know that there had to be one, both for this and the books from the news store) was that I had to have read the novels that I had already purchased the time before.  What a great incentive to read, read, read.

So while I was thinking back on what I had to remind myself of my father, I realized that the greatest thing wasn't something that I could put on a shelf, wear, admire, or store in a box.  It was an appreciation for the written word, and no matter what happens to me from here, that will ALWAYS be with me.  I am very thankful for that and the years spent with my Father, reading in the living room.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Runnergirl77 wrote:

Okay, I'm a little late here, as I JUST found my way to the bookclubs from the Nook Boards...

We recently lost my Dad, and while I am miss him greatly, this event got me thinking about what he shared with the family.  One of the things that Dad instilled in me is a "love of reading".  It was more than just being a reader himself.

During the summer months and at least once a month during the school year, he would take me to the public library.

Sundays ALWAYS involved going to Marshall's News Store after church.  There I was always allowed to choose at least one or two books, each and every week.

Best of all, when the Scholastic Book order came around school each month, I was allowed to order as many titles as I wanted.  The catch (and you know that there had to be one, both for this and the books from the news store) was that I had to have read the novels that I had already purchased the time before.  What a great incentive to read, read, read.

So while I was thinking back on what I had to remind myself of my father, I realized that the greatest thing wasn't something that I could put on a shelf, wear, admire, or store in a box.  It was an appreciation for the written word, and no matter what happens to me from here, that will ALWAYS be with me.  I am very thankful for that and the years spent with my Father, reading in the living room.

Runnergirl -- thank you for sharing.  Blessings on your memories.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Runnergirl77 wrote:

Deb what great memories of your dad and his commitment to your family by instilling the love of reading and you're so right that was a great incentive to read.

I know how hard it is to loose someone you adore and cherish as much as you obviously did your dad. I lost mine a while ago and the wound is still fresh even after all these years.

Thank you for sharing, you brought a smile to me on this gloomy morning.

shadowcat80

I'm very thankful of my family.  My Mom and my sister are both close with me.  I am thankfull for my scholarship that letting me go to college, I am thankful that my Mom got me a Nook for christmas, and I also very thankful for finding the forum which has been very informative and enjoyable experience.

Stephanie

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:

I'm very thankful of my family.  My Mom and my sister are both close with me.  I am thankfull for my scholarship that letting me go to college, I am thankful that my Mom got me a Nook for christmas, and I also very thankful for finding the forum which has been very informative and enjoyable experience.

Stephanie

Stephanie, I'm so glad that you received a scholarship which are increasingly more difficult to come by now so that tells me that you are very deserving of it. I'm also thankful that you've found us and even more that we've found you as you add much to our little forum here as do all of the members.

Thank You!

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

shadowcat80 wrote:

Stephanie

Stephanie, I'm so glad that you received a scholarship which are increasingly more difficult to come by now so that tells me that you are very deserving of it. I'm also thankful that you've found us and even more that we've found you as you add much to our little forum here as do all of the members.

Thank You!

Yeah I know I'm blessed, I have to work hard to keep it though, my grades have to be a B average GPA at all times, I also have to reapply after every year but, I've been told by my advisor its not a big deal unless you lose the scholarship due to grades or other requirements, like if you violate the university's rules like persay if you cheat on a test or you do a bad research paper man that P word escapes me at the time.  You know I bet though anyways if you violate stuff like that you will lose your scholarship.  I won't do anything like that though.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Peppermill
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:
Yeah I know I'm blessed, I have to work hard to keep it though, my grades have to be a B average GPA at all times, I also have to reapply after every year but, I've been told by my advisor its not a big deal unless you lose the scholarship due to grades or other requirements, like if you violate the university's rules like persay if you cheat on a test or you do a bad research paper man that P word escapes me at the time.  You know I bet though anyways if you violate stuff like that you will lose your scholarship.  I won't do anything like that though.

Are you looking for "per se" or perhaps "plagiarism" or both?

Congratulations and good luck!