Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie

Re: book covers

Deb,

that's a wonderful idea!  I'll fly it past the power that be... :smileyhappy:

debbook wrote:
I think we should read the second book for this board and have the author on again!!

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

debbook wrote:

Silent On the Moor 

Silent in the Sanctuary  

We had a lengthy discussion a while back over in paranormal about the current "harlequin" bodice ripper, tattoed back shots, ect.. covers publisher are turning too. Lots and lots of Romance free books getting that look nowadays. Getting downright impossible to tell a book by it's cover.

That's interesting.  I wonder if we should be looking at the publishers these days?

These covers that Deb posted aren't that bad, mainly because a full face, or body, isn't shown.  It merely suggests something.  Deanna's Nicholas Brisbane and Lady Julia, were forces to reckon with....as I drooled my way through that first book!

Stephanie
Scribe
debbook

Re: book neurotics

Do you ever get 3/4 of a way through a good book, then get sad because it's almost over? And you almost don't want to finish it to make it last? I feel like that w/ Valentine.

I haven't finished Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, because once I do, then I won't be able to have any unread Jane Austen.

Any other neurotics like me?

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:

Do you ever get 3/4 of a way through a good book, then get sad because it's almost over? And you almost don't want to finish it to make it last? I feel like that w/ Valentine.

I haven't finished Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, because once I do, then I won't be able to have any unread Jane Austen.

Any other neurotics like me?

No.  Get over it!  :smileyvery-happy:

Just joshing you. How would you feel if the authors were still living?  I can see the difference in that way...

a dead author:  all gone, no more, gone, gone, gone, forever.  I knew someone who kept reading Jane Austen, over and over and over.  I only attempted one of her books, and got bored with it, but it was a boring story to begin with.  I have trouble with the men-women relationships in her dialogue of that period.  Have you taken on the Bronte sisters?

You could attempt to read all of VW's writings and never reach the end to them! 

But I do know what you mean about a good book, or an entertaining book, you want it to last as long as you can.  It's not much different than enjoying whatever you enjoy doing, for the sake of enjoyment...a far cry from a neurotic, unless you want me to cry in my beer over it! Ha!

K.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie

I too am 3/4 through with Valentine, and I feel the same way. Sad to be almost finished with these people I have come to like and feel as if I know.  I'm hoping for a sequel - we'll have to ask Adriana.  Nothing quite like pushy readers!  :smileywink:

I usually feel the same way when I read Maeve Binchy - I hate to have her books end.  Great characters. 

Have you ever read Elizabeth Berg's books?  I'm the same way with those. 

Stephanie
KathyS

Stephanie wrote:

I too am 3/4 through with Valentine, and I feel the same way. Sad to be almost finished with these people I have come to like and feel as if I know.  I'm hoping for a sequel - we'll have to ask Adriana.  Nothing quite like pushy readers!  :smileywink:

I usually feel the same way when I read Maeve Binchy - I hate to have her books end.  Great characters. 

Well, my dear readers, you [we] will be happy to know that this book, Very Valentine, is the first in a trilogy. [read first paragraph on fly of cover] :smileyhappy:

K.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Well, my dear readers, you [we] will be happy to know that this book, Very Valentine, is the first in a trilogy. [read first paragraph on fly of cover] :smileyhappy:

K.

That's what I miss for having the download and not the book. Well now I will be approaching the ending differently. I hope we aren't left hanging though, unless Adriana is a very fast writer.

I like the Brontes, though I never read anything by Anne. And I haven't finished all of Villette, but not because I didn't like it, but because I tend to get distracted during long books and start something else.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I like Elizabeth Berg. I read a  bunch of her books in a row, but haven't read any in awhile. I need to learn to spread out authors I like!

Stephanie wrote:

KathyS
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

K.

That's what I miss for having the download and not the book. Well now I will be approaching the ending differently. I hope we aren't left hanging though, unless Adriana is a very fast writer.

I like the Brontes, though I never read anything by Anne. And I haven't finished all of Villette, but not because I didn't like it, but because I tend to get distracted during long books and start something else.

I've never talked to an author who has written sequels, except  for Deanna, but I didn't think about the questions to ask her.....but my guess is they've already figured their storyline out by the end of the first book,  to the end of the last, and writing is probably non stop, by the time the first one is published, the second one is probably in rewrites, and so forth.  It sounds like this author is noted for her sequels, but we'll just have to wait and ask  Adriana about it...and being left hanging is the most important part, in how you leave the reader! :smileyhappy:  Tickle, tickle, tickle.....

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

K.

Kathy,

You're right, I am happy to hear that - when I finished the book I thought  -I have to read this again.  Now I have a good excuse, I'll reread when the next comes out.

Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

Very Valentine

Stephanie,

Are you going to pin the "First Impressions" thread  of Very Valentine to the top, or are we going to do it ourselves?  It would be nice if it didn't 'float away' into the sunset of lost threads! :smileyhappy:  And could you give us an idea as to when the author is going to join the discussion?  I want to make sure I have a batch of spaghetti, ravioli and garlic bread read to eat!  And a case of wine handy!

Thanks,

Kathy

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine

Kathy,

I floated the thread, I thought I did before, but I guess it didn't take. 

I don't know when the author will be joining in -- soon I hope!

An aside: I made curry (chicken) for dinner tonight, a first for my kids, and they loved it.  Go mom!

Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

Food - In General

[ Edited ]

Stephanie wrote:

Kathy,

An aside: I made curry (chicken) for dinner tonight, a first for my kids, and they loved it.  Go mom!

Sorry,  Stephanie, I guess we crossed paths in posts! I see it now!

Curry chicken...WOW, You go, girl!... what have you been feeding them all this time, canned peas and pasta?! Ha! I like curry, as long as it's not overly seasoned, or the hot curries.

I'm glad they liked it. I'm sure you're a good cook

once you get your nose out of a book! :smileyhappy: 

Did you get it from a recipe, or ad lib?

What's next on the adventurous side of cooking for Stephanie?  Keep us posted!

I used to make  the ingredients for 'oriental burritos', as we called them, for my kids....all the fix'ns... fried rice, stir fried veggies and meats of choice....all seasoned to taste, sometimes curry, sometimes teriyaki. 

I served warm flour tortillas on the side....they'd make their own.  That was waaaay before 'wraps' of any sort came into popularity.  My kids like almost anything....except I have one daughter who refuses to eat peas! My other daughter likes them....although, as a little kid she used to stuff them in her nose when my back was turned.  Don't tell her I told you, if she knew, she'd kill me!  (like you're going to tell her!) :smileyvery-happy: 

What moms say behind their kids' backs! Ha!

Kathy

Message Edited by KathyS on 03-30-2009 07:10 PM
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Kathy,

Stephanie and Kathy,

Do you make rice with your chicken curry??. I love rice with the chicken curry but some folks do not!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Food - in General

[ Edited ]

kiakar wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Kathy,

Stephanie and Kathy,

Do you make rice with your chicken curry??. I love rice with the chicken curry but some folks do not!

Hi Linda!

I don't know about Stephanie, but if there is a sauce involved, I do make rice, or a noodle to go with it....as I sit here listening to my stomach growl, I just took a package of chicken out of the freezer, for dinner tonight!  I'm generally not a straight white rice eater, unless it's a Basmati, or Jasmine rice.  Then it's good with just salt, pepper, and butter. I prefer to make fried rice if I'm making these kinds of dishes. 

I don't know why anyone wouldn't want rice with it, other than the added carb factor, but I go for taste over calories! :smileyvery-happy:  What about you?

Kathy

Message Edited by KathyS on 03-31-2009 11:40 AM
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Yes - rice with the curry.  All in the pot at once, actually. :smileyhappy:

I also made cornbread, but just because I like it so much.  Dinner tonight was at church- soup, salad and sandwiches- lovely to have someone else cook- I'll be sad when our kitchen crew is off for the summer.

Oh - and Kathy - don't you read your book while you're cooking? I thought everyone did!  (Hey, if I could figure out how, I'd read in the shower!)

Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

I also made cornbread, but just because I like it so much.  Dinner tonight was at church- soup, salad and sandwiches- lovely to have someone else cook- I'll be sad when our kitchen crew is off for the summer.

Oh - and Kathy - don't you read your book while you're cooking? I thought everyone did!  (Hey, if I could figure out how, I'd read in the shower!)

Stephanie, 

You mixed your chicken in with the rice?  And you had cornbread with it?  Okaaaaay.

No, I don't do anything while I read, except eat.  The only book I read while cooking is a cookbook!

How in the world can you read and cook at the same time....?  Me, and my hands, are moving all the time!  I'm stirring, chopping, slicing and dicing!   

Never mind, you're the one who reads and drives at the same time! :smileyvery-happy: 

Becke said she wished they made shower lap tops!  I agreed.... Yeah, all our best storylines, and poems, etc.,  come while either in the shower, driving, or laying in bed trying to sleep!  I bought a mini recorder, just to capture those wonderful thoughts while in bed, or driving....it didn't work.  My own voice intimidated me!  Sounds better in my head!

Just don't get too sidetracked while reading, your kids will be eating wall paper paste the next thing you know!  Or do you call it mashed potatoes? Ha!

Kathy

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I love one-pot dishes Stephanie! I read while cooking, I'll go sit down and read while something is cooking on the stove. Unfortunately this has led to some burned food and pans. I really should be supervised when I cook!

Stephanie wrote:

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie

Summer Plans?

I'm wondering what everyone has on their plate for summertime... lying on the beach all day reading good books, then coming into the Fiction club to discuss them, perhaps? :smileyvery-happy:

Seriously - I'm planning on doing some serious reading!  I want to soak up the sun and get lost in some new place.  Any recommendations?

Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

Reading and writing and arithmatic!

Stephanie wrote:

I'm wondering what everyone has on their plate for summertime... lying on the beach all day reading good books, then coming into the Fiction club to discuss them, perhaps? :smileyvery-happy:

Seriously - I'm planning on doing some serious reading!  I want to soak up the sun and get lost in some new place.  Any recommendations?

On my plate?  Probably a BBQd hamburger!  You had to mention summer, didn't you!  We had record breaking heat today...over a hundred!  I was lying on my bed (not the sand) this afternoon, fell asleep, and woke up drenched!  Don't I wish I was at the beach, today!

Serious reading?  Do you mean serious books to read, or seriously going to read every book that comes your way?  You always have books to read! 

Well, if I were to recommend a book of fiction, it would have to be the one I'm reading right now, Kate Morton's the Forgotten Garden! It just came out to the US.  I think you'd love it.  She's one of the best writers in this century....according to me! :smileyhappy:  She knows what to do with words!  She's even written three fairytales into this story.  The characters are solid, taking you from Australia to England... Kate covers over a hundred years of history with these characters (to 2005) You live them, you taste the salt air, and feel their pain and joys.  Was that enough said?

I have Bincy's last two books to catch up on, and Patricia Cornwell's last two, as well....and a dozen other books I've put aside, while trying to write, and finish reading Hermione Lee's 755 page tomb on Virginia Woolf.  I only have a little over 200 pages to go!  It's actually a 893 page tomb, but those last 138 pages are all references! Wonderful book, if anyone is interested in VW.

I have no worries about having a book to read!  I just now ordered two more books...In Sept I'll be getting the new Dan Brown's, The Lost Symbol, along with Exuberance:  The Passion For Life, by Kay Redfield Jamison, PhD. (psychiatry) I'm in no hurry for these, right now!

So, besides the hamburger on my plate, I guess I have a few books, too! :smileyvery-happy:

Kathy 

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie

Re: Reading and writing and arithmatic!

Kathy,

I'm posting the link to your recommendation of

The Forgotten Garden 

I think it sounds fantastic - right up my alley. 

Stephanie