Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Reading and writing and arithmatic!

Stephanie, thanks for posting the link.  I would have done it, but I don't know the secret to getting book links from there, to here.

Of course, you knew Kate Morton was just on Center Stage...last week.....

and I bent her poor ear off!  :smileyhappy:

Stephanie wrote:

Kathy,

I'm posting the link to your recommendation of

The Forgotten Garden 

I think it sounds fantastic - right up my alley. 

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Kathy,

Posting links to books is a snap - just click on the "Add Product" button.  You type in your title, and then you'll have an option of posting just the link, or the link and the image.

Have fun!  I could drive everyone insane using that feature - I love it!

Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Kathy,

Posting links to books is a snap - just click on the "Add Product" button.  You type in your title, and then you'll have an option of posting just the link, or the link and the image.

Have fun!  I could drive everyone insane using that feature - I love it!

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.  Okay, I gave it a shot...it sucks.  Type in Elinor's new book, which I received yesterday, The Family Man, and see what you get.  What's wrong with this B&N program is, it gives you every book but the one you want.  And I don't have time to scroll through the pages to find it. 
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I'm loving House at Riverton, so I'll second The Forgotten Garden

Stephanie wrote:

Kathy,

The Forgotten Garden 

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

Just as a note. 

I don't know if the B&N webpage, where the book is found, allows you to flip open the cover, but if it does, you will see, both front, and back, there is an illustration that is absolutely beautiful, and magical.  I've seen "wallpapers", or colors, on these insides (I forget the name for this part of the book), but never illustrations like these! 

On the face of the dust jacket, where you see the vine going up the edges?  If you look very closely, which you can only do if you're holding the book in your hands, you'll see little fairies flying up to the leaves. 

It's one of the most beautifully designed books I've ever seen.  The color tones are all so perfect. If you can soak all of this in, visually, and feel it, that's what the story feels like when you read Kate's words.

debbook wrote:
I'm loving House at Riverton, so I'll second The Forgotten Garden

Stephanie wrote:

Kathy,

The Forgotten Garden 

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

The Family Man

When you do any kind of a search, the more you limit it, the more accurate it will be.  I searched family man lipman, and her book was the first hit.

Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

book search

[ Edited ]

Stephanie wrote:

The Family Man

When you do any kind of a search, the more you limit it, the more accurate it will be.  I searched family man lipman, and her book was the first hit.

Ah, ha!  That's the secret!  I've usually had to end up typing the author, before I get the right books.  Just typing, The Family Man, (which you would think would bring the title up) got me everything but that title!  Thanks for the lession! :smileyhappy:  Sorry, if I sounded a bit pissy, it's just frustrating being given books I never ask for! 

Speaking of given books I've never asked for...I ordered this book, along with  Silent On the Moor.  Some how I got a double order!  When I looked at the purchase order, I couldn't believe I was being sent two orders of the same books!...separate orders!  How in the world I did that, I have no idea.  I'ts never happened before, but I think, because the Lipman book was a preorder, it was discounted, and I must have reordered it accidentally when I saw this discount.  I honestly don't know.   When the UPS guy knocked on my door, I saw the two boxes in his hand....He said I could refuse one of them if I didn't want it....I did, now I have to figure out how to get it off of my bill!  How do I explain my stupidity? :smileysad:

Message Edited by KathyS on 04-25-2009 08:07 AM
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: book search

Kath,

At this point, I'd look up the contact phone number and just tell the story... I'm sure B&N.com will fix you right up.

Or, you could hang on to the books, and when you need a good gift in future, you'll be all ready.

Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

Thanks, Stephanie.  I emailed the customer service dept. this afternoon, and await their reply.  They did acknowledge my email, though. 

I thought about keeping the books, but decided to give them to the UPS guy, to take back.  I didn't want him to stand there for twenty minutes while I decide who wants these books, and who doesn't.  Although, I mentioned the Lipman book to someone in my ceramic's class this week, and she smiled, and said she remembered the one I had loaned her before.  She did like Elinor!  :smileyhappy:  I told her I'd loan her this one.  I can't read it right now.

I'm sure it will be sorted out.  I don't care if they credit my account, or take it off of my credit card.  I just don't want to be paying for books I don't need.  I don't know what their protocol is, since I've never sent anything back, before.

Kathy

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

The Family Man

Ah, ha!  That's the secret!  I've usually had to end up typing the author, before I get the right books.  Just typing, The Family Man, (which you would think would bring the title up) got me everything but that title!  Thanks for the lession! :smileyhappy:  Sorry, if I sounded a bit pissy, it's just frustrating being given books I never ask for! 

Speaking of given books I've never asked for...I ordered this book, along with  Silent On the Moor.  Some how I got a double order!  When I looked at the purchase order, I couldn't believe I was being sent two orders of the same books!...separate orders!  How in the world I did that, I have no idea.  I'ts never happened before, but I think, because the Lipman book was a preorder, it was discounted, and I must have reordered it accidentally when I saw this discount.  I honestly don't know.   When the UPS guy knocked on my door, I saw the two boxes in his hand....He said I could refuse one of them if I didn't want it....I did, now I have to figure out how to get it off of my bill!  How do I explain my stupidity? :smileysad:

Message Edited by KathyS on 04-25-2009 08:07 AM

I've actually ordered books that I already have. Amazon has this nice feature, where they will tell you that you already purchased it and when. It has saved me many a time. That's when i know I have too many books

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

debbook wrote:
I've actually ordered books that I already have. Amazon has this nice feature, where they will tell you that you already purchased it and when. It has saved me many a time. That's when i know I have too many books

Hi, Deb!  You said the 'A' word!  I had a post removed for saying the 'A' word!  But it sounds like a great feature!  :smileyvery-happy:

I heard back from customer service, today....they're working on it, which will, of course, take weeks before I actually find out where my money went, or didn't went/go. (they hadn't received the books, as we "spoke".  )

Message Edited by KathyS on 04-28-2009 08:10 PM
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: secret shame

Deb - News!  Guess what my husband decided to get for me for Mother's Day? A Kindle2!  I'm really excited about the documents I can load onto it - I read a lot of online docs  - informational texts from literary magazines, scholarly journals, etc., and I don't want to have to print all the time - and reading on the computer screen is not great.  Do you know about Project Gutenberg? Classics online.  

debbook wrote: 
I really like my Kindle, Stephanie. It is handy for many reasons. Having lots of books altogether is nice, but I recently discovered another plus. I rarely buy mass market paperbacks. But I was looking for a mystery book to read and came across one that seemed interesting and downloaded it to my Kindle. I liked it and read the whole thing. After I was done I realized it was published by Harlequin. Now I would never buy anything published by them normally b/c I would think they are crap, usually, and I am somewhat of a book snob. Now I can buy the next book by this author on my kindle, read it in public and no one will ever know! What a perfect way to read secret shame books!

Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

Dorothea Benton Frank Returns with---

Return to Sullivan's Island 

This new novel of Dot's, comes out June 30, 2009.  I pre-ordered it last night.  I can never wait for her next book!

To all who are not familiar with this author, she's special.  The lowcountry at it's best.   She's funny, poignant, her characters and stories are as real as it gets....

Read her very first novel, Sullivans Island, which came out in 2000, before reading Return to Sullivans Island  The same characters return, only they've grown a bit!  Of course, it's been almost ten years, and ten novels later!   I hear she is also starting to write a sequel to Plantation, which was the second of her novels.

The bad thing is, she won't be coming to the west coast!  Where I live!  Her book tour stays on the east coast this year.  Bummer! 

Here is her web site  You can see where she's touring. 

Go see her, she'll jump start your day!  :smileyhappy:

Kathy

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Dorothea Benton Frank Returns with---

I just happened to be on this board,browsing,and happened upon this thread by none other then,Kristina..Really saw DB Frank..OMGoodness   'So ecstatic to see "Return to Sullivans Island"...Top 10 on my list of authors..never thought that a Return To,,would be on her agenda..Danka,and of course" Happy Mom,Mother,Mommy's Day.Awaiting for my Daughter to arrive, ( I hope I got it right ,you are a Mom?)if not.Then Have a Happy Whatever you Want to do Day.   Vtc
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
KathyS
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:
I just happened to be on this board,browsing,and happened upon this thread by none other then,Kristina..Really saw DB Frank..OMGoodness   'So ecstatic to see "Return to Sullivans Island"...Top 10 on my list of authors..never thought that a Return To,,would be on her agenda..Danka,and of course" Happy Mom,Mother,Mommy's Day.Awaiting for my Daughter to arrive, ( I hope I got it right ,you are a Mom?)if not.Then Have a Happy Whatever you Want to do Day.   Vtc

Hi V!  Glad I made your day!  Happy Mother's day to you, too!  Yes, I'm a mother of two daughters...and two grandkids...they'll be arriving soon, as well.

Have a good one... 

Kathy,

aka Kristina...to you. :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

And the astounding news that Dot Frank will join us again. I am so excited!   I can't stand it!

Oh! But I willI will get the book some how even though my book expenditure has had to be shorten a great deal from like a worm to a ant. A correct comparison    by far. See all of you next month if not before. I wanted to read Elinor Lipman's new book since like Dot I have read all of her books but haven't been able to find it in the used bookstores or the library (ok I am 28th on the list I thinkHappy reading to us all.   

KathyS
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

And the astounding news that Dot Frank will join us again. I am so excited!   I can't stand it!

Oh! But I willI will get the book some how even though my book expenditure has had to be shorten a great deal from like a worm to a ant. A correct comparison    by far. See all of you next month if not before. I wanted to read Elinor Lipman's new book since like Dot I have read all of her books but haven't been able to find it in the used bookstores or the library (ok I am 28th on the list I thinkHappy reading to us all.   

Hey, Linda!  Great to see you in this neck of the woods!  I know what you mean about expenditures.  I pre-ordered Elinor's book, (Had to have it!) and it's basically hot off the press, so you probably won't find it too soon as a re-sale, if at all.   It's really a wonderful book!

I've got Dot's on pre-order, it comes out the end of this month....hope to have it by the time we start the discussion.  She'll be on Center Stage next month, too.  We're going to keep her busy...so you'd better be here, or be square!

Happy reading back!

Kathy

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote

Linda,
 As always, lovely to see you!  I know what you mean about book expenditures- I always laugh at my daughter who is most excited to get a Barnes & Noble gift card ... she begsme to go!  
You'll love Elinor's book- I hated to put it down and have reread many chapters since finishing.   

Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Hey, Linda!  Great to see you in this neck of the woods!  I know what you mean about expenditures.  I pre-ordered Elinor's book, (Had to have it!) and it's basically hot off the press, so you probably won't find it too soon as a re-sale, if at all.   It's really a wonderful book!

I've got Dot's on pre-order, it comes out the end of this month....hope to have it by the time we start the discussion.  She'll be on Center Stage next month, too.  We're going to keep her busy...so you'd better be here, or be square!

Happy reading back!

Kathy

I hear you Ms. Kathy S.,  Loud and Clear.   I WILL BE THERE!    See ya at the place to be in July.    Linda

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

kiakar wrote

Linda,
 As always, lovely to see you!  I know what you mean about book expenditures- I always laugh at my daughter who is most excited to get a Barnes & Noble gift card ... she begsme to go!  
You'll love Elinor's book- I hated to put it down and have reread many chapters since finishing.   

I Know I will. I have loved all of her books. She has a way with words. I will get it eventually. I will!  I will!  :smileywink: