Contributor
LeslieR
0 Kudos

If I liked these books, what should I read next???

I am listing some books that I have loved, and if you have loved them and know what else I should read, please tell!

this much I know is true
poisonwood bible
the sparrow (loved it!!!!)
the children of god
wicked
Bee Season
house of sand and fog
angels and demons

(I have read a lot of the above authors' other books, but was not that impressed)

thanks for all suggestions!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: If I liked these books, what should I read next???

What was it you liked about those books? What genres do you like best? I can give you a million suggestions but it would help if I knew more about WHY you liked those particular books.
Contributor
LeslieR
0 Kudos

I guess some info on what I liked about the books would be helpful, huh?!

the sparrow - this book is highest on the list of faves - i loved the merge of sci-fi and spirituality - great characters and I was so wrapped up in the story and couldn't put it down - unknown worlds described and new cultures displayed, etc.

loved children of god and wicked because they tell the flip side of a story - letting you see the other side and allowing you to suspend judgement - very creative?

bee season - again, the story and the characters - the clepto/artist/mother and the emotions of all of the characters. this was our favorite in our book club.

this much I know is true - this was about 100 pages of torture, and then I was sucked in. characters, emotions, daily life and working thru it all. I don't remember why this one was a page turner for me - it was suspensful in a non-action type way???

poisonwood bible - loved the way it was told thru diff viewpoints - and I love a story set in a different culture.

house of sand and fog - again, another culture and two sides of a story

angels and demons - my fave of brown's - the others are good, but this one got me more - not sure why .... but I love the suspense he creates.

the flip side:
J Strange and Dr Norrell - I was so excited when I heard this was a page-turner and when I got it and it was 700+ pages I was thrilled with delight. Unfortunately, it has not been that great for me - slow and really seems to have little drama/action/suspense. But, the author did manage to transport me to a diff time and culture, and that has been nice.

a lot of the author's above's other books just didn't work for me - I don't know what it is about the books above that I liked, but I was hoping if other people liked these as well, and didn't like the others, then they might be able to recommend some other books they liked.

I used to read a lot of Steven King when I was younger, and I loved having an author to follow and avidly wait for the next book. I was hoping the authors above would be that replacement ....

I'm not much in to romance stuff or schmaltzy or mushy or predictable or trite ... but I guess that is all subjective ....

basically, I'm in it for a good story with good characters in an interesting culture with some suspense/action thrown in for good measure. It's always nice to have some 'deep thoughts' in there ... but not at the expense of a good story and some action ...

again, any help appreciated!
peace, love and books,
leslie
Frequent Contributor
Kourt
0 Kudos

I also have enjoyed most of the books you have listed. I was introduced last year to the author Jasper Fforde. He is now among my favorite quick reads. He actually brings to life classic character such as Jane Eyre and Mrs. Havereshim. His main character throughout his first series is a literay detective. His second series is about a detective trying to solve Nursery Crimes. It is quite amusing. Hope this helps.
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Hi Leslie,

I can recommend 3 books (at least!), two of which deal with other cultures.
* Moloka'i by Alan Brennart
* The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
* One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus

I have recommended these to several friends and have not received a bad review. I also
enjoy the Jodi Picoult books. Normally I would never pick up one of her books due to the subject matter often makes me very uncomfortable but they are very well written and I tear right through them. A good one to start with would be A Perfect Match (not to be confused with Picture Perfect.)

Hope this helps!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Try Carter Beats the Devil, I can't remember the author's name, Glen something. I liked that a lot. I recently read The Sidewalk Artist, and enjoyed it -- a fast read. Joy Luck Club is a few years old but was a wonderful story. Have you read anything by Kurt Vonnegut? My favorite was Sirens of Titan. The Girl in Hyacinth Blue was short but very good. Some old classics are wonderful if you haven't read them, and if science fiction interests you. Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Leslie-----For a book like the ones by Dan Brown, you might want to try Map of Bones by James Rollins. Part of description on back cover is---"with the Vatican in turmoil, SIGMA Force leaps into action. An elite team of scientific and Special Forces operatives under the command of Grayson Pierce and accompanied by Lieutenant Rachel Verona of Rome's carabinieri, they are pursuing a deadly mystery that weaves through sites of the Seven Wonders of the World and ends at the doorstep of an ancient, mystical and terrifying secret order."
You might like Alexander McCall Smith's series of books involving The Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency. These take place in Africa.
Also some other ideas are Sue Monk Kidd's Secret Life of Bees and The Mermaid Chair.
Librarian

Message Edited by Librarian on 03-16-200702:25 PM

Contributor
LeslieR
0 Kudos

thank you all so much for the recommendations! I have put the authors and books into my wish list, and I'll start reading them soon!

thanks again,
leslie
New User
lmcfadden7
0 Kudos

I came across your request when looking for if I liked the Poisonwood Bible... I was searching for another book with similar themes and setting after reading it and "Let's Not Go To The Dogs Tonight". If you haven't read this latter story, I highly recommend it. The story of a girls survival in a desolate African setting was very memorable. Very reminiscent of Poisonwood.

Good Luck!
Lorrie
Contributor
ROY99
0 Kudos

Re: If I liked these books, what should I read next??? (Wicked?)

I have Wicked and plan to read it this summer--please give me your thoughts on it.
I've always been a big Wizard of Oz fan--remember looking forward to watching it once a year when it would come to television (am I showing my age?!ha) Now, of course, I have the DVD--it's such a great classic movie. It's one of those movies that makes me grateful for my life ("There's no place like home.") I see Wally Lamb gave it a good review on the back of my copy. My book also has the Reader's Group Guide. I've read She's Come Undone by Lamb and really liked it.

ROY 99
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I think you will really like Wicked. I was in the discussion group lead by the author and really enjoyed it. But don't expect it to be like the other OZ books. It is good all on its own.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
ROY99
0 Kudos

Thanks--I look forward to reading Wicked. Did you decide on a book to read--I saw you put a bunch on your wish list. I'll be beginning Fall on Your Knees with another group later this week. Have you read it? ROY99
New User
mopo722
0 Kudos

LeslieR wrote:
I am listing some books that I have loved, and if you have loved them and know what else I should read, please tell!

this much I know is true
poisonwood bible
the children of god
wicked
Bee Season
house of sand and fog
angels and demons

(I have read a lot of the above authors' other books, but was not that impressed)

The davinchi code the spellings id off but i loved it
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

mopo722 wrote:

LeslieR wrote:

this much I know is true
poisonwood bible
the children of god
wicked
Bee Season
house of sand and fog
angels and demons

The davinchi code the spellings id off but i loved it

O.K. Here goes: Hope some you will enjoy, I have read most of the ones on your list.
The Secret of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd and also I loved her "The Mermaid Chair" which is alot different from the secret of the Bees. But I loved both of them. The Memory Keeper's daughter and The Glass Castle. The Namesake and The Kite Runner. These are just a few of the books I think you would enjoy by your list.
Contributor
solo29
0 Kudos

If you like these books you should REALLY read The Black Tattoo By Sam Enthoven.
Frequent Contributor
meggie
0 Kudos

My favorite books are:

1. The Harry Potter series by J K Rowlling

2.Inkspell and Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

I really,Really,REALLY liked them. Hope you do!
Contributor
Kristen_C
0 Kudos

Two that I can think of off hand about different cultures are The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri and Brick Lane by Monica Ali. I loved both of these, as did most of the members of my book club.

A living author who is exceptional at character development is John Irving. I have loved almost all of his work. He might be your man!

~Kristen
The cottage of content is better than the palace of cold splendor and where love is, all is. ~Charles Dickens in David Copperfield
Contributor
picklesfuller
0 Kudos

Theres a beautiful novel written by Mark Helprin called " A Winters Tale ". Gorgeous prose. If you want something a tad zany you could try Tom Robbins. As far as a wonderful female author goes you could try, Louise Erdrich or Barbara Kingsolver. They both write beautifully.
Contributor
picklesfuller
0 Kudos

Yes yes yes these are fabulous novels. Here are a few of my faves:
A Winters Tale ( Helprin )
Oryx and Crake ( Atwood )
Accordian Crimes ( Proulx )
A Trip To The Stars ( Christopher )
Dark At The Roots ( Thyre ) Non-Fiction
Contributor
picklesfuller
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Try Carter Beats the Devil, I can't remember the author's name, Glen something. I liked that a lot. I recently read The Sidewalk Artist, and enjoyed it -- a fast read. Joy Luck Club is a few years old but was a wonderful story. Have you read anything by Kurt Vonnegut? My favorite was Sirens of Titan. The Girl in Hyacinth Blue was short but very good. Some old classics are wonderful if you haven't read them, and if science fiction interests you. Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS You have picked some of the absolute best books. Carter beats the devil was truly excellent. The author i9s Glen Gold. Have you ever read any Tom Robbins? He is fantastic, a bit kooky, but good.