Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: If I liked these books, what should I read next???

I'm not sure -- what are some of his books?
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Kristen_C wrote:
Two that I can think of off hand about different cultures are The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri and Brick Lane by Monica Ali. I loved both of these, as did most of the members of my book club.

A living author who is exceptional at character development is John Irving. I have loved almost all of his work. He might be your man!

~Kristen

Yes, those two books "the Namesake" and Brick Lane are really good books. Namesake being one of my all time favorites and great books about different cultures.
Contributor
picklesfuller
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I'm not sure -- what are some of his books?

Still Life with Woodpecker, Even Cowgirls Get The Blues, Skinny Legs and All. Really great stuff.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks, I'll check them out.
Frequent Contributor
coreen222
0 Kudos

Re: If I liked these books, what should I read next??? (Wicked?)

ROY99 wrote:
I have Wicked and plan to read it this summer--please give me your thoughts on it.
I've always been a big Wizard of Oz fan--remember looking forward to watching it once a year when it would come to television (am I showing my age?!ha) Now, of course, I have the DVD--it's such a great classic movie. It's one of those movies that makes me grateful for my life ("There's no place like home.") I see Wally Lamb gave it a good review on the back of my copy. My book also has the Reader's Group Guide. I've read She's Come Undone by Lamb and really liked it.

ROY 99

I had a very hard time getting into this book, but once I was in, I was hooked. It is one of the few books that I enjoyed better after I was finished reading it. Because at times it was difficult to get through. The narrative is odd. For most of the book you are not in the head of any character, just sort of watching from above which gave it an air of mystery, but was unsettling at the same time. There is one section of the book where you are inside one character's head, and that was refreshing. As soon as i finished the book I remember feeling uncertain about whether I liked it or not, but I couldn't get it out of my head, and after some time passed I was recommending it to everyone I knew.

As for books I recomend to the OP, I second "The Secret Life of Bees"--it was excellent, and "1000 White Women" was enjoyable. I love everything by Amy Tan. And, I also loved Laura Esquivels "As Swift As Desire". I did not like "The Davinci Code", even though I really wanted to, it just wasn't my type of book. I am definitely more into strong characers than exciting plots.
New User
coplea
0 Kudos

I've also read several of those books and I think I understand the type you are going for. And by the way, I thought the poisonwood bible was fantastic. The character development was in depth and the setting was unique and informative. Ok, so anyway here are some great reads:
1. Saving Fish From Drowning - Amy Tan. Like Poisonwood Bible, the backdrop is international-burma, and the character development is pretty good also. Tan is good at describing emotional conflicts in characters.
2. The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold. Trust me it's great!
3. My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Piccoult. The only Jodi Piccoult I've read, and I couldn't put it down. I've heard they're all fantastic. This one is about a teenage girl who has a sick twin sister and she is constantly having to help her medically because they are twins. It's a heart wrenching book and emotionally impacting.
I hope these help you pick a great summer read!
Frequent Contributor
sparklingblue33
0 Kudos

Hi Leslie. I am always looking for a great read myself...even though I have about 50 books sitting on my book shelf that haven't been opened yet!!

Some of the books that were truly wonderful are:
Pilot's Wife
Snow Falling on Cedars
East of Eden
The Alchemist
Eleven Minutes
Middlesex
Kite Runner
Life of Pi
Rebecca
Crimson Petal and the White
The Coming Storm
Alas, Babylon

And in between these deep dramatic stories I love to read a "chick" book to lighten things up...try anything by Jane Green!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: If I liked these books, what should I read next??? (Wicked?)

coreen222 wrote:

ROY99 wrote:
I have Wicked and plan to read it this summer--please give me your thoughts on it.
I've always been a big Wizard of Oz fan--remember looking forward to watching it once a year when it would come to television (am I showing my age?!ha) Now, of course, I have the DVD--it's such a great classic movie. It's one of those movies that makes me grateful for my life ("There's no place like home.") I see Wally Lamb gave it a good review on the back of my copy. My book also has the Reader's Group Guide. I've read She's Come Undone by Lamb and really liked it.

ROY 99

I had a very hard time getting into this book, but once I was in, I was hooked. It is one of the few books that I enjoyed better after I was finished reading it. Because at times it was difficult to get through. The narrative is odd. For most of the book you are not in the head of any character, just sort of watching from above which gave it an air of mystery, but was unsettling at the same time. There is one section of the book where you are inside one character's head, and that was refreshing. As soon as i finished the book I remember feeling uncertain about whether I liked it or not, but I couldn't get it out of my head, and after some time passed I was recommending it to everyone I knew.

As for books I recomend to the OP, I second "The Secret Life of Bees"--it was excellent, and "1000 White Women" was enjoyable. I love everything by Amy Tan. And, I also loved Laura Esquivels "As Swift As Desire". I did not like "The Davinci Code", even though I really wanted to, it just wasn't my type of book. I am definitely more into strong characers than exciting plots.

Oh! yes . The secret life of bees will always be on my memory board as a super great book that really haunts the passion in you. It did in me.
Contributor
Babyashangel
0 Kudos

I've been looking at The Black Tattoo. But I can't bring myself to buy it yet because i'm not sure how much i'll be into it. What made you like it so much?
Contributor
lioness204
0 Kudos

Hey Leslie. Wanna read something new? Well it's not really new, but it's a good read. It's called '...And Ladies of the Club' by Helen Hooven Santmyer. My husband found it on the train and thought I might like it. At first I thought it would be corny by the look of the cover, but by the first ten pages I was actually intrigued. It's about a woman who is very wealthy, has a rich husband, and I think one child (if I remember correctly), but she is miserable. And she is being stalked by a man on a motorcycle who comes to her house and stands on her front lawn wearing very little clothing and a stars and stripes helmet! It is crazy, and surprisingly funny! This woman's husband is very superficial and treats her like crap so...well I'm not going to tell you the story, but I think you might like it.
And if you want something even more new...check out my brief synopsis of my new book called The Touch of Aggelos. You can look at it in the writing room under 'tell me what you think'
Lioness204
What's good!
New User
kara14510
0 Kudos

Hi! I read many of those same books and really liked them, so I would recommend these: Water for Elephants, which is fantastic and hard to put down, and Broken for You, a complex and interesting character study which takes some committment for the first 80 pages, but after that opens up incredibly.
New User
Boxernsane
0 Kudos

The Red Tent was one of the most wonderful books I have ever read. I highly recommend it. Also, The Other Boleyn Girl was magnificent.