Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
steveox152
0 Kudos

Im looking for a good book series to begin reading

Hey everyone im really starting to get into reading and im looking for some suggestions on a good book series to begin reading.
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Re: Im looking for a good book series to begin reading

What kind of books do you like?
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

steveox152 wrote:
Hey everyone im really starting to get into reading and im looking for some suggestions on a good book series to begin reading.

There are a number of good series out there.  What genre do you like? 

Mystery/Thriller include:  Lee Child - Reacher books

Clive Cussler has a couple of series - I like the Dirk Pitt bookds

We discussed some Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum books last month.

Lyn Hamilton is a Canadian writer whose character owns an antique shop and travels all over the world and finds trouble buying antiques.

Both Faye Kellerman and John Kellerman have good series.

Anne Perry has two series going - Charlett Pitt and Monk.  They are 1800 England.

Elizabeth Peters has her turn of the century Emerson/Peabody Egyptian archiologist series

Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child have the Pendergast series

Historical fiction:

Bernard Cornwell has several series, the Middle ages, and Civil war

Gary Jennings has an Aztec series

And Jack Whyte has a series dating from 1st century England as the Romans are leaving.

Have you read any of these?

MG

Frequent Contributor
Lindsey93

[ Edited ]

I would seriously reccomend Harry Potter and Twilight. Both of these series are amazing (though Harrry Potter IS better)  and they are both good books for both men and women.

"We'll send you a Hogwarts toilet seat!" - George Weasley

Message Edited by Lindsey93 on 11-03-2008 10:32 AM
That rebel moon is shinin' Those stars burn like diamonds
Hell bent on chasin' down that crazy spark
I'll follow you where you're leading
To the first sweet taste of freedom
You got me runnin' baby,
Wild at heart
Inspired Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

Try the "Thursday Next" series by Jasper Fforde.  I've read the first three books, starting with "The Eyre Affair".  It's very entertaining and it may even give you some ideas about classic literature to read later on.  While the books talk a lot about classic books, you need not have read those books to enjoy the series.

Contributor
irena
0 Kudos

It depends on what you like to read. I can recommend The woman in white" by Wilkie Collins. It's a mystery classic book. Very entertaining. i have also read "the story of edgar sawtelle" the adventurous and very psychological, "wicked" is a good book and it's also series of books. 
Contributor
Ela87
0 Kudos

hey I am in the middle of Joyce Meyer's book, "I Dare You" but looking for a good series to start for the new year or atleast a good book for December....Any suggestions? I really like mystery novels....
"Character is always lost when a high ideal is sacrificed on the altar of conformity and popularity." - Charles Spurgeon

If you can dream it, you can do it. - Walt Disney
New User
Valerie45
0 Kudos

The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich is awesom! It has great characters, terrific plots, and decent suspense. They are hysterical also! To me, they ar like eating potato chips!
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Ela87 wrote:
hey I am in the middle of Joyce Meyer's book, "I Dare You" but looking for a good series to start for the new year or atleast a good book for December....Any suggestions? I really like mystery novels....
Hi Ela,
I really enjoy the series by Deborah Crombie which stars Duncan Kincaid and Jemma James who are detectives for Scotland Yard. If you do start it helps to start from the beginning but they do well as stand alones too you just don't get the nuances and timelines.
Here's her web-site fyi http://www.deborahcrombie.com/

Contributor
Ela87

thanks sounds great...I am almost finished with this book...so far so good!
"Character is always lost when a high ideal is sacrificed on the altar of conformity and popularity." - Charles Spurgeon

If you can dream it, you can do it. - Walt Disney
Contributor
samuel90
0 Kudos

If you like fantasy try, The Bartimateus Trilogy by Johathan Stroud.
Contributor
Stargate_Librarian
0 Kudos

I couldn't read the "Thursday Next" books, but the audiobook versions were GREAT! Interjected much needed humor into my daily commute --
New User
CharactersWelcome
0 Kudos

Don't know if any guys would be interested, but Diana Gabaldon has a terrific series in Outlander.  I can't tell you how many times I've read those books. 
Contributor
alexis_kirsty
0 Kudos

The Twilight Series is amazing! i know people of all ages and types that love these books (my aunts friends cousins grand mother mother and pretty much the whole senior class :smileyvery-happy:) and they have all been long-standing best sellers,

1, Twilight 2, New Moon 3, Eclipse 4, Breaking Dawn all are written by Stephenie Meyer

New User
cloud-gazer
0 Kudos

I don't know what you are looking for, but you might check out the "Corn Cave Series" at www.zonacrabtree.com.  It is for all age readers.  There are a couple of the books listed used on B&N, but there are 2 other books in the series.
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

If you like British police procedurals, try John Harvey or Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. John Harvey's series( Frank Elder character) is probably a bit edgier than Harrod-Eagles but really good.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

If you are looking for mysteries that would be good for the month of December, may I recommend author Anne Perry. She has a few christmas mysteries and they take place in the late 1800s Victorian period. "Christmas Guest" and "Christmas Secret" are personally ones I have read. "Holmes for the Holidays" is another one written by her although I have not read it yet. It is in my pile to read over the christmas holidays.
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
New User
brookew
0 Kudos

I'd recommend the following authors which are mostly mysteries:

James Patterson -- Alex Cross series and Women's Murder Club series

Harlan Coben -- he has a series with Myron Bolitar (sports agent) as well as some great standalone books

Robert Crais -- his Elvis Cole series as well as his standalones

Robert B. Parker -- his Jesse Stone series and his Sunny Randall series

Nelson Demille -- John Corey and John Sutter books

Stuart Woods -- Stone Barrington series and Holy Barker series

J.A. Jance -- Joanna Brady series, Ali Reynolds series, and J.P. Beaumont series

D. W. Buffa -- Joseph Antonelli series

Jonathan Kellerman -- Alex Delaware series

John Sandford -- Prey (Luca Davenport) series and Virgil Flowers series

Peter Spiegelman -- John March series

I hope you find something you like!

Reader
mysteryreaderGR
0 Kudos

Here's just a small list

Scarpetta series - Patricia Cornwell

EZ Rawlins - Walter Moseley

Kinsey Milhone - Sue Grafton

Alex Delaware - James Patterson

These are all mystery books. 

I could go on and on.  Another way is to Google "books in a series" and it will bring up tons of suggestions. 

New User
dooneygirl29
0 Kudos

Hey!  I don't know if you have read The Pine Deep Trilogy but if you haven't you must.  The first is Ghost Road Blues.  It is one of my new faves.  Dead Man's Song is 2nd, then Bad Moon Rising.  I love thrillers and monsters but even if you don't these books are still good. Let me know what you think.