Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions

Camoena wrote:

Hello, I'm Ariel!  (Named after the Shakespeare character, not the Disney one.)  I'm recently turned 25, living in West/Central Texas, and a full-time employee at a hospital.  I graduated a few years ago with a BS in Psychology--it sort of is a BS degree, so I'm trying to get to a place financially where I can afford to go to grad school for Clinical Psychology.

I live with my boyfriend, and we have two 3-month-old kittens.  We rescued them when they were only about a day old and have raised them up to this point.  While I'm more of a dog person, these kittens are my babies.

I've loved to read ever since I was little, and my tastes vary somewhat widely.  I love poetry and plays just as much as novels.  I usually prefer fiction over non-fiction, though there are some great books that fall into the latter category.  I enjoy fantasy/scifi, historical fiction, romance, general fiction, classic novels, foreign literature (in English), children's books...the list goes on.  My list of favorites on another site consists of over 30 books, and there are some I would still add to that.

Favorite authors/series include, but are not limited to:  Terry Pratchett, LOTR, Harry Potter (series), Sookie Stackhouse (series), Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Billy Collins, Robert Frost, Septimus Heap (series), Roald Dahl, and Frank McCourt.

I'll refrain from further comment and start reading more introductions...  Happy reading!

Hi Ariel, and welcome to the General Fiction Board, we are so glad you joined us and told us a little about you and what you like to read.

How adorable the kittens must be and it's nice they have each other for company when you and your boyfriend are working.

We are also a very eclectic group here and love all kinds of reads both fiction and non.

If you like the regiment of a book club we offer that here too where I feature one book a month which we read as per a schedule then discuss it with each other and the author who gives graciously of his or her time to be here with us.

This month is half over and the read is pretty much completed but next month we're going to the dragons and reading a paranormal romance

Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire Series #1)  

if that is something that you would be interested in please join in.

you can also check this thread

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fiction-General-Discussion/A-Running-Tally-of-Gen-Fiction-Rea...

scroll to the end to see the latest features for the months to come, I'm working hard on 2012

what ever you like we're so glad you're here and hope you come back often :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
Camoena
0 Kudos

Thanks, Debbie!

I'll try to join in this next time, but if I'm not able, then I will certainly try at a later date!

The kittens are sweet -- an orange and white tabby and a little black kitten with white chest and paws.  Ron and Hermione....but they're into everything!  I feel like the dogs we had at home were much less trouble than these two babies!

'A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read.' --Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Reader
JenzaFox
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Jenny, I'm from Washington state. I'm new to the bn.com forums. I like mostly like mystery/thrillers, science fiction, and romance books. I'm new to this whole book club forum thing. I try to read as much as I can, but don't always have the time since I'm headed for a nursing career and have a lot of things goin on!

Author
QuirkyQuill
0 Kudos

So nice to see so many people reading and enjoying their books. I'm Malla Duncan and I write mystery thrillers but I also love to read fantasy and sweeping family sagas. A couple of my favourite authors are Nicci French and Sam Llewellyn. But I also struggle to find time to read!  Makes me wonder sometimes why our lives are so busy when we have every gadget possible to give us more time...

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

JenzaFox wrote:

Hi, my name is Jenny, I'm from Washington state. I'm new to the bn.com forums. I like mostly like mystery/thrillers, science fiction, and romance books. I'm new to this whole book club forum thing. I try to read as much as I can, but don't always have the time since I'm headed for a nursing career and have a lot of things goin on!

Hello Jenny, I'm Stephanie aka shadowcat, I'll answer to either.  Welcome to the fiction general discussion board.  Make yourself at home, we're a friendly lot and love to get new blood to the forum.  Have a good day and happy reading

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

QuirkyQuill wrote:

So nice to see so many people reading and enjoying their books. I'm Malla Duncan and I write mystery thrillers but I also love to read fantasy and sweeping family sagas. A couple of my favourite authors are Nicci French and Sam Llewellyn. But I also struggle to find time to read!  Makes me wonder sometimes why our lives are so busy when we have every gadget possible to give us more time...

Hello Malla Duncan, nice to see an author has come by.  Welcome to the fiction general discussion.  I have a suggestion if you hadn't already that is, the community room got a thread called read my book which is a thread that is dedicated to authors to promote there books to be bought/read.  You might want to check it out sometime.  Make yourself at home at the forum, we're all glad to have you here.  Have a good day 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JenzaFox wrote:

Hi Jenny and welcome to the forum, your reading likes are eclectic like mine. You may like our featured read of the month in September

Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire Series #1)  

which is a paranormal romance and the first in a wonderful series.

We'd love to have you join us and as an added bonus the author will be here with us too.

If this sounds like something you'd like click  here for the reading schedule. What we do is read the assigned section before the start date and then spend the week discussing it.

Hope to see you back often

Andd thanks Stephanie for welcoming her.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

QuirkyQuill wrote:

Hi Malla, I saw you on the mystery forum. Thanks for stopping by. How true that the easier we make things possible the less time we have to enjoy them. Busy busy lives interrupt our pleasures.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope to see you often to let us know what's new and what's coming up next in your writing.

And again thanks to Stephanie for being the welcoming committee here

New User
rabsy_Jen
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

My name is Jen and I am 25 years old. I am a army wife and a registered nurse. I love to spend my spar time lost in a good book.This is my first book club! Books that I have recently read in the past few months are Time Travelers Wife, The Other Boleyn Girl, The Help, House Rules, Harry Potter 1-7, Pride and the Prejudice. I love reading a variety of different books. 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

rabsy_Jen wrote:

Hello everyone,

My name is Jen and I am 25 years old. I am a army wife and a registered nurse. I love to spend my spar time lost in a good book.This is my first book club! Books that I have recently read in the past few months are Time Travelers Wife, The Other Boleyn Girl, The Help, House Rules, Harry Potter 1-7, Pride and the Prejudice. I love reading a variety of different books. 

Hi Jen and welcome to the forum, I also loved The Time Travelers Wife and the Other Boleyn Girl, I'm probably the only person left on the planet who hasn't read The Help, but I will. I hope you visit often and tell us what's up with your reading and in your life, I hope we become your regular coffee clutch club and I'm honored that you chose General Fiction to wet your feet.

Chat with you soon..