Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Anita Shreve

I've only read one Jodi Picoult booko and I guess it wasn't one of her best. Do you recommend Anita Shreve? If so, which of her books did you like best?
Contributor
akaknicker
0 Kudos

Re: Jodi Picoult fans?

Perfect Match is my favorite. I also enjoyed Plain Truth (being from Lancaster County) however, I must say, you cannot buy beer in a Turkey Hill. (just for the record)
Contributor
akaknicker
0 Kudos

My favorite Anita Shreve was her first Eden Close.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I've only read one Jodi Picoult booko and I guess it wasn't one of her best. Do you recommend Anita Shreve? If so, which of her books did you like best?

''

Becke; What book of Jodi Picoult did you read? Your statement comes as a shock. I have read all of her books from the very first one and find all of them so rewarding to have read. Jodi's books usually all have a cause to them. Such as Plain Truth to me speaks of crime in the religious sector. The pact spoke of teenage sucide and My sisters keeper, the conseversity over having children to act as donors for older children. The tenth circle was about the dilemna of what consitutes rape. There are always elements of surprise in her novels. I believe most of them have this wonderful concept.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Becke; You asked about Anita Shreve's books. I have read all of them. Some of her books are better than others. I prefer these; Sea Glass, Light on Snow, The Pilot's Wife, Fortune's rocks, Eden Close and the Weight of Water. My favorite of these are The Pilot's wife which I heard from Ophrah's book club years ago and then I took her on and read all of her novels. That and Eden Close and Fortune's rocks are my upmost favorites. They have more suspense and movement in them. I didn't like the December wedding at all. And haven't yet bought her newest one. But all and all she is a great writer.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

''

Becke; What book of Jodi Picoult did you read? Your statement comes as a shock. I have read all of her books from the very first one and find all of them so rewarding to have read. Jodi's books usually all have a cause to them. Such as Plain Truth to me speaks of crime in the religious sector. The pact spoke of teenage sucide and My sisters keeper, the conseversity over having children to act as donors for older children. The tenth circle was about the dilemna of what consitutes rape. There are always elements of surprise in her novels. I believe most of them have this wonderful concept.

I read the one about the girl who realizes she was kidnapped as a child. It wasn't bad, but I had read a book with a similar plot by another author and maybe that took something away from the Picoult book for me.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

kiakar wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

''

I read the one about the girl who realizes she was kidnapped as a child. It wasn't bad, but I had read a book with a similar plot by another author and maybe that took something away from the Picoult book for me.

Yea, Becke; I think you are speaking of Vanishing acts. Maybe it was the fact you had read another book about this, because to me Jodi made it so realistic and the element of surprise that is in most of her books was fantastic I thought.
New User
kimbak
0 Kudos

My fifteen year old daughter pointed me in the direction of Ms. Picoult when I was looking for something to read. I had never heard of her and the book my daughter gave to me was Nineteen Minutes (her newest). All I can say friends, is WOW. I then read My Sister's Keeper and it was outstanding. I will read The Tenth Circle after I finish with The Glass Castle(not a Picoult book) which is also very riviting. Picoult is an excellent storyteller and I am now a lifelong fan.
New User
kimbak
0 Kudos

Re: new book

Mineteen Minutes was the first book of hers that I read. My teenage daughter gave it to me and said "Mom, you have to read this." I did and now I am hooked. Next was My Sister's Keeper and now I am a lifelong fan. Several of my coworkers are circulating books of hers around the workplace and I am next to get the Tenth Circle. I can't wait--I hear that she can't write a "bad" book--are there any that aren't so great in anyone's opinion?
Contributor
ROY99
0 Kudos

kimbak, Thanks for sharing about Nineteen Minutes. I read it as a first Picoult read & was blown away by it! So many twists & turns & surprises--it was hard to put down especially when I got down to the last few chapters. I have friends who have told me what a great author she is & I am definitely a fan now. I have gotten The Tenth Circle & Vanishing Acts to read & I plan to read My Sister's Keeper. I had an opportunity to receive a free audio book so I chose Second Glance by Picoult. Oh, so many books, so little time! LOL!

I read The Glass Castle with a book group & it really sparked some great conversation. You might want to check out a couple of her interviews on line--it really brings even more life to the story. It's hard to believe she actually lived all that.

Right now I'm reading Flags of our Fathers, The Count of Monte Cristo & The House of Seven Gables. When I'm in the car, I'm listening to True Believer by Sparks. Being a southern gal, I'm really enjoying the person who is reading the story. You might like Sparks if you like Picoult.

Happy Reading!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

kimbak wrote:
Mineteen Minutes was the first book of hers that I read. My teenage daughter gave it to me and said "Mom, you have to read this." I did and now I am hooked. Next was My Sister's Keeper and now I am a lifelong fan. Several of my coworkers are circulating books of hers around the workplace and I am next to get the Tenth Circle. I can't wait--I hear that she can't write a "bad" book--are there any that aren't so great in anyone's opinion?

Yes, I have been a fan for years. The first one I read after a friend recommended her books was Plain Truth. It was fabulous. I would never let a book go unread of hers if I knew about it. they are quite awesome. There is always an element of surprise and usually a cause or purpose such as sucide, teenage, date rape, teenage, teenage preg. children being snatched at birth. And so forth.
New User
kimbak
0 Kudos

I am reading Vanishing Acts right now because I couldn't wait for Tenth Circle (my friend has a slower pace than I), I will visit the interviews that you suggested, I am blown away by the true story of the Glass Castle--this time it was my turn to say to my daughter "you have to read this". Thanks so much for the suggestions!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

kimbak wrote:
I am reading Vanishing Acts right now because I couldn't wait for Tenth Circle (my friend has a slower pace than I), I will visit the interviews that you suggested, I am blown away by the true story of the Glass Castle--this time it was my turn to say to my daughter "you have to read this". Thanks so much for the suggestions!

I loved the Glass Castle also; I couldn't get over that Mother! Believe! I couldnt believe how self absorbed she was.
jcp
New User
jcp
0 Kudos

I have just recently started reading Jodi Picoult and so far have read "The Pact" and just finished "Nineteen Minutes". I would love to discuss this book with someone,but I am new to this site and don't really know where to go. any suggestions?
thanks,
Jeannie
Contributor
ROY99
0 Kudos

Hi Jeannie, This would probably be as good a place as any to have discussion about Nineteen Minutes. I absolutely loved this book. If you have questions or comments, chime in--I'm sure some of us will respond to your posts. I always check the "email me if someone replies to this" so that I know when people have posted something. Personally, I would love to hear your thoughts on the book. I have posted a few comments here already, but haven't had too much response to them. I really appreciate those of you who have shared about your Picoult readings & interests. ROY99
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

sweetnaranja wrote:
I was in the middle of 19 Minutes when the Virginia Tech murders hit the news. It was very eerie to be reading a fictional account of a school massacre that took place in March 2007. The book made me sensitive to the suffering of the family of the murderer and also to realize that sometimes social and cultural influences affect growing children in damaging ways. That doesn't excuse the murderer - he deserves to be severely punished for destroying the lives of many students and their families.

I just started reading 19 minutes. I have had the book now for awhile but not any time left in my day to read it. boy, I should have started along time ago. This book is marvelous. It has already started turning twists at every turn of the page. Vibrant is the emotion I feel with each page I turn. There is just not many authors that acan top her writing.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

ROY99 wrote:
I read The Face on the Milk Carton and enjoyed it. I think many of the books aimed at teenagers are good reads for adults as well. I've talked to many people whose teenage daughters enjoy Picoult's books as well. Look at the many classics we were required to read as teenagers--I now go back & reread them with such a greater appreciation & new enjoyment of them. Aren't all books supposed to reach us on some emotional level?

I just reread this post and love it! You are so right, Roy99. And at times in our lives, they hit harder than others. I love what books do.
New User
finallyfoundit
0 Kudos

I joined this site on 10/29. I too love Jodi Picoult! I started out with My Sister's Keeper then The Pact and now I'm reading Plain Truth. I'm so glad I found a group that is as in love with her books as I am. What should I read next? Any suggestions?
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

finallyfoundit wrote:
I joined this site on 10/29. I too love Jodi Picoult! I started out with My Sister's Keeper then The Pact and now I'm reading Plain Truth. I'm so glad I found a group that is as in love with her books as I am. What should I read next? Any suggestions?

Oh! You have certainly read all my favorite favorites but some more that are quite wonderful are Salemn Falls,The tenth circle,Vanishing Acts,Nineteen Minutes, keeping Faith and any others I havent mentioned. It was one with a title with Whales in it. I have read them all I do know that. They are wonderful books.
Contributor
ROY99
0 Kudos

Hi finallyfoundit, I absolutely love Picoult. I started out with Nineteen Minutes--a must read and read The Tenth Circle. I have several others on my shelf just waiting to be read. Kiakar, it's Songs of a Humpback Whale--still got that one waiting TBR. I'm listening to Second Glance on audio right now. You might want to check out Picoult's on line site. There are so many books that I want to read, I've found if I listen in the car & when I'm out walking the dog, I can fit more in. Have you read Lisa Gardner (lots of twists & turns)? She has some great books as well. I've read The Third Victim, The Next Accident and Gone (it's best if you read them in that order because you get to know the characters backgrounds & can follow along their journeys). They are good as stand alones, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading them in order. Next on my list of hers to read is The Killing Hour. I'm also reading a series of books by Nora Roberts writing under the name of J.D. Robb which start out with Naked in Death--another one with lots of twists & turns. I read with a couple of very active book clubs so I do a lot of reading. Right now I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, Eat, Pray, Love and Rapture in Death. Just finished The Passion of Artemisia, City of Falling Angels and Immortal in Death. Okay, now that I've given absolutely too many book suggestions probably for your book shelves, I'll sign off. Happy reading! ROY99