Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Jodi Picoult fans?

dghobbs wrote:
Roy99,

My heart goes out to your sister. It is sad that she had to live with that for so long and then to keep it secret for even longer! I am glad that you were there for her. I am sure it was comforting for your sister to finally be able to share it with you.

I agree with everything you wrote about Jodi Picoult's novels...and I also wonder what is next. How many subjects can she research and then write such poignant novels about? :smileyhappy:Doug

Yes, Roy and Doug

It really surprises me when she writes a new book, what will she spring on us now!  So many surprises, and skips and turns, you can't know where she is going until the end. And she can tie up a novel the best I have ever seen. She doesnt leave any loose ends. I hope I am able to read hundreds  of them.  Happy reading. Linda(va)
Frequent Contributor
dghobbs
0 Kudos

Linda,

I sure hoep she keeps writing. I love her books! Are you a member of Goodreads.com? :smileyhappy:Doug
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

dghobbs wrote:
Linda,

I sure hoep she keeps writing. I love her books! Are you a member of Goodreads.com? :smileyhappy:Doug

Sorry I didn't see this. I have been vacationing for the last three weeks and wasn't at a computer the entire time. That I missed. ha. But had a great time exploring Five States, West Va.,Ohio,Indiana,Illinois,and Michigan. A friend and I  visited friends and relatives along the way and I drove all the many many miles. About 1200 or more.  Yes, I belong to Goodreads.com.     Linda
Frequent Contributor
dghobbs
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

dghobbs wrote:
Linda,

Sorry I didn't see this. I have been vacationing for the last three weeks and wasn't at a computer the entire time. That I missed. ha. But had a great time exploring Five States, West Va.,Ohio,Indiana,Illinois,and Michigan. A friend and I visited friends and relatives along the way and I drove all the many many miles. About 1200 or more. Yes, I belong to Goodreads.com. Linda

Linda,

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip! It would be great to have you as a goodreads friend. I go by "Doug Hobbs" on Goodreads. :smileyhappy:Doug
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

dghobbs wrote:

kiakar wrote:

dghobbs wrote:
Linda,

Sorry I didn't see this. I have been vacationing for the last three weeks and wasn't at a computer the entire time. That I missed. ha. But had a great time exploring Five States, West Va.,Ohio,Indiana,Illinois,and Michigan. A friend and I visited friends and relatives along the way and I drove all the many many miles. About 1200 or more. Yes, I belong to Goodreads.com. Linda

Linda,

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip! It would be great to have you as a goodreads friend. I go by "Doug Hobbs" on Goodreads. :smileyhappy:Doug

It sounds good, Doug! Are you in a club or just you. I am with a group but I guess I can chat with you also.

Frequent Contributor
dghobbs
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

dghobbs wrote:

kiakar wrote:

dghobbs wrote:
Linda,

Linda,

It sounds good, Doug! Are you in a club or just you. I am with a group but I guess I can chat with you also.

Linda,

What group are you in? Is it a private group? I moderate several groups and I am in quite a few other groups. Thankfully, the groups I moderate are slow moving - The groups are "Debbie Macomber's novels", "Nicholas Sparks novels", "Jasper Fforde and the Thursday Next series", "Lilian Jackson Bruan - the Cat Who novels", "Quirky Humor" (which I inherited when a couple of friends left Goodreads), and "In Defense of Food/Vegetarian/Vegan".

I really enjoy finding out what "Friends" are adding to the "read" or "to-read" lists. The downside is my own "to-read list" has expanded faster than I can read. :smileyhappy:Doug
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

dghobbs wrote:

kiakar wrote:

dghobbs wrote:

kiakar wrote:

dghobbs wrote:
Linda,

Linda,

Linda,

What group are you in? Is it a private group? I moderate several groups and I am in quite a few other groups. Thankfully, the groups I moderate are slow moving - The groups are "Debbie Macomber's novels", "Nicholas Sparks novels", "Jasper Fforde and the Thursday Next series", "Lilian Jackson Bruan - the Cat Who novels", "Quirky Humor" (which I inherited when a couple of friends left Goodreads), and "In Defense of Food/Vegetarian/Vegan".

I really enjoy finding out what "Friends" are adding to the "read" or "to-read" lists. The downside is my own "to-read list" has expanded faster than I can read. :smileyhappy:Doug

Hey: Doug, how about sending me a message on this board and letting me know the name of the group you are in. Would love to share notes on Debbie MacComber and all the rest. So whichever you wish. Just send me a message and let me know. Looking forward to it.  Linda
New User
pamr63366
0 Kudos

I love books by jodi. I am reading 19 minutes right now. I have read my sisters keeper and loved it!
pam
Frequent Contributor
dghobbs
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

dghobbs wrote:

kiakar wrote:

dghobbs wrote:

kiakar wrote:

dghobbs wrote:
Linda,

Linda,

Linda,

Hey: Doug, how about sending me a message on this board and letting me know the name of the group you are in. Would love to share notes on Debbie MacComber and all the rest. So whichever you wish. Just send me a message and let me know. Looking forward to it. Linda

Linda,

The Debbie Macomber group on Goodreads is called "Debbie Macomber's novels." The other groups I moderate are above, if any of the others interest you. The Debbie Macomber and Nicholas Sparks groups are the more active ones. Thank you :smileyhappy:Doug
Contributor
Bookworm1279
0 Kudos

I just finished reading my first Jodi Picoult book and I am now officially hooked on her books now. I just finished reading "The Tenth Circle" boy was that a great book to read. At times did want to put it down. From the start I was hooked. She knows how to grab her audience from the start. A lot of mystery going on in the story. But three people who are really lost and don't know who they are and trying to find themselves. I just seen the movie also I prefer the book more did not really like the movie at all. Can't wait to read the book again.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Bookworm1279 wrote:
I just finished reading my first Jodi Picoult book and I am now officially hooked on her books now. I just finished reading "The Tenth Circle" boy was that a great book to read. At times did want to put it down. From the start I was hooked. She knows how to grab her audience from the start. A lot of mystery going on in the story. But three people who are really lost and don't know who they are and trying to find themselves. I just seen the movie also I prefer the book more did not really like the movie at all. Can't wait to read the book again.

I didnt realize that they had made a movie of 10th circle. I will have to see about watching it. Is it still at the theaters or is it a rental yet? All of her books would make great movies though. She does write so much mystery into each one of her novels.

Contributor
ROY99
0 Kudos

I too thoroughly enjoyed The Tenth Circle book.   The movie was okay, but not nearly as good as the book.  I thought they should have made more references to the comics & Dante's Inferno in order to bring the book to life.

kiakar, the movie was shown on the Lifetime tv channel.  You might want to check the Lifetime channel website to see when it will be shown again.  They have a tendency to show movies over frequently.   It will probably come out on DVD, but I haven't heard when.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

about 2 years ago, jodi picoult came to speak to my book group. her presentation was really excellent. she does an enormous amount of research for each of her books. has she ever participated on any of these boards?

twj 

Contributor
nhbooklover
0 Kudos

Plain Truth is a good one. That was the first book I read that was by her. I also have Salem Falls, but I haven't read it yet. Started to, but didn't finish it.

Also, if you like her, you might like Philippa Gregory. She wrote The Other Boeylyn Girl. 

Just a suggestion.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Yes, TWJ. Jodi Picoult has been on the barnes and noble clubs. I believe it was My Sister's keeper. We discussed 19 minutes with a moderator. That is the only time I can remember her being with Barnes and noble clubs.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

ROY99 wrote:

I too thoroughly enjoyed The Tenth Circle book.   The movie was okay, but not nearly as good as the book.  I thought they should have made more references to the comics & Dante's Inferno in order to bring the book to life.

kiakar, the movie was shown on the Lifetime tv channel.  You might want to check the Lifetime channel website to see when it will be shown again.  They have a tendency to show movies over frequently.   It will probably come out on DVD, but I haven't heard when.

Thanks Roy99. I do not watch movies as much as I read so sometimes I miss some I would like to see.
New User
hkarow
0 Kudos

Re: Jodi Piccolo fans?

I just finished Keeping Faith, which I really enjoyed.  It's about a 7 year old girl that starts to have visions of God, can heal people, and has stigmata.  This book is really well written and is hard to put down.  This was the first Jodi Picoult book that I read and it made me an immediate fan of hers.
Contributor
kolsonheld
0 Kudos

I discovered Jodi Picoult last spring with The Pact, and I have quickly read most of her other books. My Sister's Keeper, Keeping Faith, Change of Heart and Plain Truth are my other favorites. I have to say that Mercy is the only one that I didn't really enjoy. It is the only one that took me more than a week to read; I couldn't put the others down. It looks like her next book will deal with abortion...the excerpt on her Web site is a good teaser!

Karin
New User
jcasey1991
0 Kudos

I suggest your read Salem Falls next.  The boy's attorney from "The Pact" returns in "Salem Falls."  As usual, it's another good read from Jodi Piccoult.  :smileyhappy:
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

jcasey1991 wrote:
I suggest your read Salem Falls next.  The boy's attorney from "The Pact" returns in "Salem Falls."  As usual, it's another good read from Jodi Piccoult.  :smileyhappy:

oh! yes! aren't they all!