Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ROY99
0 Kudos

Re: Jodi Picoult fans?

Abby, I'm very new to online book clubbing, but so far I'm beginning to really enjoy it--it's quite addictive. Haven't read a lot of Oprah's picks. Read Measure of a Man--good for a biography & having been raised in MS & around as a child when Martin Luther King was assasinated, I admire him for standing up for what he believes--I believe that "we are who we are" & people either like me for who I am or choose someone else as a friend. Also reading The Road & enjoying (not sure if that's the word for it being it's about the destruction of Earth and man as we know it). Fall on Your Knees (FOYK) is going very well--we just had our first discussions with questions given by the person facilitating the read that month-it has sparked some great conversations & really makes you 'think'. What's Pope Joan about?

19 minutes--Just started 'Twelve Years Before', but will get into it more today. I agree about being sympathetic toward Peter's mom, but this brings up the conflict of 'how involved we are with our children'--knowing what's going on inside but yet giving them wings as well. Unfortunately, too many kids are bullied--I believe it's been going on for years, but we are just now more aware of it. Teachers are beginning to work more on giving kids the tools to deal with bullies, but it takes parents and others involved in their lives also (what is it?--it takes a village). No one answer to the problem, just being more aware of kids feelings & needs.

Well, I've rambled enough--I'm not familiar with starting threads either (laugh out loud). Maybe if we get a conversation going, others will join in.

Ramona
Contributor
ROY99
0 Kudos

Abby, Just realized I have posted to a thread entitled Nineteen Minutes--have posted a question to Amanda at that thread asking how we can get these posts to the same thread and maybe get some conversations going with other readers. ROY99
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

ROY99 wrote:
Abby, I'm very new to online book clubbing, but so far I'm beginning to really enjoy it--it's quite addictive. Haven't read a lot of Oprah's picks. Read Measure of a Man--good for a biography & having been raised in MS & around as a child when Martin Luther King was assasinated, I admire him for standing up for what he believes--I believe that "we are who we are" & people either like me for who I am or choose someone else as a friend. Also reading The Road & enjoying (not sure if that's the word for it being it's about the destruction of Earth and man as we know it). Fall on Your Knees (FOYK) is going very well--we just had our first discussions with questions given by the person facilitating the read that month-it has sparked some great conversations & really makes you 'think'. What's Pope Joan about?

19 minutes--Just started 'Twelve Years Before', but will get into it more today. I agree about being sympathetic toward Peter's mom, but this brings up the conflict of 'how involved we are with our children'--knowing what's going on inside but yet giving them wings as well. Unfortunately, too many kids are bullied--I believe it's been going on for years, but we are just now more aware of it. Teachers are beginning to work more on giving kids the tools to deal with bullies, but it takes parents and others involved in their lives also (what is it?--it takes a village). No one answer to the problem, just being more aware of kids feelings & needs.

Well, I've rambled enough--I'm not familiar with starting threads either (laugh out loud). Maybe if we get a conversation going, others will join in.

Ramona

About Ophrah's clubs. When she first started a bookclub she was doing mostly people's first books and fairly new unknown authors. I really found some great authors this way. Elizabeth Berg, Jane Hamilton, Anita Shreve, Chris Bohjonin, , Wally Lamb, Jaceulyn Mitchard, Kaye Gibbons, and so many more. I have read most of what these authors have written over the years. This was a great experience and I was so thrilled that she included these new authors in her club. And then she started doing classics and most of them I enjoyed and that got me into liking classics. But this last time she is picking memoirs and I just have never been that enticed with memoirs. I can't put my finger on the reason I do not prefer these type of writings/ So I do not get any she recomments. But I hope some day she will go back to classics or the new authors. Then I will immediately be a fan of her reading club.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

ROY99 wrote:

Well, I've rambled enough--I'm not familiar with starting threads either (laugh out loud). Maybe if we get a

conversation going, others will join in.

Ramona

I haven't read Jodi's last book. I am reading so many now, that this one has had to wait until I catch up on some of my others and the extra money makes a difference too in when I purchase it. ha. But I do know I will have this book, no matter what, before too long. I gather what it is about by comments. And I do want to read it so much. Yes, you are right to say that bullying has been going on a really long time. I am in my early sixties and I remember being bullyed in the eighth grade. Of course alot of it came from my insecurities and a large amount of no self esteem. They saw where I was hung up at, with my looks, being a few pounds overweight, not liking my clothes and so forth. At thirteen, you do have alot of problems that seem alot worse than they really are. Four girls ganged up on me in the lunchroom, spatting obsenities at me and convinced most of the lunchroom to laugh and giggle and make fun at me. And when kids from other tables would come over, I cried so hard that they went away also. I wanted to end my life, but it never made me mad enought to want to kill them. Two of my children also was ridiculed alot in school and it breaks a parents heart not to be able to help that much with it. I would always encourage the child that was having the problem but the solutions are so hard to find.
Reader 2
lorraine_386
0 Kudos

I have read The Tenth Circle and My Sisters Keeper. I thought both were very good books but preferred My Sisters Keeper because of the characters and ending. Has anyone picked up Nineteen Minutes yet? I believe it just recently went on sale?

Lorraine
Denver, Colorado
LorraineN.
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

My favorite book of Jodi Picult is also My Sister's Keeper. Jodi Picoult can write so
well about controversial topics.
New User
MaggieMay34
0 Kudos

I just read Salem Falls for one of my college courses and I think it's an excellent book. I have also read The Pact and I am awaiting My Sister's Keeper to come in the mail. I started reading The Tenth Circle but I just couldn't get that into it, but I guess you can't like every book
Books...are like lobster shells, we surround ourselves with 'em, then we grow out of 'em and leave 'em behind, as evidence of our earlier stages of development. by Dorothy L. Sayers
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

johanna49 wrote:
My favorite book of Jodi Picult is also My Sister's Keeper. Jodi Picoult can write so
well about controversial topics.

To me that is the most rememorable book also. Her books might someday become classic, because they deal with issues that we face in this century.
Frequent Contributor
jmtamez
0 Kudos

I have just discovered Jody Picoult and am flying through her books. In order i have read Tenth Circle, 19 Minutes, Salem Falls (I just finished) and I am about 40 pages into The Pact. I have Saving Faith upstairs right now as well as a second that's title is slipping my mind. she's an amazing story teller!
Jeanne
Let's talk books! www.booktalks.org
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

jmtamez wrote:
I have just discovered Jody Picoult and am flying through her books. In order i have read Tenth Circle, 19 Minutes, Salem Falls (I just finished) and I am about 40 pages into The Pact. I have Saving Faith upstairs right now as well as a second that's title is slipping my mind. she's an amazing story teller!

Yes Jeanne, She is quite the story teller indeed. I remember maybe Seven yrs ago, a friend at work telling me about her being a new author but that she was really good.
The first books I read were Salem Falls, The Plain Truth and The Pact. They are fansanating story lines and always surprises elements through out the book. Now I have read all of hers also. I couldn't even pick a favorite. They are all so great!
Contributor
sweetnaranja
0 Kudos

I was in the middle of 19 Minutes when the Virginia Tech murders hit the news. It was very eerie to be reading a fictional account of a school massacre that took place in March 2007. The book made me sensitive to the suffering of the family of the murderer and also to realize that sometimes social and cultural influences affect growing children in damaging ways. That doesn't excuse the murderer - he deserves to be severely punished for destroying the lives of many students and their families.
New User
vsagan
0 Kudos

One of the things that I enjoy most about Jodi Picoult's books is that, although her characters are really interesting, her plots are strong, and there are a lot of twists.

If you like twists, try these:

The Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva
The Reader by Bernhard Shlink
RABID by TK Kenyon (Just finished it last week and can't get it out of my head.)
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (ending is very different from the movie)

Veronica
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Okay, I figured it out -- the Picoult book I forgot I had read was Vanishing Acts. I remembered the book, just didn't realize it was one she had written. And yes, it was good, but not a favorite.
B&N Bookseller
charlottesweb93
0 Kudos

I am listening to Vanishing Acts on Audio. And it is by far, not one of her best.

My Sister's Keeper is outstanding. Nineteen Minutes is chilling. The Pact was excellent as well.

What I like about all three of those books are the great legal battles that take place as part of the story.
Charlotte
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

charlottesweb93 wrote:
I am listening to Vanishing Acts on Audio. And it is by far, not one of her best.

My Sister's Keeper is outstanding. Nineteen Minutes is chilling. The Pact was excellent as well.

What I like about all three of those books are the great legal battles that take place as part of the story.

Charlotte; I believe we all see things differently. I thought Vanishing Acts also brought to life an important aspect to living in this world and maybe on tape wasn't as thought provoking for you as readiang it would have been. But like I said, we interupt different books different ways. It mostly depends on our own life.THat is what is going on at the time of the read. But I havent read a Picult book that didn't appeal to every level of mylife.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Did any of you read that book The Face on the Milk Carton? I can't think of the author, Catherine Cooney maybe, or something like that? My daughter read it as a teenager and gave it to me to read when she finished it. It was similar to the Jodi Picoult book, and even though it was aimed at teenagers, I think it was more effective on an emotional level.
Contributor
ROY99
0 Kudos

I read The Face on the Milk Carton and enjoyed it. I think many of the books aimed at teenagers are good reads for adults as well. I've talked to many people whose teenage daughters enjoy Picoult's books as well. Look at the many classics we were required to read as teenagers--I now go back & reread them with such a greater appreciation & new enjoyment of them. Aren't all books supposed to reach us on some emotional level?
Contributor
kanand04
0 Kudos

I have read The Pact and it was really good. It was my first of her books and I totally enjoyed it. At the moment I am reading Tenth Circle and it is really good too. I am a little over 1/2 done. I can't wait to read more of her books. She is very talented!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Anita Shreve

At my local bookstore, they have a big display of Anita Shreve's books right next to a big display of Jodi Picoult books. Do they write in a similar style?
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Anita Shreve

becke_davis wrote:
At my local bookstore, they have a big display of Anita Shreve's books right next to a big display of Jodi Picoult books. Do they write in a similar style?

I don't think they are similiar at all. Jodi takes life's situations some of the toughest and challenges the reader in my way of thinking. There is always an element of surprise but always seems very real to real life situations. Anita is a great writer, but is more a realist in writing about life's situations.