Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

June Discussion

[ Edited ]
I'm pleased to announce that we'll be reading 

The Family Man  by Elinor Lipman.

For those of you who know Elinor, we are in for a fantastic read.   

See my favorite review below. 

Anika Fajardo - Library Journal

With all the requisite elements, including sparkling dialog, a clash of personalities, and delightfully flawed characters-not to mention unusual family situations and overbearing matriarchs-this book offers readers hints of Lipman's previous books, from Then She Found Me to The Dearly Departed. When the comfortably wealthy and homosexual Henry Archer's recently widowed ex-wife, Denise Krouch, reappears after 24 years, his ordered life is turned upside down. The unwelcome reunion with the brash and socially inept Denise brings with it a silver lining: his reacquaintance with Denise's estranged daughter, Thalia, and a blind date with Todd. Henry soon finds himself in the midst of Denise's familial drama and struggling actress Thalia's doomed-to-fail publicity stunt with a horror film star. He also finds himself happily in love with both his daughter and Todd. Evocative of both Jane Austen andEntertainment Weekly, this will be another hit with Lipman fans. Highly recommended. [See Prepub Alert, LJ1/09.]

I hope you'll all join the discussion in June!  

Message Edited by Stephanie on 05-18-2009 10:28 PM
Stephanie
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

The Family Man

OMG!  Stephanie, I can't believe you're going to have this book next!  I was just, this minute, going to post something about this fabulous book!  I'm reading it, and about 3/4 of the way through...I love, love, love Elinor's writing, and this story.  Do you think we can get her to come to the board?  I know she's in the midst of her tour, and sorry to say I couldn't go see her last week, when she came to Calif., but it would be so special if you could get her to return to us, here! 

Please? Please? :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: The Family Man

Better news!  I spoke to Elinor last night, and she is going to join us for the discussion!

If you get a chance, check out her website: http://www.elinorlipman.com/

We are going to have some fun!  

Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Kathy,

Shoot, I should have read your post first.  I just posted the info... Elinor is in.  :smileyhappy:  

Stephanie
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Kathy,

Shoot, I should have read your post first.  I just posted the info... Elinor is in.  :smileyhappy:  

Stephanie :smileyhappy:  I can't stop smiling.

....happy to hear the news!  I kind of got excited last night, when you mentioned the book being discussed for June....I couldn't contain myself! 

Do you have your copy, yet?  I keep putting mine down, not wanting to finish it too soon.  Elinor's wit is so sharp, she can sneak up behind you with it!  She plops it down at the end of a paragraph, and I just giggle, or laugh out loud.  This new novel is one of her best....I think the older she gets, the sharper she gets!  Don't tell her I said that..... wouldn't want her to think she's getting old! :smileyvery-happy:  Let me re-phrase that....she's like a fine wine!

If there is any author you can tell by their style, it's her.

Thanks for getting her here!

Kathy