Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

Re: Know a funny book?

Third Helpings by Calvin Trillin.  
New User
Andres
0 Kudos

Oh yeah! I just finished a book called "The Baby in the Bag, A Politically Incorrect Tale" by Doug Hanau. It's a tale of a writer who inadvertantly insults the dwarf community who then seek their revenge by hiring a hitman called the "Chihuahua." Obviously a take off on the Jackel. The real intent of this politically incorrect situation is to, of course, gain free publicity at the expense of the writer, Parc Atola. While all this is occuring, Parc is writing a fictional tale of a dead baby found in a back pack in a high shool's girls locker room. The main character in this tale being written in Detetive Tommy Gunn, a middle-aged loser detective who can't seem to catch a break. The characters both in Parc's life and his developing novel are absolutely hilarious! The dialogue and situations had me absolutely busting out loud.

Just listen to some of the character names:

Pacito (little) Jones - Mexican African-American dwarf actor

Beatrice Otch - B-otch for short

Delbert P. Compter - high school computer geek called Dell PC for short

Herman Aphrodite - Hermaphrodite - a male drag queen

Buffy and Muffy Trampleton - high school cheer leaders, twin sisters, main suspects

Harry  Sass -"What's up Harry's a**?" Sexually confused high school student

The best part is the ending, which I never ever saw coming.

Up until now my favorite humor book was "Gravity's Rainbow" by Thomas Pynchon. But it's not now. "The Baby in the Bag" is just too funnier!

Contributor
FANOFASHLEYWILSONRHODE
0 Kudos

Correspondent
JennGrrl
0 Kudos

If you're looking for something funny/unusual, try Tim Dorsey.  So far, everything I've read has been funny.  My favorite so far is Triggerfish Twist, but his others are funny as well. 

They're sort of murder mysteries, I guess, but they're just fun.  The characters are completely quirky (seriously, there's a character named Jack. R. Terrier...yup, Jack Russell Terrier).  The murders are all creative and unusual, and somehow actually kind of funny.

The books are exciting from the beginning, easy to get into, and easy to stick with.  I received one in a box of books someone gave me, and I've been seeking them out ever since.

New User
BookSleuth
0 Kudos

If you want something funny, try The Varicose Vigilantes by Jay Lumbert. The book is a howl that will also keep you on the edge of your seat!

New User
jncmac
0 Kudos

Hi Daisy,

Well, It's been 3 years since you asked your question - but here's my suggestion for you.  It's a book that I have just finished reading called "The Occasionally Disgusting Adventures of Brian and Sprig" and it is just insanely funny.  Written by some British Author calling himself 'Myriad Sprite' - I don't suppose that's their real name. Anyway, It's hard to categorize what genre it's in - I guess it's a fantasy since it's full of fantastical situations and characters.  Anyway,  it contains a lot of offbeat twisted British humor with some really 'out-there' characters and situations. It's sort of manic in the way it's written, but had me laughing out loud on my train ride home.  Very funny stuff, although it might be a little rude for some. The title isn't far wrong either, and I can't remember a book I’ve read that's been anything like this one - which I think is a recommendation in itself.  Happy reading Daisy.

Reader
Summerlove
0 Kudos

Hi Daisy  well I read a great book tittled The Hot Flash Club by Nancy Thayer it was very funny a great book. By the way I have join a great website call shelfari is great because is like a facebook only that is for book lovers you get to review the books you had read. Also is great to see what other readers thought about a book. Go to WWW.shelfari.com have fun!!! Hope these suggestions help!!

New User
robevans1770
0 Kudos

i found this amazingly funny book quite by accident and i've been giggling all the way through it. there's a free sample, so if you like it.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/28821

New User
AlexRoysh
0 Kudos

Yes, I do - the recent spy comedy (an event in itself). Look here, soon it could be available in ePub format.

I (author) can 't publish it by B&N because have no US bank account ...

link:

http://www.amazon.com/My-Brother-Spy-ebook/dp/B005SGY4N0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318615984&sr=8-1

Enjoy! Surmise! Survive! (don 't forget - espionage is pure happiness)

New User
jackiekingon
0 Kudos

CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE MOONS by Jackie Kingon is a slap-stick word play comedy set in the future. Molly Marbles, a 287 pound woman decides to go to Neil Armstrong University on the moon because there she will only weigh 47.6 pounds. Later her favorite candy, Chocolate Moons are poisoned and she finds out who did it plus a delicious antidote. Kirkus Review said "delightful." Midwest Book Review said "a humorous romp-sure to please."

WEB site link http://is.gd/1EJulO
dhaupt
0 Kudos

jackiekingon wrote:

CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE MOONS by Jackie Kingon is a slap-stick word play comedy set in the future. Molly Marbles, a 287 pound woman decides to go to Neil Armstrong University on the moon because there she will only weigh 47.6 pounds. Later her favorite candy, Chocolate Moons are poisoned and she finds out who did it plus a delicious antidote. Kirkus Review said "delightful." Midwest Book Review said "a humorous romp-sure to please."

WEB site link http://is.gd/1EJulO

Hi Jackie

this book sounds like a hoot

can you tell us why you liked it?

Inspired Contributor
havenwynters
0 Kudos

Yeah, I'm slightly behind on this question, but the funniest book I've read is the signspotting ones.  They are so funny, i couldn't put it down.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

havenwynters wrote:

Yeah, I'm slightly behind on this question, but the funniest book I've read is the signspotting ones.  They are so funny, i couldn't put it down.

Thanks havenwynters these look like a lot of fun :smileyhappy:

Signspotting 4  

Signspotting III  

Lonely Planet Signspotting 2  

Lonely Planet Signspotting  

2014 Signspotting Day-to-Day Calendar  

2011 Signspotting Box Calendar