Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
MCastillo
0 Kudos

Re: Know a funny book?

Hi Daisy:

I'm blatantly tooting my own horn here and recommending my latest book, Switchcraft or if you want to try a variety of authors, Names I Call My Sister. Both books are light and humorous in tone and yet contemplate or explore issues of power within families, the relevance of mothers and women who don't have children and foregiveness.

Excerpts and book club questions (for Names I Call My Sister) are on my website if you'd like to check them out! Website is www.marycastillo.com!

Best.
Mary
Mary Castillo
If you switched lives with your best friend would you...
Read Switchcraft at www.marycastillo.com!

Learn more about Switchcraft.
New User
Jane_Tuesday
0 Kudos

Hi Daisy,

I would say maybe Can you Keep a Secret by Sophie Kinsella; its really funny and quirky

Dannie
-Jane.Tuesday
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Jane_Tuesday wrote:
Hi Daisy,

I would say maybe Can you Keep a Secret by Sophie Kinsella; its really funny and quirky

Dannie

I think all of her shopaholic books are really funny. They are really a light read, some seriousness, but mostly funny.
Contributor
lldavids44
0 Kudos

OF COURSE after three men in a boat connie willis wrote to say nothig of the dog which i've ready maybe five times and laugh out loud every time
becke_davis
0 Kudos

lldavids44 wrote:
OF COURSE after three men in a boat connie willis wrote to say nothig of the dog which i've ready maybe five times and laugh out loud every time

Jerome K. Jerome is the author. That is one of my all-time favorite books. For garden lovers, read Merry Hall by Beverley Nichols. It's hilarious!
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Jasper Fforde has two series that are little absurdist in nature and full of laughs. The Thursday Next series starts with The Eyre Affair and the Nursery Crime series starts with The Big Over Easy.

Daisy_Loo2 wrote:
I meet with some friends and discuss books, our own little book club, and have read all of their suggested reads. I really like all the books, however, I am looking for a discussion book, with lots of laughs...at no additional cost!! I've read Kite Runner, My Sisters Keeper, The Invisible Wall, Night, Snow Flower & Secret Fan, Midwives, The Double Bind, just to name a few.

I've just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, by Mark Haddon, thought it was quite funny in moments & would recommend this book. But, I'm still looking for more.

It will be my turn to suggest a book, and I'd like to take the group in a different direction. I'd like to read a book that will make me burst out in laughter, and have a gripping story line. I'd LOVE to hear suggestions!

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
AvidReaderFiction
0 Kudos

Fierce Pajamas (stories from The New Yorker)
Thank You For Smoking by Christopher Buckley
Mirth of a Nation (collection by Thurber House)
Moe Howard Died For Our Sins (short stories)
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
Lamb by Christopher Moore
Naked by David Sedaris
Pure Drivel by Steve Martin

New User
othor11
0 Kudos

I think I told a lot of folks that if you can stand the salty language of millitary folks, "Those Damn Flying Cows," How I made it to Vietnam is pretty funny account of a young man's semi-autographical fictional journey to the Vietnam War.
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

I just finished Candy Canes can be Dangerous by Laura Levine. It was so funny, like lol funny! It was in Candy Cane Murders- 3 stories by Joanne Fluke, Laura Levine and Leslie Meier. The Levine was absolutely the funniest.
Shopaholic series by Kinsella are lol fun too.
kaye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
Indigo-Dragonfly
0 Kudos

I recently read, "Breakfast with Buddah" and thought it was so cute and charming. The writer really made you fell like you were on the trip with he and the monk.

Very cute...I recommend!
New User
HumorBookReviews
0 Kudos

Reviews of MOE HOWARD DIED FOR OUR SINS

Reviews of MOE HOWARD DIED FOR OUR SINS (short story collection)

:smileyvery-happy:

from MIDWEST BOOK REVIEW:

"... Dale Andrew White is a natural born storytellers with an especial flair for blending fantasy, whimsy, satire and a fevered imagination into original stories that are replete with ribald humor and reader-engaging novelty. Subtitled 'made-to-fit tales for the maladjusted,' this collection of short stories showcase a genuine and offbeat talent... Highly recommended reading!"

from BOOKREVIEW.COM (Rod Clark, editor of ROSEBUD MAGAZINE):

"Dale Andrew White is a devious writer, and his new collection, Moe Howard Died For Our Sins, provides incriminating evidence of this. On the one hand, the flavor of his tales faintly evokes the decayed antebellum style of Southern literature that is both lyrically humorous and self-deprecating; the sort of thing we get in Faulkner's Sartoris or Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn. ... On the other hand, this is not the satire of Ambrose Bierce or H. L. Mencken. It is more like the kind of in-your-face semantic slapstick of a George Carlin or Lenny Bruce. ... To open this collection is to invite trouble - and probably enjoy it. ... Excellent!"

:smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

Re: funny books

I also recommend the Stephanie Plum books for laughter. Though, I would recommend the first five or six books. I am reading Fearless Fourteen and so far, there are some mild funnies. However, I just can not give up her books.
Contributor
Vicious1
0 Kudos

Hi Daisy-loo-

Books by Tim Dorsey are all the rage here in Florida. They are fun and sort of smart-a##.

Contributor
lldavids44
0 Kudos

and connie willis wrote to say nothing of the dog -- which i read and re-read, laughing hysterically every time
New User
Twilitelava
0 Kudos

Re: funny books

i read this short story for my literature class and it was a big hit. everyone in my class loved and there are some ironic but interesting characters. i will def. recommend good country people for big laughs

Lcf
New User
Lcf
0 Kudos

Daisy Loo,

Here is a great book, "The Spellman Files" by Lisa Lutz . It kept me in stitches the whole time I was reading it.  The sequel "Curse of the Spellmans" is just as good.

Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

okay... if you're looking for a funny book that's funny because it's mostly random but still has a plot line, I strongly suggest Princess Bride... it's hilarious. Then there's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which is just so random it really doesn't make much sense... but it had me in stitches.
"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
Inspired Contributor
osha341
0 Kudos

Dead Until Dark is from Charlaine Harris.  There is also a show on HBO called True Blood, Sunday at 9pm.  Chec

etwilight wrote:
As the non-offical Twilight posterboard, I recommend it for its riveting sarcasm. Edward is hysterical, espcially in the first couple chapters,I guarentee a laugh. He's extremely funny. But bear in mind, I have no idea how old you are, it is a teen novel so it's not that intense.

Also there's a series about vampires that I can't quite remember but the first book I believe is Dead Until Dark, there's some funny moments in there esp, with the vamp Eric around (another fav of mine).

Can't think of anything else right now, but I hope this helps you.

:smileywink:

k over at Paranormal as we talk about the show.
Lindy...
Powerful Women's Motto: Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says... "Oh sh_t...she's awake!!'
New User
unicornucopia
0 Kudos

I realize this thread was a couple weeks old, but I'm sort of surprised nobody recommended A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.  A flatulent intellectual roaming New Orleans insulting people, a hotdog stand, a parrot trained for strip tease?  Hee-larious.
New User
nurse40
0 Kudos

I have read numerous books by Marion Keyes. I find her books witty and a really good laugh. Her latest This Charming Man was great but may be a bit long for book club.  Also give Jennifer Weiner a try, again very funny.