Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Purpyl
0 Kudos

Re: Memoirs of a geisha

I read it & liked it very much. Like Snowflower and the Secret Fan, it angered me at how women were treated, but I couldn't put it down. It was so much better than the movie. I highly recommend it.
Contributor
rainy12
0 Kudos

I actually read the book and saw the movie. I believe that the book was better it was very discriptive and gave a lot of insight into the culture which i believe the film did not do very well.
Reader
Clerkc01
0 Kudos

This was my favorite book of all time!!! I loved this book and the movie also, but I am always partial to the book.  I stayed up almost all night and could not put this book down. A must read. 
Heather
Inspired Contributor
Purpyl
0 Kudos

I read the book a while back & loved it. Loved to hate it, too. Got angry about the way the girls were treated. Are geishas prostitutes? Geishas were chattle. The had to do what they were told when they were told. They had to keep up the expected appearance. They had to make money for the house that sponsored them. A very sad thing. All for the entertainment of men. They could bid on taking a girl's virginity. I swear, some men are not fully evolved. You can put them in a suit, but they're still animals. (Getting down off soap box now.)

The book was so much better than the movie. The movie left out about 90% of the story. I definitely recommend reading the book. Also Snowflower & the Secret Fan. Excellent.

Cathy

So many books...

CR: The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society

JF: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Woman in Black, The Hour I First Believed

Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

Yes, it's definately worth it. I read the book years ago and it was wonderful. Even though the movie was good as well, I would recommend reading the book first. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Happy reading!!

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
New User
hannah4colbert
0 Kudos

I absolutly adored it! Perhaps I'm just cheesy but this book openned my eyes to a new vivid culture full of creative fantasy and striking beauty.

I enjoyed the movie as well, not quite as much as the book ( you know how that goes fellow reader).  I loved the Characters, I loved the story, I loved the plot twists, I love the scenery, I loved the discription and I loved the names....hahah Hatsumomo? I don't recall how to spell it.

I freaking loved this book!

=D

New User
hannah4colbert
0 Kudos

I loved Snow Flower and the Secret Fan as well. Though grouped together the books are soooo completely different. So rich with culture and colorful with description.

I couldn't agree with you more. While reading the bit about the binding of the feet I felt almost ill.

I felt confused at the fact that the girl from the secret fan didn't acknoledge or seem to 'love' her daughters and show them compassion in the same way she mentioned repeatedly as she wished from her own mother.

I felt sorry for her old same.

wow, I need to reread that.  

Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

If you like reading books rich with culture, try Gail Tsukiyama. Her book Women of Silk is just wonderful as is the follwup book, The Language of Threads. Wonderful stories. Her last book The Street of a Thousand Blossoms is probably the most complex of her book but the story hooked me in and kept me very interested until the last page. Excellent reads!

kaye

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Contributor
ladycarolina
0 Kudos

I actually read the book years before I watched the movie. It is an unforgettableand a must read story. The movie was great. I understand that there's only so much a screenwriter can put a story in a few hours. I would still recommend watching the movie though, but yes, I agree that the book should be read first.
Contributor
chokeword
0 Kudos

Patty_Champion wrote:
I think of it as a "quiet" book.

Just the phrase I was looking for. I actually saw the movie first and adored it. It was a beautiful and passionate film. I picked up the book a few months later and I did like it. It was... nice. I certainly appreciated the depth it went into, both in descriptions and background. But unfortunately I thought it lacked the intesity I had expected of it. It was lovely, though, and I did enjoy it quite a bit. Memorable, although not one of my favorites.