Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

My 20 Best of 2010

Okay here are my picks for the best of 2010

My number one pick is

The Passage because it was the best in a number of genres and because after all this time I still can't stop talking about it, waiting for the next one etc.

 

the rest of the list is in no particular order or genre

False Mermaid 

Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin Series #1) 

Winter Garden 

The Postmistress

Eternal on the Water  

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium Trilogy Series #3) 

Rescuing Olivia 

Drawing in the Dust 

Outside the Ordinary World 

Saving Max 

City of Lost Girls (Ed Loy Series #5) 

Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series #8) 

Daughters of the Witching Hill 

The Lion (John Corey Series #5) 

Unspeakable 

Antiphon 

The Immortals (Taylor Jackson Series #5) 

Rebel 

The Reversal (Harry Bosch Series #16 & Mickey Haller Series #3) 

 

There are a few that almost made it and many that could have but these are my picks for the 20 best of 2010

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
Posts: 1,043
Registered: ‎03-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: My 20 Best of 2010

Fierce People  

The Postmistress 

Cutting for Stone 

 

 :smileysad:  I was able to read so little for fun this past year (work full time and school full time) that sadly, I only have 5 books on my top reads for 2010 and only 3 of them are fiction, so here they are:

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My 20 Best of 2010

 


pjpick wrote:

Fierce People  

The Postmistress 

Cutting for Stone 

 

 :smileysad:  I was able to read so little for fun this past year (work full time and school full time) that sadly, I only have 5 books on my top reads for 2010 and only 3 of them are fiction, so here they are:


 

Thanks for your choices pjpick, I have Abraham Verghese's non-fiction My Own Country in my TBR pile, I think I'll have to do some thinning of said pile while I'm on vacation this week. And I definitely have to check out Cutting for Stone, I've heard a lot about it.

Happy New Year :-)

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: My 20 Best of 2010

[ Edited ]

Although not all are fiction, I just checked my profile for what is in one of my "essential" lists:  Reads in 2010 I would recommend.   By coincidence, it has exactly 20 entries.

 

Although it has been almost exactly a year since I read

 

The Samurai  by Shusaku Endo, translated by Van C. Gessel, I believe that if I were to choose one book from the list to recommend, it would be that one.  It is such a powerful statement of history, of what an alien religion (in this case, Christianity) "feels like" and imposes upon those who come in contact, of where commitment can lead, of journeys of both the soul and the psyche.

 

 

But, not one on the list would I remove, either.  There have been lots of other good reading.  For whatever the reasons, many of which I would find difficult to articulate, these were the ones that made this list as the year 2010 passed.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My 20 Best of 2010

 


Peppermill wrote:

Although not all are fiction, I just checked my profile for what is in one of my "essential" lists:  Reads in 2010 I would recommend.   By coincidence, it has exactly 20 entries.

 

Although it has been almost exactly a year since I read

 

The Samurai  by Shusaku Endo, translated by Van C. Gessel, I believe that if I were to choose one book from the list to recommend, it would be that one.  It is such a powerful statement of history, of what an alien religion (in this case, Christianity) "feels like" and imposes upon those who come in contact, of where commitment can lead, of journeys of both the soul and the psyche.

 

 

But, not one on the list would I remove, either.  There have been lots of other good reading.  For whatever the reasons, many of which I would find difficult to articulate, these were the ones that made this list as the year 2010 passed.


 

Thanks Pepper, I will definitely check out your list.

Happy New Year!

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
Posts: 914
Registered: ‎08-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: My 20 Best of 2010

The single best book I read during 2010 is

 

Cutting for Stone

 

 

The best book published in 2010 that I read is 

 

The Lotus Eaters Helen, a college dropout in the 60s, heads to Vietnam to become a war photographer.  She doesn't know how long she will stay.  At first she stays because she becomes the lover of another photographer whose real love is the excitement of war and the photographs it generates.  After her lover dies, she stays because she too cannot leave the excitement of war and the art of war photography. The book has a film noir or b/w photo quality.  It's as if the war can only be survived if you experience it as something surreal, not truely as horrible as it is.

 

I am currently reading

 

Outside the Ordinary World  I love it already and look forward to discussing it here beginning Jan 10.  It will almost certainly go on my best list.

 

Two 2010 books I plan to read next are

 

 

The Imperfectionists (already purchased)

 

 

The Surrendered (my next purchase)

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My 20 Best of 2010

 


whiteginger wrote:

The single best book I read during 2010 is

 

Cutting for Stone

 

 

The best book published in 2010 that I read is 

 

The Lotus Eaters Helen, a college dropout in the 60s, heads to Vietnam to become a war photographer.  She doesn't know how long she will stay.  At first she stays because she becomes the lover of another photographer whose real love is the excitement of war and the photographs it generates.  After her lover dies, she stays because she too cannot leave the excitement of war and the art of war photography. The book has a film noir or b/w photo quality.  It's as if the war can only be survived if you experience it as something surreal, not truely as horrible as it is.

 

I am currently reading

 

Outside the Ordinary World  I love it already and look forward to discussing it here beginning Jan 10.  It will almost certainly go on my best list.

 

Two 2010 books I plan to read next are

 

 

The Imperfectionists (already purchased)

 

 

The Surrendered (my next purchase)

 


thanks for your suggestions whiteginger and I also look forward to the book discussion on 1-10

 

New User
sammyh-26
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎01-06-2011
0 Kudos

Re: My 20 Best of 2010

I have to agree whiteginger - Cutting for Stone was my top book pick for 2010.  I loved the writing style, the story was complex and always kept me glued to the pages and wanting more.  No. 1 for the year!

 

deb

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My 20 Best of 2010

 


sammyh-26 wrote:

I have to agree whiteginger - Cutting for Stone was my top book pick for 2010.  I loved the writing style, the story was complex and always kept me glued to the pages and wanting more.  No. 1 for the year!

 

deb


Thanks for you vote deb, it looks like I'll definitely have to pick this one up.