Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Need a GOOD Read.

Vermont -

Speaking of Anne Rivers Siddons - have you read Colony?  It was my first of hers (I've read them all) and still my favorite.  My copy looks like an old dishrag. :smileyhappy:

Her endings are what blow me away -- never quite what you're expecting, and yet  always that perfect finish. 

Stephanie
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Vermont -

Speaking of Anne Rivers Siddons - have you read Colony?  It was my first of hers (I've read them all) and still my favorite.  My copy looks like an old dishrag. :smileyhappy:

Her endings are what blow me away -- never quite what you're expecting, and yet  always that perfect finish. 

I don't know how to say this, other than say it.  I didn't care for Colony.  She didn't make me care for the characters, at all. I rarely stop before the ending of a book, but I did with this one.  I jumped to the ending, and I still didn't care what happened to these characters.  I have no explanation for this.  I know she's one of the most popular writers, and yours, and I'm sorry she left me cold.
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi.. Never did read Colony,but now I want too after reading about it on BN...Downtown,Islands(loved that book) Sweetwater Creek....She just pulls you in...I think for me its especially gradifying..the Maine connection...I started reading Southern Writers when we lived in Georgia,now that I live in Vermont,I try and read Vt. writers..it always gives one a feel for the people..etc..I must find this one author,Southern Male Writer..written 2000-2006   it will come to me..Kentucky,mining........
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:
Hi.. Never did read Colony,but now I want too after reading about it on BN...Downtown,Islands(loved that book) Sweetwater Creek....She just pulls you in...I think for me its especially gradifying..the Maine connection...I started reading Southern Writers when we lived in Georgia,now that I live in Vermont,I try and read Vt. writers..it always gives one a feel for the people..etc..I must find this one author,Southern Male Writer..written 2000-2006   it will come to me..Kentucky,mining........

Is your Ky author Silas House? 

Teresa

KathyS
0 Kudos

tabcat wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Is your Ky author Silas House? 

Teresa

Silas House is one of the best...Clays Quilt, Coal Tattoo, and A Parchment of Leaves (My all time favorite)
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Thank you so much..not sure if I read the 3rd one..I must BN him to read about him...His books are so intense,that works for me especially this time of year....Vtc
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Kathy,

No need to apologize, I'm not offended!  Perhaps her more recent works would suit you more. 

I think House Next Door  is  a wonderful example of her versatility - not sure you'd care about those characters either, but it certainly is a bizarre tale with a surprising ending.

Same idea - have you read Edith Wharton?  I loved Age of Innocence (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) and Ethan Frome  but for whatever reason, could not engage with Summer.   It could have been merely that I picked it up at the wrong time of my life.  Depending upon what I've been reading, it's sometimes hard to make a leap to something completely different.  I think that's common - people tend to read series or a string of one author's books maybe because it applies or is comfortable at that time.  Or, it could have been that whatever my own circumstances were at the time, the story just didn't mesh.

Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Stephanie wrote:

Kathy,

No need to apologize, I'm not offended!  Perhaps her more recent works would suit you more. 

I think House Next Door  is  a wonderful example of her versatility - not sure you'd care about those characters either, but it certainly is a bizarre tale with a surprising ending.

Same idea - have you readm Edith Wharton?  I loved Age of Innocence (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) and Ethan Frome  but for whatever reason, could not engage with Summer.   It could have been merely that I picked it up at the wrong time of my life.  Depending upon what I've been reading, it's sometimes hard to make a leap to something completely different.  I think that's common - people tend to read series or a string of one author's books maybe because it applies or is comfortable at that time.  Or, it could have been that whatever my own circumstances were at the time, the story just didn't mesh.

Stephanie, thanks for the recommends.  I always appreciate them.   I've wanted to read Wharton, but just have not gotten around to them.  They'll always be authors out there that I've never read.  I have a bookcase full of them!

I guess we can't always predict our feel for a book will always be what someone else will feel about it.  As much as I try to like a book that someone recommends to me, and with yours I always have, it just sometimes doesn't gel, like you say. 

I was asked, once, whether I thought my taste in writers has changed over the years.  I had to think about this.  My tastes have changed, but in a way that I think is simply an expansion, because I haven't forsaken my favorite authors for any of those reasons pertaining to my own changes.  Even when one of my favs comes out with a book I'm not fond of,  I'll always stay with them.  As consistent as we want our writers, they themselves can evolve in ways they don't even know.  Or maybe want to change their writing, just for the sake of change. 

I sincerely wanted to like Colony, to see what you saw in it.  I wished, at the time I read it, we could have had a discussion on it.  It did touch me in places.  The author writes beautiful prose, and I recognized those places, and I did sympathize with some of the characters, but they just wouldn't let me stay close to them.  I felt like they kept pushing me away, and I wanted to hate them.  So, maybe it was just me.   I just wanted it to end. That's as close as I can come to describing my feelings for this book. 

Maybe one of these days I'll give her another try.  :smileyhappy:

Kathy

Message Edited by KathyS on 02-21-2009 08:54 AM
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

I thoght I would post a few of My Favorites...Joanne Harris"Five Quarters of the l'Orange.the French Countryside,WW2 its a unique story,,..I like all that I have read by her except Chocolat..because I saw the Movie.....on to another ,I am  all over the place these days...Losing the Moon..Patti Callahan Henry...because I was a book snob I would never read Nora Roberts "Dance upon Air"its a trilogy,so I have 2 more to go,thats how it goes,one never know what might interest us at certain times..VTC.....

New User
readerCS
0 Kudos

Hey Nightreader, I have read some Jimmy Buffet books lately and realy liked them. I recommend"A Salty Piece of Land" and "Where Is Joe merchant".  I was disappointed in "Swine Not". Just something to throw out there. I might add one of my fave's of recent reading, "Prince of Tides".
New User
readerCS
0 Kudos

I loved "She's Come Undone"!!!
Frequent Contributor
Fond_of_Books
0 Kudos

TheNightReader wrote:

Hey, I've been kind of in a reading slump and I just can't seem to find a good book lately. So I was wondering if any one here could help :]

A list of my favorite books are:

The Time Travelers Wife

Water For Elephants

Memory Keepers Daughters

Harry Potter Series

A Thousand Splendid Suns

The Kite Runner

Towelhead

One Flew Over The Cuckoo Nest

What Dreams May Come

The Book Thief

Heartsick

Sweetheart

I enjoyed several of those you listed. Some I have not read. Here's what I've enjoyed recently:

Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (didn't see it on your list. It's great)

Promise Not To Tell by Jennifer McMahon

Nineteen Minutes or My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (an older book, but I really found it interesting)

Sepulchure or Labyrinth by Kate Mosse (historial/fantasy type genre)

The Historian (about Dracula in a totally different way)

I hope you find something you enjoy.

Fond_of_Books

She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain. ~Louisa May Alcott
New User
readerCS
0 Kudos

Water For Elephants...........excellent!!!

Reading The Hobbit now. Came heavily recommended by my son. Very Interesting!!!

Happy Journey!!

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Definitely a Dot Benton Frank fan needs to read Shem Creek. That was the first I had read on barnes and noble with you, Miss Stephanie. That was an eye opener for sure.  Her writing just sends you in heavenly bliss for quite awhile. I have read all of her books. Great writer...... 

Stephanie wrote:

Patty,

Full of Grace is my favorite book of Dorothea Benton Frank's, and as soon as she has a new book out, I will be sure to email her and ask her to join us here.  She's a ball of fire, and has a few more books out you might be interested in.  Shem Creek, Pawleys Island, Land of Mango Sunsets, Bulls Island, Plantation, just to name a few.  It might just be simpler to search her name from a B&N books page. :smileyhappy:  I would recommend Shem Creek next.    

Contributor
imaladygolfer
0 Kudos

Here are a couple for you:

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Gardens of Water by Alan Drew

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

The Nazi Officer's Wife (How one Jewish woman survived the Holocaust) by Edith Hahn Beer (a memoir)

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Soloist by Steve Lopez

The last two are coming out this year as movies.

They are all very different!

Happy reading.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Dorothea Benton Frank

[ Edited ]

Hi, Linda! 

Let's see if we can bring Miss Dot back to us?  She was writing a sequel to Sullivans Island.  I can't wait to read it!  That one was my favorite, but all are wonderful!

Kathy

kiakar wrote:

Definitely a Dot Benton Frank fan needs to read Shem Creek. That was the first I had read on barnes and noble with you, Miss Stephanie. That was an eye opener for sure.  Her writing just sends you in heavenly bliss for quite awhile. I have read all of her books. Great writer...... 

Stephanie wrote:

Patty,

Full of Grace is my favorite book of Dorothea Benton Frank's, and as soon as she has a new book out, I will be sure to email her and ask her to join us here.  She's a ball of fire, and has a few more books out you might be interested in.  Shem Creek, Pawleys Island, Land of Mango Sunsets, Bulls Island, Plantation, just to name a few.  It might just be simpler to search her name from a B&N books page. :smileyhappy:  I would recommend Shem Creek next.    

Message Edited by KathyS on 02-24-2009 08:31 PM
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Dorothea Benton Frank

Kathy,

You don't honestly think we could keep Dot away, do you? :smileyvery-happy:

I will definitely be hollering in her ear when the time comes. 

Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Kathy,

You don't honestly think we could keep Dot away, do you? :smileyvery-happy:

I will definitely be hollering in her ear when the time comes. 

:smileyvery-happy: 

Well, Stephanie,  I already hollered in one of them!  Pick the other side, so we can make her completely deaf!  She said she was "way down in the writer's hole, finishing a book".  Not sure how far down that is, but I hope she gets water and food....and takes a shower and washes her hair once in a while!

Contributor
chokeword
0 Kudos

What a great list of books! There are some awsome suggestions. I'll ditto most of them, but add a special nudge for Wally Lamb, Tracy Chevelier, and newcomer Andrew Davidson's Gargoyle. 

I'll only add a couple of unmentioned titles;

The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy

The Piano Teacher - Janice Y. K. Lee

Good luck! 

New User
gregarious85
0 Kudos

For escapism have you tried <a href="http://www.bookarmy.com/Books/9781417745661_His_Dark_Materials.aspx">His Dark Materials</a> by Philip Pullman. Its probably one of the best novels (trilogy) i've ever reader...the world he creates is fully realised as are the characters. Don't be put off by the movie, it was terrible. 

I'd also recommend anything by <a href="http://www.bookarmy.com/Books/9780719066320_Michael_Ondaatje.aspx"> Michael Ondaatje</a> . He wrote the English Patient and his latest novel Divisadero was brilliant. I've been reading his poetry recently as well.