Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Breaking the Code  

synopsis:

On his 81st birthday, without explanation, Karen Alaniz's father placed two weathered notebooks on her lap. Inside were more than 400 pages of letters he'd written to his parents during WWII. She began reading them, and the more she read, the more she discovered about the man she never knew and the secret role he played in WWII.

They began to meet for lunch every week, for her to ask him questions, and him to provide the answers. And with painful memories now at the forefront of his thoughts, her father began to suffer, making their meetings as much about healing as discovery. Thus began an unintended journey—one taken by a father and daughter who thought they knew each other—as they became newly bound in ways that transcended age and time.

I posted a review of this wonderful book on my blog:

http://kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer.blogspot.com/

https://www.facebook.com/kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

I wanted to give you all a heads up for our February 2012 read.

Paris Noire  

Here's my review

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/09/review-of-paris-noire-by-francine.html?spref=gr#close=1

Hi Deb,

Now you sparked my interest.  I'm going to purchase the book and get back into the book club discussions.  Definitely see you in Feb.  Am still missing FL too much!

Literature

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I just posted a review of Ivan And Misha by Michael Alenyikov. I loved the book by the way.

Ivan and Misha  

Here is my review if anyone wants to read it: http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2011/09/ivan-and-misha-by-michael-alenyikov.html

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

Ryan_G wrote:

I just posted a review of Ivan And Misha by Michael Alenyikov. I loved the book by the way.

Ivan and Misha  

Here is my review if anyone wants to read it: http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2011/09/ivan-and-misha-by-michael-alenyikov.html

Great review I am now following you :smileyhappy:

dhaupt

Ryan_G wrote:

Ivan and Misha  

Great review Ryan, thanks for sharing it

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Enterprise Reviews

I am reviewing four titles from one series all from one author.  Star Trek Enterprise is the prequel series before the orginal series set one hundred years before Captain Kirk's era.

These four titles are by Dave Stern who I believe best captured the series in the four books then the other authors that have wrote Enterprise.

Star Trek Enterprise  

Rosetta is set sometime between the end of season three and beginning of season four of the show.  In it, Hoshi Sato whose langauge skills were damaged by the Xindi in season three of the show, she has to fight through her trouble as an unknown race sends a message that unless it can be answered a war will break out.  

Besides this plot, there's also an attack that leaves Enterprise without Archer.  Without their leader, Commander Tucker has trouble holding everything together and leans on T'Pol for aide.  Also the binary make an appearance in this book.  Which are a race that speaks in the lanaguage binary code.  

Star Trek Enterprise 

Star Trek Enterprise   

The next two I believe I've reviewed before but, I can't remember for sure.  These two are a two part story and you have to read them both to get the entire story.

In Daedalus the first one, Tucker is asked to work on the Suliban ship stolen in the pilot episode of Enterprise.  Cause he has trouble with the consoles readings he asks Hoshi Sato to help him.  During the time they are in the ship though, Enterprise is attacked.  They can't do anything for Enterprise so they escape in the small alien ship, but the ship is damaged.  Fortunately they find a group of rebels that help them but, the problem is they are both sick by some weird illness and the doctor among the rebels doesn't have the skill of Doctor Phlox.

In the second book, Archer leads an escape plan from the terrorists that overtook his ship.  The problem is though that Archer and his crew are suffering from the same illness that Tucker and Hoshi have.  Also that Reed and Mayweather are nowhere to be found.  Meanwhile with Hoshi's condition getting grave Tucker takes matters in his own hands and goes to find Enterprise.  He does but soon after he's grabbed from behind.  His heart sinks for a moment but then hears a familar voice.  Reed and Mayweather were still on Enterprise now it was under the control of the terrorists and, its up to three to retake it.

Star Trek Enterprise  

Reed has to deal with writing a death letter to a family of crew member.  To make this more difficult though he had relationship with this crew member, also other a very weird situation he is responsible for her death as well.  He knows the entire truth is so fantastic that no one would believe it but, he doesn't believe in lying to the loved ones either so he's torn.  

If you were a fan of the series you would love these four gems have a good day and happy reading all.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Re: Enterprise Reviews

The Soldier's Wife  

Although the writing style reads like a light novel, the issues the story presents certainly couldn't be considered light at all. The story focuses on the internal struggles civilians and soldiers who were civilians might face during times of war. Should a person of an opposing force be held responsible for the larger actions of his army? Where do loyalties lie? Leroy allows the reader to ponder these ethical questions. I applaud the author for not relying to much on the romantic relationshipe to propel the story.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Canyons of Night  

I had preordered this book and was delighted when it arrived. Having read all of the Arcane Society novels, I knew that once I started reading, I’d be unable to stop.  I highly recommend this series, if you are looking for a mystery, romance thriller with a paranormal twist.  Second Sight by Amanda Quick was the first paranormal book I’d ever read.  I read the back cover and said, “Paranormal?” “What?” “Yuck!”  My husband brought this book home to me and since I didn’t want to hurt his feelings; I dutifully began reading and thus my love for paranormal books began. This opened the door to all the genres for me.  Don’t be afraid to try a new genre, you may be amazed at what you find.

For those of you who have not yet read this series, I want to give you a little background on the author.  Jayne Anne Krentz writes all of the Arcane Society novels using three different names. When writing about the past, she uses the pseudonym Amanda Quick.  When she writes a contemporary story she uses her own name.  When she writes about the future on a colonized planet called Harmony, she writes as Jayne Castle. While all of them can be read as a standalone or as part of a trilogy, I recommend reading them in order.  I have added the author’s link at the bottom of this review, so that you can see the chronological order of the series.

Canyon of the Night, the third book in the Looking Glass Trilogy, takes place on the colonized planet of Harmony.  The setting is Rainshadow Island.  Protagonist, Charlotte Enright is back on the island after inheriting an antique shop called The Looking Glass.   Slade Attridge, a former FBPI agent, returns to accept the chief of police position.  They both feel an instant connection, but personal demons leave them leery.   Things quickly heat up after a break-in and murder at the Looking Glass.  Someone on the island wants them dead and something is definitely wrong with  the  Preserve.  I liked the main characters and was intrigued by some of the town’s people.  Foreshadowing leads me to believe we will meet them again.   The novel is filled with suspense as they work to unravel the mystery.  The romance is steamy and discreet, a talent that only Castle (Krentz) can deliver.  While wrapping up the murder investigation, the book left many unanswered questions about the Preserve.  The story kept me completely engrossed and had me saying things like, “one more chapter and I’ll go to bed.”  I am looking forward to the next book in this series and hoping for some answers.

KathyS
0 Kudos

The Soldier's Wife

pjpick wrote:

The Soldier's Wife  

Although the writing style reads like a light novel, the issues the story presents certainly couldn't be considered light at all. The story focuses on the internal struggles civilians and soldiers who were civilians might face during times of war. Should a person of an opposing force be held responsible for the larger actions of his army? Where do loyalties lie? Leroy allows the reader to ponder these ethical questions. I applaud the author for not relying to much on the romantic relationshipe to propel the story.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Canyons of Night

kimba88 wrote:

Canyons of Night  

I had preordered this book and was delighted when it arrived. Having read all of the Arcane Society novels, I knew that once I started reading, I’d be unable to stop.  I highly recommend this series, if you are looking for a mystery, romance thriller with a paranormal twist.  Second Sight by Amanda Quick was the first paranormal book I’d ever read.  I read the back cover and said, “Paranormal?” “What?” “Yuck!”  My husband brought this book home to me and since I didn’t want to hurt his feelings; I dutifully began reading and thus my love for paranormal books began. This opened the door to all the genres for me.  Don’t be afraid to try a new genre, you may be amazed at what you find.

For those of you who have not yet read this series, I want to give you a little background on the author.  Jayne Anne Krentz writes all of the Arcane Society novels using three different names. When writing about the past, she uses the pseudonym Amanda Quick.  When she writes a contemporary story she uses her own name.  When she writes about the future on a colonized planet called Harmony, she writes as Jayne Castle. While all of them can be read as a standalone or as part of a trilogy, I recommend reading them in order.  I have added the author’s link at the bottom of this review, so that you can see the chronological order of the series.

Canyon of the Night, the third book in the Looking Glass Trilogy, takes place on the colonized planet of Harmony.  The setting is Rainshadow Island.  Protagonist, Charlotte Enright is back on the island after inheriting an antique shop called The Looking Glass.   Slade Attridge, a former FBPI agent, returns to accept the chief of police position.  They both feel an instant connection, but personal demons leave them leery.   Things quickly heat up after a break-in and murder at the Looking Glass.  Someone on the island wants them dead and something is definitely wrong with  the  Preserve.  I liked the main characters and was intrigued by some of the town’s people.  Foreshadowing leads me to believe we will meet them again.   The novel is filled with suspense as they work to unravel the mystery.  The romance is steamy and discreet, a talent that only Castle (Krentz) can deliver.  While wrapping up the murder investigation, the book left many unanswered questions about the Preserve.  The story kept me completely engrossed and had me saying things like, “one more chapter and I’ll go to bed.”  I am looking forward to the next book in this series and hoping for some answers.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:

I am reviewing four titles from one series all from one author.  Star Trek Enterprise is the prequel series before the orginal series set one hundred years before Captain Kirk's era.

These four titles are by Dave Stern who I believe best captured the series in the four books then the other authors that have wrote Enterprise.

Star Trek Enterprise  

Rosetta is set sometime between the end of season three and beginning of season four of the show.  In it, Hoshi Sato whose langauge skills were damaged by the Xindi in season three of the show, she has to fight through her trouble as an unknown race sends a message that unless it can be answered a war will break out.  

Besides this plot, there's also an attack that leaves Enterprise without Archer.  Without their leader, Commander Tucker has trouble holding everything together and leans on T'Pol for aide.  Also the binary make an appearance in this book.  Which are a race that speaks in the lanaguage binary code.  

Star Trek Enterprise 

Star Trek Enterprise   

The next two I believe I've reviewed before but, I can't remember for sure.  These two are a two part story and you have to read them both to get the entire story.

In Daedalus the first one, Tucker is asked to work on the Suliban ship stolen in the pilot episode of Enterprise.  Cause he has trouble with the consoles readings he asks Hoshi Sato to help him.  During the time they are in the ship though, Enterprise is attacked.  They can't do anything for Enterprise so they escape in the small alien ship, but the ship is damaged.  Fortunately they find a group of rebels that help them but, the problem is they are both sick by some weird illness and the doctor among the rebels doesn't have the skill of Doctor Phlox.

In the second book, Archer leads an escape plan from the terrorists that overtook his ship.  The problem is though that Archer and his crew are suffering from the same illness that Tucker and Hoshi have.  Also that Reed and Mayweather are nowhere to be found.  Meanwhile with Hoshi's condition getting grave Tucker takes matters in his own hands and goes to find Enterprise.  He does but soon after he's grabbed from behind.  His heart sinks for a moment but then hears a familar voice.  Reed and Mayweather were still on Enterprise now it was under the control of the terrorists and, its up to three to retake it.

Star Trek Enterprise  

Reed has to deal with writing a death letter to a family of crew member.  To make this more difficult though he had relationship with this crew member, also other a very weird situation he is responsible for her death as well.  He knows the entire truth is so fantastic that no one would believe it but, he doesn't believe in lying to the loved ones either so he's torn.  

If you were a fan of the series you would love these four gems have a good day and happy reading all.

Thank you Stepanie for your insight into this amazing series and I know that people who love it will benefit from your words.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

The Soldier's Wife  

Thanks pj, and what a great basis for a novel

dhaupt
0 Kudos

kimba88 wrote:

Canyons of Night  

Thanks kimba, first I hope you're feeling better and second I really want to read this book, I too have read all in the series but until I find a spare minute or two I don't have time to read it. :smileysad:

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Thanks!  Hope you entered to win a copy!

kimba88 wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Ivan and Misha  

Great review I am now following you :smileyhappy:

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Thanks!

dhaupt wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Ivan and Misha  

Great review Ryan, thanks for sharing it

dhaupt
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

I wanted to give you all a heads up for our February 2012 read.

Paris Noire  

Here's my review

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/09/review-of-paris-noire-by-francine.html?spref=gr#close=1

Hi Deb,

Now you sparked my interest.  I'm going to purchase the book and get back into the book club discussions.  Definitely see you in Feb.  Am still missing FL too much!

Literature

Literature, I'm so happy you're coming back, I've missed you. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Baker's Wife  

This was a suspenseful thriller with religious overtones, that had me second guessing till the end.

See my review on my blog:

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

kimba88 wrote:

The Baker's Wife  

This was a suspenseful thriller with religious overtones, that had me second guessing till the end.

See my review on my blog:

Looks like a good one! Might have to put it on my TBR list.