dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

karen205 wrote:

Secret Affair  I am reading this new book called Secret Affair. A great book so far.

Hi Karen, welcome to the board.

Tell us a little about the book and why you like it

I hope you'll stop by often :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Astonishing Xmen volume 1

Astonishing X-Men, Volume 1  

This graphic novel available for nook color and tablet is written by Buffy Vampire Slayer and Firefly Creator Joss Weldon. The story surrounds the creating of the cure to being a mutant as general public claims being a mutant is a disease. The team in the story is Cyclops, Beast, Emma Frost, Shadowcat along with her pet dragon Lockheed yes i said pet dragon it's small dragon though, and of course Wolverine. The Xmen battle an alien Ord who is partly responsible for the creation of the cure, i believe his motive he's very powerful and he believes without mutants he could take over the world with ease. S.H.I.E.L.D. also appears in this story and the return of an xman thought to be dead but apparently not. Hope you enjoyed the review.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Re: Astonishing Xmen volume 1

Astonishing X-Men, Volume 2  

The story continues in volume 2, in this volume professor Xavier and Colossus join the same cast from the first volume. Also the Xmen team up with the Fantastic Four as well. Their danger room which is where the Xmen train their powers has become alive and the a.i. wants to kill them. The Xmen must protect their father figure professor Xavier from the danger room's a.i. and they must destroy the machine before it kills them all. Next time volume three to be reviewed. Once again as a reminder you need a nook color or tablet to read these.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Astonishing Xmen volume 3 review

Astonishing X-Men, Volume 3  

The story of the past two stories continues in this volume, in volume 3 the hellfire club attack the xmen and at first win but they underestimated Kitty Pryde aka Shadowcat who rescues her friends and the Xmen make the hellfire club pay for messing with them, volume four brings the conclusion of this series review of it will be soon.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Astonishing Xmen volume 3 review

shadowcat80 wrote:

Astonishing X-Men, Volume 3  

The story of the past two stories continues in this volume, in volume 3 the hellfire club attack the xmen and at first win but they underestimated Kitty Pryde aka Shadowcat who rescues her friends and the Xmen make the hellfire club pay for messing with them, volume four brings the conclusion of this series review of it will be soon.

Thanks Stephanie. I always loved the X-Men and especially Wolverine :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Overseas

Overseas  

If this doesn't make it to the top of my best of 2012 list it will be a really remarkable rest of the year.

It's a debut novel, and I haven't read more descriptive, beautiful and eloquent literature in a while.

I'm going to ask her to be a featured author in 2013, I know all my members here would love this novel.

I will have an author Q&A on the 10th so be sure and check it out it will include my review.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I don't know if anyone has had a chance to read it yet, but Gillespie and I by Jane Harris is by far my favorite book of the year.  If anyone want to, they can read my review here.  But either way everyone really needs to read this book.

Gillespie and I  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Astonishing Xmen volume 4 review

Astonishing X-Men, Volume 4  

This is final volume of an epic story now i do want to point out there is a volume 5 for sale but it is telling a different story line. The four volumes i have reviewed should be read in sequence. On to the review, many comasic fans know shield well but few know shield's sister organization sword they are much the same only sword deals with aliens and outer space while shield protects the earth from home threats. Anyways sword recruits the xmen to deal with alien race that attacked them in volume 1, they send the xmen to their planet now the reason they attacked is they believed that the xman collosos is destined to destroy their world. They're like all four volumes have been action packed and in this one besides sword's agent brand who is sword's equal to shield's nick fury, also appearing are spiderman, the avengers and the fantastic four as well. It was a great conclusion to this story.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I don't know if anyone has had a chance to read it yet, but Gillespie and I by Jane Harris is by far my favorite book of the year.  If anyone want to, they can read my review here.  But either way everyone really needs to read this book.

Gillespie and I  

Thanks Ryan, your recommendation is a great reason for me to check something out thanks

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Astonishing Xmen volume 4 review

shadowcat80 wrote:

Astonishing X-Men, Volume 4  

This is final volume of an epic story now i do want to point out there is a volume 5 for sale but it is telling a different story line. The four volumes i have reviewed should be read in sequence. On to the review, many comasic fans know shield well but few know shield's sister organization sword they are much the same only sword deals with aliens and outer space while shield protects the earth from home threats. Anyways sword recruits the xmen to deal with alien race that attacked them in volume 1, they send the xmen to their planet now the reason they attacked is they believed that the xman collosos is destined to destroy their world. They're like all four volumes have been action packed and in this one besides sword's agent brand who is sword's equal to shield's nick fury, also appearing are spiderman, the avengers and the fantastic four as well. It was a great conclusion to this story.

Thanks Stephanie, love the X-Men

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Deb, 

I think you would love it.  I don't think I will ever get tired of recommending this one.

dhaupt wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Gillespie and I  

Thanks Ryan, your recommendation is a great reason for me to check something out thanks

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

X-23  

this is the origin story of Laura aka X-23 when her father Wolverine escaped weapon x there was a sample of his dna left over. Weapon X project decides to use it to clone him but with an incomplete sample they instead have a pregnancy with one of the scientists cause the dna wasn't complete the gender became female from the mother. Her mother tried raising Laura to be a child but the people in charge wanted a weapon. Well old saying be careful what you wish for cause you might just get it and another saying is who doesn't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. They couldn't control wolverine and surprise surprise they can't control his daughter either.
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Ryan.. I put it in My Cart..BC of your Recommendation...and The Synopsis....Now

Three Junes I have been wanting you to Read this for a While....I read The

The Fear Artist was so impressed with Tim's writing and It opened Doors I thought I had Closed..Glad I received it from the Author..We have chatted a bit about it..A difficult Book to write.. But his Talent shines through..Will continue with The Poke Rafferty Series..absolutely....Also a different genre "Lifting The Wheel of Karma..Paul H.Magid..A Novel..

Lifting the Wheel of Karma  .Its a Beautiful Story..Thats all I will say..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
KathyS
0 Kudos

The Shoemaker's Wife, and other assorted reviews

http://kathys-aliceinwonderland.blogspot.com/

WARNING: My thoughts on my blog, in reviews, are both technically and emotionally based, and I, for the most part, don't tell the story.  So, you might not find all my reviews favorable.

In my review of The Shoemaker's Wife, I think what I wrote is pretty explanatory, if you don't like to cry ALL THE WAY THROUGH a book, don't read this one.  Adriana might think this is a good thing, I personally can't take it.....Adriana Trigiani is a good writer, and a good story teller, but I feel this story was based too much on emotion; and as she told me, she cried and drank coffee, all while going through the writing of this story.  I also found a few typos, which of course is not entirely her fault, but you'd think Harper would know better.

It's not that I wouldn't recommend this book, I definitely would, if I knew the reader.  

I dearly loved the story in her two Novels, Brava Valentine, and Very Valentine....a love story in sequel for sure, and creativity in shoe making at it's finest!  :heart:

Enjoy!

Kathy

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: The Shoemaker's Wife, and other assorted reviews

KathyS wrote:

WARNING: My thoughts on my blog, in reviews, are both technically and emotionally based, and I, for the most part, don't tell the story.  So, you might not find all my reviews favorable.

In my review of The Shoemaker's Wife, I think what I wrote is pretty explanatory, if you don't like to cry ALL THE WAY THROUGH a book, don't read this one.  Adriana might think this is a good thing, I personally can't take it.....Adriana Trigiani is a good writer, and a good story teller, but I feel this story was based too much on emotion; and as she told me, she cried and drank coffee, all while going through the writing of this story.  I also found a few typos, which of course is not entirely her fault, but you'd think Harper would know better.

It's not that I wouldn't recommend this book, I definitely would, if I knew the reader.  

I dearly loved the story in her two Novels, Brava Valentine, and Very Valentine....a love story in sequel for sure, and creativity in shoe making at it's finest!  :heart:

Enjoy!

Kathy

Thanks Kathy, I don't like to cry the whole way through a book usually I like to have a lettle light at the end of my tunnel

KathyS
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Enjoy!

Kathy

Thanks Kathy, I don't like to cry the whole way through a book usually I like to have a lettle light at the end of my tunnel

the story is there, but the light is dim......and then the dog dies...

dhaupt
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Enjoy!

Kathy

Wow, nuf said :smileyhappy:

Thanks, I was considering this because of how much I enjoyed her Valentine novels

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

The Shoemakers Wife has received very good Buzz from Independent Reviewers. I cried while reading "The October Daye Series"Seanan McGuire.. It happens when something in s book triggers an emotion(s)..Since my TBR pile needs attention I need another Bookcase lol..and ebooks are being collected,I will put the Book on my list I have read only one of her books " Big Stone Gap" Which I did love..So long ago..Tks for both of your comments..Susan
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
KathyS
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:
Thanks Kathy, I don't like to cry the whole way through a book usually I like to have a little light at the end of my tunnel

Wow, nuf said :smileyhappy:

Thanks, I was considering this because of how much I enjoyed her Valentine novels

Deb,

I would love to hear a second opinion of this novel.  It could be just me and my perception. I think when a novel is written over a twenty year period, like this one was, and is about a lifetime of people, it can lose something in condensing it down to one book.  I think a reader needs to take a break, taking a breath in-between the highs and lows of these characters. Too much death, too much saccharin, too much description, too much of anything can overwhelm the reader, especially a reader like me.  For me is wasn't a happy ending, only a resolved one.

Okay, nuf said.  :smileyhappy:

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I just posted my review of The Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones.  It wasn't what I thought it was going to be, but I ended up loving it.  It's a strange mixture of genres written in such a way that kept me glued to her writing style.  Here is my full review if anyone is interested: http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2012/05/uninvited-guests-by-saide-jones.html

The Uninvited Guests