Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Absolutist by John Boyne - A short review

[ Edited ]

Ryan_G wrote:

It wasn't really the way the book ended that broke my heart, it was the waste of life and the promise of life that I found to be the most upsetting.

This is the last paragraph of the review I wrote for the blog:

I can pretty much tell you in one word the motivating factor for most of what happens, fear.  Fear of the unknown, but more importantly, fear of self.  It's the fear of allowing yourself to be who and what you are, that sets everything else into motion.  Neither one of these men can fully accept or deal with what they are feeling or what they did as a result.  It's the waste of life, both physical and emotional, that moved me in a way few books can manage.  It's what happens to both these men as a result of fear that broke my heart and forced me to think of the what might have beens in my own life.  It's not a reaction I want to have from every book I read, but when it does happen, I'm grateful for it.

Thanks Ryan, that's a wonderful observation and it's true for me too. The books that I read that make me take a good look at my own choices and paths are the ones that are sometimes the hardest to read and to talk about, but then life is like that and I guess as long as we're able to take the good with the bad and not only learn from it but grow from it then it's worth it.
could you give us a link to the review Ryan, I'd like to read it please :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Absolutist by John Boyne - A short review

Thanks Deb :-)   Here is the link:  http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-absolutist-by-john-boyne.html

 


dhaupt wrote:
Thanks Ryan, that's a wonderful observation and it's true for me too. The books that I read that make me take a good look at my own choices and paths are the ones that are sometimes the hardest to read and to talk about, but then life is like that and I guess as long as we're able to take the good with the bad and not only learn from it but grow from it then it's worth it.
could you give us a link to the review Ryan, I'd like to read it please :smileyhappy:



"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Absolutist by John Boyne - A short review

I agree with Deb 100% Ryan..Sent your Review to a friend..The time Frame fits in well with Downton Abbey..Where homosexual aspects are present...I am in DA rehab. .January 2013 for us..Tomorrow for Britain. ..
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: The Absolutist by John Boyne - A short review


Ryan_G wrote:

It wasn't really the way the book ended that broke my heart, it was the waste of life and the promise of life that I found to be the most upsetting.

 

This is the last paragraph of the review I wrote for the blog:

 

I can pretty much tell you in one word the motivating factor for most of what happens, fear.  Fear of the unknown, but more importantly, fear of self.  It's the fear of allowing yourself to be who and what you are, that sets everything else into motion.  Neither one of these men can fully accept or deal with what they are feeling or what they did as a result.  It's the waste of life, both physical and emotional, that moved me in a way few books can manage.  It's what happens to both these men as a result of fear that broke my heart and forced me to think of the what might have been in my own life.  It's not a reaction I want to have from every book I read, but when it does happen, I'm grateful for it.


KathyS wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Kathy,

 

Thank you and I hope you like it.  It was one of those rare books that really moved me.


KathyS wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I don't normally read a ton of books that breaks my heart, this is one of the few.  Here is my full review:  

 

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-absolutist-by-john-boyne.html

 

The Absolutist  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Ryan,

I decided to get this book.  If a book can suck you in the way this one seemed to do, I know he must be a decent writer.  :smileyhappy:  I only skimmed through a little of the synopsis, since I never read all the synopsis on book covers either, only the first sentence of two, I rely primarily on blurbs, and recommends.  I also don't read all of most reviews.  Ryan, you do a good job of not telling me too much right off the bat...just enough for me to catch the gist of what the story is about and how it made you feel, and that's it.  It was enough.  Thanks.

Kathy


 


Ryan, I just finished the last three pages of this book this morning.  I didn't cry, nor did I hold onto the same feelings that you did. I didn't invest myself in it the way that you must have. The sadness was there, I could feel it the whole way through, and wished it away, but I knew I couldn't.  I've lived on the edge of life, my whole life, and I know these emotional feelings.

 

I probably won't be writing a review of this book, but I will say a few words here.

 

This story intrigued me from the onset, as the first relevant circumstances gave me a clue, a feeling I knew of what was to come of this character, Tristan.  I just wondered why so many years went by, before it came to this ending.  In a way, this may sound cruel.

 

The story is mainly about homosexuality, the setting is just another period of time in which these characters come to life.  The story gives us a look into the lives who experience and live it, and those who don't.

 

The turn of the century, during the Great War, reminds me of the battles of past, and the battles of all the wars after, and those yet to come.  It's all a metaphor..... It's heartbreaking, in that no one should have to fight a war, where the enemy looks exactly like you.  For those of us on the outside looking into these battles, or looking into these lives, we make our judgments from someone else's experiences, from Tristan's, from Will's, and all the men and women who were there.

 

This writer gives a good account of war.  Insanity under pressure, which recalls what is going on in our current age of wars. It's just a different time, and a different piece of land we're standing upon.  War is war.  Blood, sweat and tears are all the same.  Heartbreaking and senseless.  I've witnessed this on a personal level, of people in my life.

 

You try to form your opinions as you read along in this story.  You change your mind as you go.  It's hard to make sense of war.  It's hard to make sense of the minds who form their negative views against homosexuality.  We all look alike, we just don't all wear the same uniform.

 

The white feather was significant in this story.  It would behoove anyone who reads this book, to look up what this means before you read on.  As I said, the ending was predictable for me, I just wondered why it took Tristan eighty some odd years to come to it.  But, you wouldn't have gotten to hear his story, otherwise.  There was a disconcerting time lag in the end, in which some circumstances weren't made clear to the reader.  The circumstances were mentioned, but were never discussed by the characters.  It's as if this writer thought they were not significant enough to make the effort.

 

All in all, It was well written-----all but one thing, which drove me nuts.  I wish this writer wouldn't have all his characters biting their lip.  It distracted me, and weakened my flow of reading.  I thought, OMG, not again!  It's such a trite character movement, and an empty throw-away line.

 

And on that note, I'll bid adieu.  

I wish you all happy reading, 

Kathy

 

 


Ryan, You are absolutely right about the fear.  I know how, and why, each of us internalize what we read, and to what depths these can become personal.  I did feel for these characters, throughout the book, but I also understood why they chose to do what they did.

 

I knew why Will continually pulled back from Tirstan.  Will knew what would happen to him in the big pictureif he continued his relationship.  Acceptance in one's family, or society, holds more importance for some, than others.  They were both caught up in an emotionally no win situation.

 

As I've read a lot about Virginia Woolf, and the people in her life, I realized, while reading this book, that this period in time was significant to how people viewed relationships such as Will and Tistan's.  

 

Of course, the fear was there, and the disdain, and the disgust, but this author, John Boyne, chose to portray his characters in this way.  He portrayed all the negative, and nothing of any positive significance.  Each writer will give you what they want you to hear.  The time laps at the ending of the book, would have made a whole book in itself, but this author chose to end it abruptly on a negative, and not a positive note.  This is why the fear sticks out so boldly in the mind.

 

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Absolutist by John Boyne - A short review


Ryan_G wrote:

Thanks Deb :-)   Here is the link:  http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-absolutist-by-john-boyne.html

 


dhaupt wrote:
Thanks Ryan, that's a wonderful observation and it's true for me too. The books that I read that make me take a good look at my own choices and paths are the ones that are sometimes the hardest to read and to talk about, but then life is like that and I guess as long as we're able to take the good with the bad and not only learn from it but grow from it then it's worth it.
could you give us a link to the review Ryan, I'd like to read it please :smileyhappy:




Thanks for the link Ryan, great review as usual :smileyhappy:

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Absolutist by John Boyne - A short review


Vermontcozy wrote:
I agree with Deb 100% Ryan..Sent your Review to a friend..The time Frame fits in well with Downton Abbey..Where homosexual aspects are present...I am in DA rehab. .January 2013 for us..Tomorrow for Britain. ..

hi Suse, thanks for the visit

Are the Leaves turning yet in your wonderful state 

good to see you :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

On a Farther Shore by William Souder

I know this is nonfiction, but I wanted to let you guys know that On a Farther Shore was a wonderful book to read.  I didn't know much about Rachel Carson before this, and I must admit I feel ashamed for not ever reading her books, something I hope to fix soon.  

 

Here is my full review if anyone is interested, there is a giveaway with it as well:  http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2012/09/on-farther-shore-by-rachel-carson-plus.html

 

On a Farther Shore  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: On a Farther Shore by William Souder


Ryan_G wrote:

I know this is nonfiction, but I wanted to let you guys know that On a Farther Shore was a wonderful book to read.  I didn't know much about Rachel Carson before this, and I must admit I feel ashamed for not ever reading her books, something I hope to fix soon.  

 

Here is my full review if anyone is interested, there is a giveaway with it as well:  http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2012/09/on-farther-shore-by-rachel-carson-plus.html

 

On a Farther Shore  


Wow Ryan. Thanks, this is a book I'd love to delve into

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Mark My Words event in CT.

The Mark Twain House and Museum presents

Mark My Words an event with sbnyt_MarkMyWords2012ePostcard_1.jpg

 

http://www.twainmarkmywords.com/

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Speechless-Celebrating National Bully Prevention Month

Hannah Harrington's newest novel talks about differences and bullying, consequences for our actions.

Speechless  

see my review on my blog

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2012/10/review-of-speechless-by-hannah.html

Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

The Dovekeepers  

 

I would use the words atmospheric and poetic to describe the language of this book.  It was slow paced, I think because so much that was unsaid was revealed descriptively, but it was never boring as there was always something happening.  The story was told from the viewpoints of four women, each taking approximately one quarter of the book, which added dimension to the story.  The book brought history to life.  If you do read the book, be sure to view the gallery of pictures on the author’s website, alicehoffman.com and other photos available on the internet.

 

 

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
Posts: 1,104
Registered: ‎06-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

[ Edited ]

City 

City of Bones

  

I stumbled across this book and for 2.99 decided to give it a go.  it is over

 

 

1000 pages. Set in the far distant future, it is the story of good against evil

 

 

with wonderful twists.The answers to the world's issues and survival can

 

 

only be found int the ruins of the ancient cities.  I am about half way through

 

 

the book and love it.

 

 

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

The Gargoyle, a novel by Andrew Davidson - Reviewed

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: The Gargoyle, a novel by Andrew Davidson - Reviewed


KathyS wrote:

http://kathys-aliceinwonderland.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-review-gargoyle-novel-by-andrew.html

 

The Gargoyle


Kathy, what a wonderful tribute to this work of literary fiction!!!

Wordsmith
babzilla41
Posts: 252
Registered: ‎05-04-2009
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

The Homecoming of Samuel Lake  

 

I just finished reading this book and I'd like to recommend it. It's not a new book; I stumbled on it and am so glad that I did.  When reading this book, you'll go through a whole range of emotions and when done, will have a hard time letting go of one of the main characters, Swan Lake - a sweet little spitfire who has a heart of gold. 

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed


babzilla41 wrote:

The Homecoming of Samuel Lake  

 

I just finished reading this book and I'd like to recommend it. It's not a new book; I stumbled on it and am so glad that I did.  When reading this book, you'll go through a whole range of emotions and when done, will have a hard time letting go of one of the main characters, Swan Lake - a sweet little spitfire who has a heart of gold. 


Thanks for the recommendation babzilla, it's one I hadn't heard of.

And thanks for posting it for us.

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Publisher's Weekly Best books of the week 10-26

Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Publisher's Weekly Best books of the week 10-26


dhaupt wrote:

Here's PW's choices, 

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/tip-sheet/article/54498-pw-picks-the-best-...

 

what were yours


I would chose ...

The Art Forger  

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Publisher's Weekly Best books of the week 10-26


Fozzie wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Here's PW's choices, 

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/tip-sheet/article/54498-pw-picks-the-best-...

 

what were yours


I would chose ...

The Art Forger  


Thanks Laura, good to see you!

New User
LucyNolan
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎10-29-2012
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- The Wake of Forgiveness

Look like is so good.

Leather Football boots can be polished and if you prefer